Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

Well that's a bit misleading. I'm not proposing that at all.

What I proposed is rather a randomised system akin to a lucky draw. You'd code it by giving Cuba faux unique Great People - all with the ¡Viva la Revolución! ability. Whenever you trigger that ability - you receive a new one in the Capital, but you don't choose what you get. The GP you'd receive is the normal one the game provides you with i.e without the reroll function.

It's very similar to the Events and Decisions - "Request a Great Person/Promote the Arts" Decisions.

Which is pointless...

Pointless or not, is there much precedent in Cuban history of a flexibility of its great people? Do Cuban artists make the best scientists in the world? Do her engineers draw religious devotees from around the globe?

I don't think so, its a really neat idea, and I'd love to see it used somewhere, I just don't see 'May exchange Great People' and think 'Oh man, that's so Cuba!'

Well that's a bit misleading. I'm not proposing that at all.

What I proposed is rather a randomised system akin to a lucky draw. You'd code it by giving Cuba faux unique Great People - all with the ¡Viva la Revolución! ability. Whenever you trigger that ability - you receive a new one in the Capital, but you don't choose what you get. The GP you'd receive is the normal one the game provides you with i.e without the reroll function.

It's very similar to the Events and Decisions - "Request a Great Person/Promote the Arts" Decisions.
That seems much more fair. Thanks for explaning!

Anywho - with all that being said, can we think of any Revolution themed sort of mechanics for Cuba? (keeping in mind the GP/Military blend)

How about this:

Normally: when you reach -10 :c5angry: , 2 barbarian "rebel" units are spawned.
Cuba: when you reach -5 :c5angry: , you have a 50% chance of going through 2 turns of Anarchy, but 2 Cuban "rebel" units are spawned (perhaps even the UU once you learn the corresponding tech).

NOTE - numbers can be tweaked for optimum balance

Pointless or not, is there much precedent in Cuban history of a flexibility of its great people? Do Cuban artists make the best scientists in the world? Do her engineers draw religious devotees from around the globe?

I don't think so, its a really neat idea, and I'd love to see it used somewhere, I just don't see 'May exchange Great People' and think 'Oh man, that's so Cuba!'

Maybe... great people may be expanded for combat boost (say, 20% combat boost for 10 turns)?
Or.... great people may be gifted to other civs\CS's to give you a diplomatic boost\make CS your ally...(not to increase your influence, but to make it your ally for some turns).
Or to add cities that belong to civs who have ideology other then yours become part of your empire.
You could as well give it up, but...:p

It's rather to express people being presented with one idea (Great Person) then completely overthrowing it via a people's Revolution What I proposed isn't akin to to one Artist making scientific advances, it's rather being confronted with an Artist, and then the people reject their ideas in favour of something else.

It's rather to express people being presented with one idea (Great Person) then completely overthrowing it via a people's Revolution What I proposed isn't akin to to one Artist making scientific advances, it's rather being confronted with an Artist, and then the people reject their ideas in favour of something else.

And what's random in that?

And what's random in that?

Well there have been many, many precedents of "revolution" in Cuban history, and many have been in different forms - be it scientific advancements, political reform, cultural upheavals, religious changes and too many more to list. Many of these revolutions were revolutions simply because they changed the system so much. As such, people were presented with grand ideas - but it were the more revolutionary ideas that shaped Cuban History.

See Organiponicos, Microbrigada, International Interventionism, Secular Governance, Afrocubanismo, The Battle of Yaguajay etc.

What I was trying to represent, were the Cuban people being presented with something new, but not wanting that in favour of something more "revolutionary".

I'm also not seeing how it'd be pointless. It can see myself using this ability quite often. The more interesting part would be that you have the chance to also receive a GP unique to another civ.

I play with over 150 Custom Civs - I wish I could have your luck.

So many Merchants......

*shudders*

How about this:

Normally: when you reach -10 :c5angry: , 2 barbarian "rebel" units are spawned.
Cuba: when you reach -5 :c5angry: , you have a 50% chance of going through 2 turns of Anarchy, but 2 Cuban "rebel" units are spawned (perhaps even the UU once you learn the corresponding tech).

NOTE - numbers can be tweaked for optimum balance

I dunno; I don't like UAs that either have harmful effects or rely on the user, well, sucking :p.

I've had a few Cuban UA ideas, but most Civs developed by the CL team have pretty unique UAs, and mine where rather boring ideas like "Gain golden age points from adopting social policies" or something.

There aren't many Unique Great Merchants out there - and if I received a Merchant of Venice, a Great Voyageur or even an Mburuchi that'd be stellar.

I just get Steve Jobs as a regular Merchant - and that sucks.

I dunno; I don't like UAs that either have harmful effects or rely on the user, well, sucking :p.

I've had a few Cuban UA ideas, but most Civs developed by the CL team have pretty unique UAs, and mine where rather boring ideas like "Gain golden age points from adopting social policies" or something.

That wouldn't be the entirety of the UA, or else it would be pretty lackluster. I usually don't have a problem with Happiness on the level I play, but I'm sure on higher difficulties it would be much easier to get to -5 :c5angry:

a cuba UA should definitely revolve around less ideological pressure. maybe even an innate ability that blocks tourism modifiers like the firewall?

another idea could be like patria grande's gran colombia in that you gain diplo stuff for fighting for/liberating civs and CS to represent cuba's help in the congo.

Happiness for conquering cities of that once were yours?

So here's a new question, keeping in mind that we don't need any new ideas for the UU and UB, how would you represent Cuba entering a state of Revolution that wouldn't be detrimental to the player?

The first idea that comes to mind is something stupid like the UA changing radically between Eras. As if you were playing a civ until industrial and then something completly different once you reach that era.

Also, a South American CL civ? I'm officially hyped!

My thought goes like this: why not combine everyone's favorite Anarchy mechanic with the ¡Viva la Revolución! ability? So using ¡Viva la Revolución! causes Anarchy as a drawback.

Also, the more you use it, the more Anarchy you get. By which I mean, the amount of Anarchy you get should be related to the amount of Great Person Points you are "creating" by moving from one type to another. In this way, if you have a fast way to create, say, Writers, but are converting them to something much more rare (Musicians? Engineers?) you will suffer more Anarchy than if you go the other way.

One could calculate the penalty after the fact and have a random result (based on the resulting GP), or calculate it ahead of time (based on the current unit.)

Alternatively, you could also allow for a negative penalty in the form of Golden Age turns.

That's an interesting concept. Anarchy/Resistance is really debilitating in essence though - so it'd be interesting if we can come up with a concept where it's actually a strong suit for Cuba.

My thought goes like this: why not combine everyone's favorite Anarchy mechanic with the ¡Viva la Revolución! ability? So using ¡Viva la Revolución! causes Anarchy as a drawback.

Also, the more you use it, the more Anarchy you get. By which I mean, the amount of Anarchy you get should be related to the amount of Great Person Points you are "creating" by moving from one type to another. In this way, if you have a fast way to create, say, Writers, but are converting them to something much more rare (Musicians? Engineers?) you will suffer more Anarchy than if you go the other way.

One could calculate the penalty after the fact and have a random result (based on the resulting GP), or calculate it ahead of time (based on the current unit.)

Alternatively, you could also allow for a negative penalty in the form of Golden Age turns.

I guess you never played with Brazil... musicians aren't more rare then other cultural GPs, they just appear late.
Also, I think Cuba's UA should make them ignore world ideology, and give them the ability to immediately change ideology.

Top Bottom