1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Colonialist Legacies' Tlingit for VP

Discussion in 'Mods Repository' started by pineappledan, Dec 10, 2018.

1. telelavoro

telelavoro Chieftain

Excellent, thanks for the quick fix! Loving the civ :)

2. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

v14 is posted.
    Code:
    Noow:
    Can be built next to any source of water (ocean or freshwater), but not adjacent to each other. 
    Cannot be built on resources

Xaa:
    Tidal Raid now gives Free Embarkation movement instead of a set number of moves on disembark
     - Operates similar to Denmark's Viking UA, making embarking/disembarking cost only 1 movement
     - Should help with stability (removes a very costly lua)

I am very excited for the Noow changes in particular. The Noow has a unique build prerequisite, whereas before it shared prereqs with the Feitoria.
    The Noow fulfills a build niche which makes inland Tlingit cities far more competitive and viable. Coastal cities now have much more common placement options, feeding into the UA better, but inland cities no longer feel like they're playing with a short deck. Considering Tlingit land traces river systems deep into inland Alaska and the Yukon, I had always wanted the Tlingit to feel less bound to the coast. Hopefully this also reflects the sentiments of @TPangolin's original design for the civ as well, though I understand he was far more concerned with emphasizing the Tlingit's trade relations with inland groups like the Dene.

Thank you so much to @ASCII Guy for donating his time and expertise to make this possible!

3. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

Good news

4. ridjack

ridjack King

Playing with the Tlingit currently; love the changes to the Noow. Feels a lot less Polynesia-lite now.

Quick thing I noticed: the Hit allows production to be moved via trade routes, but this isn't indicated in the "relocate trade unit" interface:

Spoiler :

It is working and I haven't had any problems, so it seems to be just a visual glitch.

5. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

6. ridjack

ridjack King

Given that G and co are maintaining their own version of EUI now, might be worth a bug report.

7. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

Tlingit are probably too good, based on my most recent game. The :c5food:/:c5production: bonus from the UA can easilly overmatch the actual TR's base yields. I just finished a game where I had 1 city with 2 :c5food:fish and 6:c5production:Noow and another with 5:c5food:fish and 5:c5production:Noow, which added to 8:c5food:/24:c5production: and 20:c5food:/20:c5production: from each internal TR every turn from Classical, and multiplying from there. The idea behind the UA is that you only need 1-2 plum city locations to feed and distribute strong infrastructure throughout your empire, but I was building wonders in 4 turns or less beginning throughout the game.

I'm thinking I should drop the scaling to base increase by 1 per era, but keep the base at 2.

Kim Dong Un likes this.
  8. Guynemer

Guynemer King

That sounds wise; haven't been able to play in a few weeks but I might get the chance soonish if you want some testing done

9. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

10. Pill

Pill Chieftain

What strategy did you have in mind with the Tlingit especially with their internal trade routes? Tall or wide? What policy trees?

I'm having lots of trouble keeping up with Emperor AI's tech/culturally. Internal trade routes just feel weak and the international trade route buff is meh even when you're behind. There just doesn't seem to be enough trade route slots for it to be noticeable for most of the game.

Loving the Noow though and how it accentuates the forest/water flavor of the civ. Beautiful tile yields with useful defensive buffs.
    Duks are useful hammer-saving units, but feel just OK if you don't have a coastal monopoly.
    Xaa are fine I guess, haven't had a chance to do a full blown coastal invasion though.

11. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

Simcivy was what I had in mind. Get an empire of a size you are happy with, find the city with the most fish, and run ITRs out of it for the rest of the game.

The ITR portion of the Ku'Eex ability does do a lot of work if you have set up and got at least 1 decent city. It's a terrain-dependent civ, but only needs 1 really strong location in the empire that it can send all the TRs out of. The UA gives you a notification each turn for how many yields the UA has given you each turn, and it can get decently high pretty fast. Don't discount it, especially after you manage to get a larger trade empire going!
    Noow are core to the whole civ, bigger component than the actual UA.
    Xaa are boss. They get 'er done. You'll see what I mean

The 4UC components however... The Tlingit are probably stronger without 4UC than they are with it. Before you can manage to get workshops, you still only have 3+ TRs, and you might prefer to run food TRs early game anyways, and the Duk saves you hammers, but as you say, you can get a game where you only get to save yourself a few hundred :c5production:/:c5gold:. In comparison, some other civs will get much bigger steroids with 4UC.
    I think the weakest link is the Hit, RN I'm thinking of ditching the 25:c5production: on ITR end and replacing it with 4:c5production: per turn on ITRs. Maybe give it a point of :c5culture:culture for nearby fish?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  12. Pill

Pill Chieftain

You are definitely right about the early game TRs. I'm usually doing food or running international trade routes for the science/culture bonus.

The Hit is just kind of boring. The production bonus on ITR end is just lumping even more production on more production bonuses which is kind of one note. It's also kind of un-intuitive to use, I don't find myself timing production boosts that far out turn-wise; the per turn boost would just be less tedious to use.

Adding the culture would diversify the building a bit, but I would like to see it on something more broad than coastal tiles. Maybe culture on improved luxuries? Fits in with the gift-giving of the potlatch. Not sure if that would be OP (maybe with a max culture cap?).

13. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

14. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

@adan_eslavo, the UA notifications haven’t been showing up properly.

the yield notifications show up, but they don’t contain the lines for bonus :c5culture::c5science::c5food::c5production:

not sure what is going on; the notifications are continuing to fire and I haven’t touched the UA code.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure the issue is something with the CPP's core lua. I've submitted a github ticket.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  15. Pill

Pill Chieftain

I'm getting problems with the Hit building name and description.
    hit.png

Hinin likes this.
  16. Hinin

Hinin King

Just had the same issue.

Do you use other modmods (except of course 3/4UCfVP) ?

17. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity