1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

Discussion in 'Civ5 - New Civilizations' started by TPangolin, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Eli Khaliif

Eli Khaliif Somali Modder, not Pirate

Here's a hint. One time Eric Clapton and a sour patch kid read Time magazine together.

2. Natan35

Natan35 Mayor of St. Natansburg

I don't know what sour patch kid is. This is more complicated then JFD's hint sentences.

3. DoctorMcGann

DoctorMcGann Emperor

Sour patch kids are a type of candy. I'm not sure if they have them in Israel or not, though.

4. Natan35

Ohhhh does thing. Yep, still no clue.

5. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

Alrighty, let's talk about Zimbabwe. It'd be a shame if we we're going to not use the Selous Scout graphics made by Civitar, but I guess if worst comes to worst - we can relegate it to decisions.

Anyway, does anyone have any initial ideas about Zimbabwe? I have my own plans, but I want to see how well the mesh with others.

6. Eli Khaliif

Eli Khaliif Somali Modder, not Pirate

I made the capital for Zimbabwe Danamombe because of it being the capital of Changamire Dombo's Rozwi Empire, and I had Harare as the second city. What do you guys think of that?

7. SuperWaffle247

SuperWaffle247 Secretary General

The one from like a year ago where they would get gold for internal trade routes struck me as simple, elegant and game-shaping. I think we should be striving to represent both the Kingdom of Zimbabwe and the Rozvi with this civ, so it would make more sense to me to have Great Zimbabwe as the first city, then Danamombe. Harare might be best reserved for Rhodesia? But that's only my vision for what this civ should represent. I honestly don't know that much about the area.

My hesitance on the Selous Scouts is that they're more Rhodesian than anything. Also they're white and a unit of the colonizers. It'd be like giving a Boer unit to the South Africa civ, or Digger to the Anangu. It's very possible that I'm misunderstanding the perception of them, though.

8. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

How dare you not use it?! See if I ever make you anything again.
    :mischief:

9. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

Given the civ is Zimbabwe and not Rozwi, Mapungubwe, Mutapa or even the Kingdom of Zimbabwe, I think Harare is the better option. Plus is lessens the conflict if any of the others are made at later stages, as well as better represents Zimbabwe as a whole instead of just one period of its history, which seems to be the goal of CL civs.

10. Natan35

Trade routes! We shall trade with the great Zimbabwe National wonder!
    (UB that gives food and production from all trade routes, UW that requires it, UA based on city connections\internal trade routes increasing city strength)

11. TPangolin

Harare was founded as Salisbury in 1890, so whilst I'm not against having it as the capital - it's unpreferable for me.

As for what the Capital is going to be, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, seeing as we're yet to decide on a centralised theme. I'm more interested in what attributes people want to see in this civ - which was the original question I posed.

12. SuperWaffle247

I think we should focus on internal trade. Zimbabwe and other successor kingdoms were known for facilitating the coastal to interior trade. This can be represented using internal trade routes, or even something like the new Caral civ, except with more classical/medieval gold than food. I think we should focus on representing the Kingdom of Zimbabwe, Mutapa, Rozwi, and we should leave the colonial era to Rhodesia from Kramer. The postcolonial era...probably should be left alone because it's a mess.

EDIT: I think Natan's barking up the right tree. I'm not usually into unique NWs but it could work here! The only problem with it that I have is that it could be too similar to Afghanistan, being a tall trade empire. We should keep that in mind.

13. Hoop Thrower

Hoop Thrower Cyberbolivarian Inkarri

Heh, sounds like everyone's trying to recreate LastSword's Zimbabwe here.

14. turingmachine

turingmachine Emperor

Colonialist Legacies should leave the colonial era alone!?!?! If anything, Colonialist Legacies should be specifically focusing on a colonial era Zimbabwe civ.

15. Hoop Thrower

Hoop Thrower Cyberbolivarian Inkarri

Hm, what about increasing production in cities which receive/start trading routes? That'd be flavorful to what's been tried to represent and I think no one has tried that before.

16. SuperWaffle247

A high-quality Rhodesia civ already exists. Moreover, we do pre-colonial cisv too.

17. Dark Pig

Dark Pig Chieftain

Thanks for all the mods and hard work you put into this project Tpangolin!

18. turingmachine

turingmachine Emperor

Well, I guess that begs the question, if there's already a high quality version of the civ in Colonialist Legacies' specific purview, why make another version at all? You guys make great civs, but your upcoming civ list is so long, why not just switch to working on a more unrepresented colonial civ?

19. TPangolin

Because we're not making a Rhodesia, we're making a primarily pre-colonial Zimbabwe. We're talking about a civ way down the line. We know our release schedule - and we're sticking to it.

20. SuperWaffle247

Read my post again. We do both precolonial and colonial. Rhodesia is not Zimbabwe. Sort of like how America isn't the same as the Native Americans they colonized. Doing both natives and colonial powers is CL tradition.