1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

Discussion in 'Civ5 - New Civilizations' started by TPangolin, Oct 23, 2013.

1. CorimKnight

CorimKnight Warlord

I've got to agree. While the lobsterman was good for a laugh, I feel that the joke would quickly wear thin after having to look at the lobster resource image time and time again. Hopefully that is just a gag and TPangolin isn't being serious about that being the image.

2. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I've been following this thread for a while now, and after witnessing enough of TP's sense of humor, I can gaurantee this was a joke and it won't actually appear in the mod.

3. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

I wish I could believe you.
    But in the existing Australia and Canada mods, there are unique Giant Death Robots with tons of extra strength and unique names such as Vulcan Striker and Tango Tasmania. Plus the Inuit Seals resource civilopedia entry announces that you get +1 Food, +1 Production, +1 Angry Animal Rights Activists.
    I'm a bit worried.

4. CorimKnight

CorimKnight Warlord

Good grief, I need to try teching towards GDR more often. And I should probably go read the civilopedia entries for the Inuit, it sounds like I've been missing out.

But yeah, I think that Civitar's concerns are actually legit in this matter. Not that the presence of Lobsterman would ruin the experience, it'd just be a bit annoying. (Although I could live with it.)

5. DoctorMcGann

DoctorMcGann Emperor

I'm having the same issue with Bison someone mentioned previously. While not playing as the blackfoot, my workers take damage from ordinary bison.

6. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

No, no, false alarm. While the super-GDRs (they're called Jaegers in the files) are present in the mods, they're basically standing alone in the database (the UnitClassOverrides that would add them to their appropriate civs are missing). So you wouldn't actually get them ingame.
    Still, it threw me for a bit when I was coding the units for the Settler's Pack; no longer will I wonder at the occasional oddities of Colonialist Legacies when I find that kind of typo...
    Happy New Year!

7. GeneralSecura

GeneralSecura Chieftain

Never noticed those Pacific Rim easter eggs. The Mexican Jaeger seems to be missing.

8. CorimKnight

CorimKnight Warlord

9. dilophosaur

dilophosaur Prince

No real strategy at all. Star Wars, crappy CS, crappy STALKER, and so on.

10. TheLohoped

TheLohoped Known today as TLPD-AVW

So Real Time Strategy games are not strategy games anymore?

11. dilophosaur

dilophosaur Prince

Theoretically they are, but not "pure" strategies like the Cossacks or EU series.

12. CorimKnight

CorimKnight Warlord

I'm beginning to regret mentioning that top ten list. Just because a game is Turn Based Strategy doesn't make it somehow "pure" whilst Real Time Strategy games are not. Both genres require careful planning and organisation, regardless of how long the game itself goes on for, or the mechanics used to depict the game itself.

13. TheLohoped

TheLohoped Known today as TLPD-AVW

Cossacks games are RTS similar to Age of Empires.

14. dilophosaur

dilophosaur Prince

They are similar to Microsoft RTS, but more complicated than simple clicking on "produce an unit" button.
    I didn't mention than turn strategies are "worse" than non-turn ones. HoMM is a turn strategy (like Civ series). I think that "purity" of strategy is sth more than just simple clicking on "produce sth" button faster and faster. This is similar to the diversity of cRPG games: RPGs (PT, Baldur's Gate, NWN) and Hack'n'Slash (Diablo). Is it clear now?

15. TheD3rp

TheD3rp Lowly Footsoldier

So, all RTS games are just clicking on buttons? That's racist.

16. CorimKnight

CorimKnight Warlord

I don't know what RTS games you've been playing, since I've never played one that entirely boiled down to "click faster to win". I used to follow the StarCraft 2 competitive scene, and although being able to perform a high number of actions per minute is certainly a good thing, having an impressive APM meant nothing if you didn't know when it was an appropriate time to build another base, what combination of units would serve as the best counter to your opponent's army, or how you should coordinate your troops in combat.

I think get what you're trying to say, but I have to disagree with you.

17. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

Anangu Aboriginals
    Start Bias: Desert
    Colours: Brown/Orange
    It's still the next one to be released. We aimed to release it earlier, but there have been setbacks since it's the holidays and timezones are difficult to manage when the core people involved in this project are from Australia, Canada and the UK.

Thanks! I'll pass this onto Neirai. I wasn't aware of the Inuit decisions still being broken. I'll have to poke Neirai to see if I uploaded the wrong version.

Lol

Yep!

There's a difference between Easter Eggs and Jokes in this context and full on adding the art of a man in a Lobster suit for a Lobster Luxury Resource.

The Giant Death Robots weren't intended to have extra strength - just unique names akin to Great Generals. They're based off of the Pacific Rim Jaegers like Striker Eureka and Gypsy Danger.

We intended to include Matador Fury, but it I think we just forgot to include it. We need to include more Jaeger's in the Settlers pack for America(s), Russia(s), Japan, Korea, Chile and Peru.

It'd be great if we could come up with some names for our other civs like Buffalo Soldier for the Blackfoot etc.

All our civs have hidden Easter Eggs in their pedias ;)

Seriously? lol

Moddb.com hardly has any Civ V mods on there. It was a very niche poll.

18. CorimKnight

CorimKnight Warlord

This rocks! I've looking forward to seeing how the Anangu would turn out, and I love what you've got planned. It's cool that we'll have a different outlet for Faith instead of just a religion. A civ that can expand its border so quickly would be a great change of pace. Can't wait to get it a burl.

19. OrderofOlav

OrderofOlav King of Procrastination

:D oooh that border mechanic, really original (I think atleast). Cool you can benefit from it early on, its like Shoshone's UA but better. Would make it tempting to steal their cities :mischief: (as with the Shoshones)

20. Neirai

Neirai the Forgiven

There became a lot of RTS games that stopped being about Strategy at all and deserve to be called "Real Time Army Management without much Management" games. Or what my cousin called "Empire Building Games" although that sounds a lot like 4X Strategy.