1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Colonialist Legacies' Tlingit for VP

Discussion in 'Mods Repository' started by pineappledan, Dec 10, 2018.

1. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

Im going to rename the UA to Ku.Éex’ (potlatch).

With the addition of flat yield per turn on ITR for buildings, I can optimize the UA so it hooks into the trade overview screen and I can do away with the People of the Tides notification every turn.

maybe I could reduce the ranged defense on the noow and give units on the tile +1 XP per turn? Past the first 2-3 promotions, it’s a forgettable bonus, but it’s enough to incentivize players to put something there.

everything centres on the Noow. The UA scales off it, it gives the Tlingit a key defensive edge, and the yields are actually pretty decent if you manage to get 1-2 adjacent forest tiles.

not sure if I would change anything about the case, except I might add the amphibious ignores river penalty bonus to the tidal raid promotion.

the duk is a huge bonus that saves you hundreds of early hammers and gives you a much easier time clearing coastal barb camps. I think it’s great as is.

the hit is a scattershot collection of small bonuses; the biggest one being removing the coastal requirement. This increased freedom with city placement can be the difference between an extra fish or 1-2 more Noows. Not sure what I would change, if anything.

2. ridjack

ridjack King

Duk appears to be unable to pillage:

Spoiler :

I can also buy as many Duks in a city as I want every turn, presumably because they're still considered workboats.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  3. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

I'll look into the pillaging. Might not be possible since they are technically workboats/civilian units, and that might be tied to unitcombat
    Even work boats have a purchase cooldown of 1, so that's definitely an oversight on my part. I will fix

4. ridjack

ridjack King

The game appears to consider them to be military enough that my 'Civilian Units Move On Purchase' mod from Whoward doesn't affect them, for whatever that's worth.

5. ridjack

ridjack King

@pineappledan You posted last week that you had an update for these guys, but last update I see on the Downloads was in July?

6. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

I have been fiddling with them on my end. I had a horrid game where there were a ton of resources on the coast that messed up all my Noow placements. I only managed to get 3 on a single city, and the most fish I ever got in a single city was 2.

Tying the civ to the map like this is fun when it works, but it's so variable. It's especially frustrating playing with Communitas because that map script kills all the fish.

Attached Files:

7. Guynemer

Guynemer King

So I downloaded your WIP version in the post above. A few late Classical Age thoughts:

1. The Duk is awesome. I love the Duk. This is my new favorite Duk. Daffy and Donald can get stuffed, this is the best Duk. Good for harrying barbarians, and it saves a bunch of production and/or gold in getting work boats on line.
    2. The formerly-named-People-of-the-Tides UA, really helpful for getting new cities up to speed, nice synergy with the Duk and the UI. The old "People of the Tides" notification is still popping up, not sure where that stands in your WIP version.
    3. The Noow is good, and becomes great if you are in heavily wooded terrain. Again, this may be a WIP thing, but when hoving over the Noow in the civ select screen, it says it can be placed on any tile with water access (including lakes and rivers) but not adjacent to another Noow; but in game, it is still functioning in the old way, and can only be placed on the coast. Which is a major drag for my current game, since I started near a bunch of forested lakes.
    4. The Hit is the least-cool thing so far, but that's more from the rest of the kit outshining it, rather than it being lackluster itself. Good synergy with the UA, and +10% food carryover is quite welcome. This might be both overkill and too niche, but maybe it could buff lake tiles the way it does coast? The PNW is riddled with lakes, after all.
    5. Haven't gotten to the Xaa yet, looking forward to it.

EDIT: Also, Disco Elysium is freaking incredible.

8. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

I was having a hell of a time in my playthrough getting any decent positions for even a single city, and I had 9 (though some weren't coastal). The thing about the Tlingit kit is you only need 1 decent city for your UA, and you can feed all the rest of your cities off that single well-placed city, but I couldn't get a single one.

I was considering, as a fix, about making the Noow buildable on ANY terrain with access to water. I worry this will make getting 4+:c5production: off the forest/jungle adjacency too easy, but it would be worth it if it could guarantee more than 5-6 Noow on empire, unlike my previous game. The issue is I have no real way of testing that except to have people pinky-swear that they will only build the UIs in valid places. I can't actually set the parameters for coastal/river/lake
    And it will stay unless the civ gets a full DLL integration treatment. Turns out what I was hoping to do to fix the Tlingit lua is impossible. I should probably change the notification's title to Ku.Eex though.
    Too similar to the Aztec floating garden and the Harappan reservoir, probably.

9. Guynemer

Guynemer King

I apologize, I may not be parsing what you wrote correctly; you're saying that there is no way to make it only placeable on any tile with access to water, and can only be either coastal or anywhere/everywhere?

If so, maybe changing it to something akin to the Inuit UI, where it provides bonus production (or food or whatever) to adjacent coastal or lake tiles? So building it away from water is basically a waste?

And if I'm not parsing your statement correctly, then ignore me, because I am a dumb-dumb.

10. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

essentially, yes. The code only supports AND, ie. can only be built on Coast AND river, not Coast OR river.

both the feitoria and the kasha’s already boost adjacent coastal tiles, so I better not do that. Also, G made this yield per adjacent feature bonus especially for me and this Noow improvement, so I better use it.

11. Guynemer

Guynemer King

hmmm. Then could it provide production for every adjacent coast and lake and river, instead of forest? I'm trying to come up with a solution where it is only significantly appealing to build next to water, and that's all I got.

Got to the Xaa. Very nice. They pack a good punch, and are quite useful when someone gets aggressive near your coast. I like this civ a lot.

12. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

v12 comin' in

With the major nerf to CS :c5science::c5culture: from TRs, I have increased the ETR bonus to +100% :c5science::c5culture:.

Noow base yields changed to 2:c5food:1:c5production:1:c5science:1:c5culture:, to reflect the Tlingit's multivalent yield focus, and how CiV Forts (which the Noow is) are :c5science:science tiles.
    Noow can be built on Resources now, so they aren't so hard to place, but they are still coastal only and no 2 adjacent.

Kim Dong Un likes this.
  13. Guynemer

Guynemer King

I had a random thought about wanting to place the UI near rivers and lakes; you probably already considered this, but I figure what's the harm in asking?

Is there something in the farm code that could be used here? Farms can only be placed in tundra tiles that are adjacent to rivers and lakes.

14. DelilahFlowers

DelilahFlowers Chieftain

A few things buggy. The text for the hit in game is all messed up. Second, after building a hit and sending a trader unit (cargo boat in my case) I was getting a popup each turn called k.waa (or some other babble) and saying +2S +2C which is the total culture and science from my international trade route. Seems like a bug, or something unintended. From playing VP for so long my first assumption was that it was an instant yield bonus like a council. Is that how the UA works?

15. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

Ku.Eex is the Tlingit word for potlatch; the ceremonial festival which formed the cornerstone of intertribal trade, diplomacy, and political legitimacy among the Pacific Northwest peoples.

The UA doubles the :c5science::c5culture: yields from external TRs. It notifies you each turn what the total of all additional :c5science:/:c5culture:/:c5food:/:c5production: you received from your TRs is every turn. So you got 2:c5culture:2:c5science: from your TR and 2:c5culture:2:c5science: from the UA. Functionally 4:c5culture:4:c5science:, but the UA :c5culture: yields don't contribute to border growth.

16. DelilahFlowers

DelilahFlowers Chieftain

Ahh, that makes more sense. I guess it wouldn't pop up for no reason. Thank you. I would suggest mentioning that in the in-game text (if it isnt. I wouldn't know its a tad broken rn :p). Also, take back calling the word babble, looked like code. Very interesting language, though I am now diving into wikipedia on linguistics and oh look at that half an hour gone by :D

17. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

Ku.Eex is the name of the UA, so the notification is just the same as that. The only typo I was able to find, after reviewing the in-game text, was that one of the 4UC components had a misspelling. Everything else seems to be working as intended and communicated to my satisfaction.

@Guynemer, the FreshWaterMakesValid attribute is what allows farms to be on desert/tundras. It used to also allow farms to ignore the flatland restriction if the hill was next to a river, but G changed how the code works. Now the code only allows Fresh Water to ignore the terrain restrictions. I'll ask him if something can be done so that FreshWaterMakesValid allows you to ignore Coastal restrictions like it used to allow you to ignore Flatland restrictions. In the current state, adding FreshWaterMakesValid doesn't actually change anything, except hypothetically allowing you to build a Noow on a coastal snow tile with a river.

18. Guynemer

Guynemer King

Just about everything you said is at least one step beyond my comprehension other than the general gist of "that dog won't hunt, and it probably won't ever hunt unless G makes it so" but thank you for taking the time to respond.

EDIT: Also, FYI, I think I may have figured out why your various additional 3/4 civs aren't showing up as opponents for me; I think it has to do with using a separate mapscript (Tectonic), though I'm not 100% certain.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  19. telelavoro

telelavoro Chieftain

Is it intended that tlingit can't use ocean oil? otherwise, it might be an idea to add oil platforms to the duk :)

20. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

Oops. posted an update. Making an offshore platform consumes the duk