Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

Nope! This is Zimbabwe:

Think outside Africa

I've been looking for my eagle with lion legs sitting on a picnic basket

Btw, did you make that icon just to show Pouakai he was wrong, or is that a legit civ colonialist legacies is gonna make????????????????????????????????????????????

A coincidence AW a coincidence! As said previously, think outside Africa. The Bird on the basket is indeed called the Zimbabwe Bird, and he's pretty darn funky if you ask me.

And yes, Zimbabwe will be a legitimate Colonialist Legacies civ! :)

The new civ is Afgahnistan!

Leader: Mirwais Hotak
Colours: Deep Green/Creme
Start Bias: Hills
Capital: Kabul
UA: The Graveyard of Empires - Great Works of Writing produce an additional +1 :c5culture: Culture for every Era advanced. After your first :greatwork: Great Writer is born, Caravans become 50% cheaper.
UI: Dida - Can be built on any land tile and provides +1 :c5gold: Gold and +1 :c5food: Food, with their tile yields doubled if built adjacent to a mountain. Trade Routes that pass over a tile with a Dida generate points towards Great Writers in the :c5capital: Capital. Units stationed on a Dida receive also receive a 15% bonus defensive combat bonus. Unlocked at Horseback Riding
UU: Zamburak (Camel Gunners): Slightly more expensive than the Gattling Gun it replaces, the Zamburak has +3 :c5moves: Movement and can move after attacking.

Ignore this. I forgot pages exist.

Do you have an alpha for the NamDragon?

I know it's not technically Afghan in origin, but can I cast my vote for Dida to be the name of the Afghan UI? It's a Sogdian word meaning fortress and there were loads of them along the Silk Road. =]

That's awesome! Thank you! We might have to include a slight defensive bonus too :)

Loving the bonuses! However, I don't think we need the yield bonus to come from being next to a Mountain. How about if the tile has a Road on it it gets +1/+1, and if it has a Railroad as well it gets +2/+2? I mean, the Eurasian Land Bridge is also called the New Silk Road for a reason, y'know. =]

Zamburaks? I didn't see that coming, they certainly fit the civ though, I expected them to be more of a defensive civ, kinda like your Mexico, due to their amazing capacity to be able to rout any invading army, the Dida adds to that sure, but I certainly didn't see a Great Write civ coming...

Afghan poets were and are very famous in the Islamic world, and have written some of the finest verse I've ever had the pleasure of reading. I thought someone who modded Afghanistan might go for that if they didn't get too hung up on post-Soviet Afghan history.

Unfortunately not all our civs can be defensive :p

Mexico, Canada, Vietnam and the Zapotecs are going to fill those rolls up nicely.

Regarding Roads.... not sure that is the best idea seeing as otherwise your workers would just build roads absolutely EVERYwhere.

Actually, yeah, you're right, the AI would just build roads and Didas on every tile they could work. Hadn't thought of that.

Mind you, the Didas is meant to be spammed to increase the possibilities of Writers. It's basically a gold producing farm. It might need some more restrictions.

Looks great, gonna a big pain for Civs going after the culture victory.

While Graveyard of Empires is undoubtedly a badass UA title, do you not think it suggests the usual super-defensive Afghan play-style that you have creatively distinguished your Civ from?
A quick google offers the alternative of Pata Khazana - "The Hidden Treasure", a poetry anthology of Pashto poetry dating back to the 8th century. Though it's authenticity is highly disputed, but maybe someone like Scapegrace can think of a better alternative?

On the topic of the dida, how about instead of being spammable they can only be built on tiles which are part of a Caravan's route and can't be build adjacent to one another, but have enhanced yields to compensate?

As a matter of fact, I can.

One of the most famous Afghan poets is Khushal Baba, also known as Khushal Khan Khattak; the Baba is a demonym that roughly translates to 'father', as in 'father of his country' and so forth. Of his huge body of work, one that springs to mind is Farrukh-nama. It's structured around a dialogue between the pen and the sword, which neatly encapsulates both of Afghanistan's strengths as a civ.

Therefore, I propose that the UA name be changed to Farrukh Nama.

Hey senshidenshi, here I upload Jungle Invisibility Ability (...as it seems you cannot send files via private messages???)

Warning - I upload proper lua AND sql AND xml because the core ability - invisibility - is not in lua. And when I discovered where it is my jaw has literally dropped as I was impressed by this genius simplicity. The effect of Invisible Unit is achieved mainly by... adopting Submarine stealth ability from game :D One XML line :D

Attachments

• ForestProwler.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 29
Hey senshidenshi, here I upload Jungle Invisibility Ability (...as it seems you cannot send files via private messages???)

Warning - I upload proper lua AND sql AND xml because the core ability - invisibility - is not in lua. And when I discovered where it is my jaw has literally dropped as I was impressed by this genius simplicity. The effect of Invisible Unit is achieved mainly by... adopting Submarine stealth ability from game :D One XML line :D

you can send files, but not as you think it would work. Just upload it to sendspace.com and give him/her the download link, takes less than 20 secs.

Couple of points on Afghanistan -

Firstly, the icon isn't a great choice. While it was used as the Afghan symbol, it was only for four years, which I assume is part of the reason why people didn't realise what the civ was. I'd say that the Mosque-like architecture that you see on most other Afghan symbol (while not identical, they are very similar) as it's probably more representative. Secondly, Afghanistan isn't really colonial nor pre-colonial. Yes, it was affected by colonialism, but that's like saying China would fit well because several countries had colonial ambitions there (Just for the record, it wouldn't really work at all). It classes more as "one of these guys who were affected by colonialism but were never directly colonised" - to prove my point, you can look at any other nation considered "colonial" - USA, Australia, Brazil - and you see that the vast majority of people were brought there via colonialism. In Afghanistan, the distribution of races was pretty much the same before and after the Great Game. It has a thing about not being taken over by foreign powers - it isn't called the Graveyard of Empires just to provide a fancy UA title. So yes, go ahead with it, though I'd suggest getting a new thread for it or changing the thread title to provide some sort of reference to Afghanistan's position - it's not wholly unique, but it's unlikely to be something that Colonialist Legacies are going to repeat.

Er, minor quibble: the area we know as Afghanistan today was conquered by and incorporated into *deep breath*:-

The Ummayads (from everywhere in the Arabic world), the Abbasids (Iran), the Tahirids (Iran), the Saffarids (also Iran), the Samanids (native Persian but based primarily out of modern Uzbekistan), the Seljuk Turks, the Ghurids (probably Sasanid Persians and while I've got your attention could someone mod in the Minaret of Jam please?), the Khwarazmians (mostly Iranian again; there's a bit of a theme developing), the Hulagu Ilkhanate (secessionist Mongols), the Timurids (of whom y'all may have heard), the Mughals (though bits of Afghanistan were under Safavid control at the time), and then being fought over by Russia and Great Britain as part of the Great Game.

You misuse the term "Graveyard of Empires", basically. In more modern history, yes, your use is accurate; the fact that Dr. Watson is an Afghan War veteran in both the original Sherlock Holmes books and the modern-dress BBC TV adaptation is proof enough of that. However, when you go further back it refers to the inability for empires to keep the Afghans pacified for very long, rather than not be conquered at all.

All this aside, I actually agree with you. A Graveyard Of Empires is a wonderfully evocative name, but it really doesn't fit with the UA TP's cooked up.

My suggestion remains Farrukh Nama, after Khushal Baba's poem of the same name about a dialogue between the pen and the sword, but it appears to have gotten lost in the thread. Hopefully it's an acceptable choice. =]

Top Bottom