1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

Discussion in 'Civ5 - New Civilizations' started by TPangolin, Oct 23, 2013.

1. GPuzzle

GPuzzle Available in wax cylinder!

Wait, if JFD is in control of Eurasia, who the heck is in control of Eastasia?

I'm imagining an early Trostky vs Stalin scenario where TPangolin thinks he's the Big Brother and Legui is Goldstein, while Leugi thinks he is Big Brother and TPangolin is Goldstein.

2. Zantonius Hamm

Zantonius Hamm Gay anime communist

I imagine Light in the East is Eastasia.

3. bouncymischa

bouncymischa Synthetic Genie

All your anime and video games are belong to us. :p

EDIT: Although LITE would work as well...

4. Zantonius Hamm

Zantonius Hamm Gay anime communist

While we're still on that topic: we need 1984 civs. Oh, man, that would be amazing...

5. GPuzzle

Always War*.

*with Eastasia.

6. Eli Khaliif

Eli Khaliif Somali Modder, not Pirate

Pretty soon I'll be in control of my home continent of Africa... possibly...

7. Natan35

Natan35 Mayor of St. Natansburg

I'm here till it happens!

8. BttLsht

BttLsht Chieftain

I just begun reading 1984 for my book report a few weeks ago, really enjoying myself with my pick, the amount of fridge horror is quite amusing for me.

9. MadmanOfALeader

MadmanOfALeader Chieftain

I think given Mandela is the leader, the springbok might be too much a symbol of apartheid-era SA. Which is why most of the teams changed their nickname to the Proteas, except for rugby, which is the sport of white people anyway, and that Mandela insisted they keep the springbok as the mascot.

The SA coat of arms isn't an old symbol, but it gets across the idea of "ubuntu" well. Union in diversity.

10. GPuzzle

Ah, great, now I can finally install an OS via a coat of arms!

*badumtss*

11. Arwon

Arwon

The Proteas were already an Apartheid era segregated national union team I believe.

12. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

Anyway, are we happy when it comes to the design of things? Everything is still tentative to change. Also, 5 days :)

13. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Sometimes I think this might be the problem with the CL mods thread. You ask the community for their input into a civ’s design, but then you wind up getting a dozen different, conflicting responses, and everyone starts bickering back and forth about what they like or don’t like and how things should be or shouldn’t be, and then the design phase hits a snag. Sometimes it’s just better to say, “here’s my new civ – like it or not,” and be done with it. Or maybe just ask for opinions about the mechanics of a specific Unique rather than all the Uniques of the entire civ.

It’s similar to when you have a bunch of guests over and you decide to order some pizzas for dinner: if you ask what everyone wants for toppings, you get overwhelmed with a myriad of responses; you’re better off just ordering a couple cheeses, a couple pepperonis, and a peppers & onion and let them cope with it.

I do appreciate your thoughtfulness and consideration in asking us for our thoughts, but it usually just winds up mucking things up.

14. TPangolin

When I ask for input on a particular civ, it's because that particular civ is far down the line in the production queue. As a general rule of thumb, the less I talk about and ask for input about any particular civ, the higher up they are in the production queue. This goes for civs like Nigeria, Libya, Ashanti, Wabanaki, Malaysia and the Zapotecs.

The design phase likewise has not hit any snags. We have a solid design, and it's more of a case of speak now or forever hold your peace.

But if you think I should be more insular in the way I approach things then I'm certainly happy to feed you guys less information.

15. Natan35

So... Zimbabwe? ;)

16. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Oh crap, I hope I didn't just have a "teacher, you forgot to assign us homework" moment :shifty:

I have no problem with teases and spoilers. And it's good to know that some of the civs I've been looking forward to the most haven't been talked about much lately. I thought that meant they were further down on the design list - it's reassuring to see that the opposite is true :) I hope I didn't come off as too ungrateful.

17. LoneRebel

LoneRebel Chieftain

8/8 m8s.

18. Natan35

Civitar (great prophet) has been born in the city of New London.

(We shall spread the SQLism in our cities now!)

19. Hoop Thrower

Hoop Thrower Cyberbolivarian Inkarri

Well, I still like the design I had for Cuba:

Unique Ability: ¡Viva la Revolución!
    +5% Great Person :c5greatperson: points for every City State you've pledged to Protect. +10 Influence :c5influence: with every City State at war with a civ you've denounced.

Unique Building: Dance Hall
    +1 Culture :c5culture:. Unlike the Opera House that it replaces, when the Great Work of Music slot is filled in a Dance Hall - the city gains +1 :c5happy: Happiness and :c5production: Military production is increased by 10%. After an Ideology is adopted, the Dance Hall will provide a +10% Bonus to Great Musicians.

Unique Unit: Guerrillero
    Replacing the GWI, the Guerrillero Ignores Terrain Cost and May move after attacking. Gifted Guerrilleros gain the "Guevarist" promotion, allowing them to make nearby units earn experience faster.

Mostly because it avoids the ugly resistance feature that was shown on the Cuba civ that was posted in this thread and I'd rather like to see a City State focused Cuba, that said, I've grown accustomed to the design you proposed many, many months ago for Cuba, and odds are what you've got in the works now is really different right now, but still, I wanted to point out this.

Hm, yeah, I fear I may have been in a complaining mood lately.

20. TPangolin

Out of curiousity, what's the motive behind your Cuba design being City-State focused?