Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

We already do - the leader.

Ooo!
Then zimbabwe UB. maybe that stores food.

We already have a UB. I'm asking for UU's ._.

And yet?:)lol:)
Well, there's that:
Rozwi Militia
Replaces longswordsman. Does not require iron, and performs a :c5rangedstrength: ranged attack before engaging in melee combat. Receives bonus vs. Melee units. Has Defence penalty, and no defensive terrain bonus.
And this:
Matabele Impi
Replaces Longswordsman. Does not require iron, but has lower :c5strength: combat strength. Starts with the Buffalo horns and Shock I promotions.

EDIT: reworded to reduce redundancy of phrases that were redundant which are now removed and reworded.

An idea for part of Zimbabwe UA could be receiving free luxuries in coastal cities that are connected to cities working gold, copper or ivory. To limit the ability a bit, you'd only get one free luxury for every gold/copper/ivory in the empire.

I'm struggling to find a UU in my shallow research. Rozvi means "destroyer" so that seems like a possible source but I can't find any details. My only other idea is a generic thing, perhaps representing the way early Bantu, of which the Shona were a part.

An idea for the Zimbabwe UA which I'm not sure that would be interesting is that City Connections generate Culture, and for every 3 Social Policies you have, cities gain +2 production.

Culture/Trade/Defensive in CL? Shome mistake shurely! =]

Anyway, the one I designed ages back was roughly as follows:-

---

Zimbabwe (Changamire Dombo)
Start Bias: Hills/Plains (I can't remember which one it was)
UA: Chain Across The Highveld
Internal Trade Routes generate :c5gold: Gold equal to 50% of their :c5food: Food or :c5production: Production output, rising to 100% after Economics is researched. +5% bonus to :c5production: Wonder Production for each National and World Wonder in the :c5capital: Capital.
UB: Dzimba Dza Mabwe (replaces Castle)
Standard Castle benefits. +10% additional :c5strength: City Defensiveness for each Luxury Resource in range of the City in which it is built. Additionally, generates a +2% :c5production: Production bonus for each City with a Dzimba Dza Mabwe connected to your Trade Network.
UU: Amabutho (replaces Lancer)
Gains the Lancer's traits and promotions, but is radically different. It does not count as a Mounted Unit, but rather a standard Melee Unit, and is slower, with a base movement of 3. However, it does not require any Horses and starts with a unique promotion, "Shangani Patrol", grants a percentage :c5strength: Combat Bonus when attacking a stronger enemy Unit equal to twice the difference in stats. Upgrades to Rifleman.

---

How the Shangani Patrol works:

Your Amabutho (Strength 25) is attacking a Rifleman (Strength 34). 34-25 = 9, and 9x2 = 18. You get an 18% Combat Bonus.

If your Amabutho is attacking a Knight (strength 20), then you get no bonus. Sorry.

If your Amabutho is attacking a Ranged Unit (say, a Rocket Artillery), then you use the melee strength - 55-25 = 30, 30x2 = 60, and you get a 60% Combat Bonus, which you will need if you are still using bloody Lancers by the time your opponents have Rocket Artillery. =]

---

So, there's my four-penn'orth. The other unique should be Wonder Production, since CL... kinda doesn't have that yet, not even in the planned Civs in TP's magic book. Oh. Er. Should probably not have mentioned TP's magic book he'll turn me into a fr-

ribbit. ribbit ribbit.

heres something you cant find in wikipedia...
oooo TPang has got a magic book!
that explains why the boers make those voices dissapear all the time...

I really like that idea. Especially the wonder part.

Here's my 2 (billion) Zimbabwean cents:

UA: Great Road to Zvongombe
Coastal cities with an :trade: internal trade route to or from the Zimbabwean :c5capital: capital receive all :c5gold: gold modifiers applied in the :c5capital: capital without the necessary buildings. :trade: International trade routes sent from Zimbabwean coastal cities generate +1 :c5food: food in the :c5capital: capital.

UB: Dzimba-hwe (Replaces castle)
Though granting significantly less :c5strength: strength than the castle it replaces, the Dzimba-hwe grants +5% :c5gold: gold in this city for every worked quarry, and if built in a city with a nearby source of stone, grants an additional :trade: trade route slot. (a maximum of 3 :trade: trade routes may be gained this way.)

UU: Rozvi (Replaces pikeman)
The Rovzi is no stronger than the pikeman it replaces, and is slightly more :c5production: expensive, however when adjacent to :c5rangedstrength: ranged units, it grants them +15% :c5strength: defensive strength, and when adjacent to melee units grants them +10% :c5strength: combat strength against cavalry.

The UA would work thus: if you've built a market in the capital, all coastal cities receive the +25% gold boost from that market until one is built there. Its meant to encourage a tall capital with lots of buildings with some coastal cities which don't require the same level of development, as Zimbabwe traditionally functioned, generally leaving the coast to do its own thing as long as the money kept flowing. The Rozvi was inspired by the fact that the famous and ingenious tactics engineered by Shaka of using comined arms to maximise the strength of every type of warrior in his army, by allowing them to work together rather than seperately, was actually pioneered by the Rovzi several centuries *before* Shaka was born. This is well documented by Portugeuse sources, who had their butts kicked out of Zimbabwe several times by these tactics. Finally, the Dzimba-hwe is supposed to represent the prestige granted by the Shona mastery of utilising stone in their buildings, hence the bonus from quarries and the huge boost of getting up to 3 free trade routes, which may or may not be hideously overpowered, I'm not sure yet.

IDK, city connections in general are kind of boring. You almost always connect them anyway. You're essentially just giving the civ a bonus in every city.

Good point, changed it.

My turn my turn!

Zimbabwe:)lol:)
UA:Glory of the Zimbabwe
Cities connected to the capital via road provide :c5culture: culture(1, increased by 1 per every 2 eras you pass) and receive increased city :c5strength: defensive strength, :c5food: foodand :c5production: production from from defensive buildings. Domestic :trade: trade routes yield :c5production: production, :c5food: food and :c5culture: culture from resource diversity in trade routes.
UB:Imba-bwe
Replaces castle. Costs 2 :c5gold: maintenance. Acts as source of the soapstone unique bonus resource, that provides extra :c5culture: culture and :c5production: production from :trade: trade routes. Stores 25% of the :c5food: food when new :c5citizen: citizen is born.
UU:Rozwi
Replaces Longswordsman. Receives bonus against melee units(25%), but comes with lower :c5strength: combat strength(20 vs. 21). Receives bonus in non-neutral lands.

Explanation(s): i wanted to make something interested, that would suit building a wide empire, but that will still be culture focused, and also make domestic trade routes worthy of maintaining. The Rozwi took Zimbabwe by force, and then protected it, so i gave them non neutral lands bonus. Imba-bwe is, basically, "stone house".

Could Zimbabwe being a landlocked power be up played maybe? Like, instant connection with the capital for all non coastal cities? It still references trade routes without actual trade routes, since those seem to be a pet subject.....

(yes I know it is a dull concept)

Oh also, Southern Rhodesia (so colonial Zimbabwe, not Ian Smith's Rhodesia) had a mounted unit in their police forces (BSAP) which sounds/looks kind of cool, their police was pretty militaristic......
Did you want to include colonial Zimbabwe, or only pre-colonial?

Hm... is it possible to create some sort of land harbour (In the sense of them insta-connecting to capital when built).

Also, I'd reiterate my suggestion of trade routes increasing production for buildings as an interesting idea for the UA.

Maybe "Each active trade route increases production towards wonders in the capital"? I think there's no strictly Wonder Rush focused civ yet, even if the Khmer are kinda close.

Top Bottom