colonies, combat, and other misc. ideas

lost

Chieftain
this is five ideas

i think that it would be cool that if u build a city on a continent seperate from yours by ocean squares, it could be a colony, and u could have seperate options for them and if u treat them badly they could revolt and attempt getting their own independence or you could give them their independence, and that would be cool.

the second idea is that it could be that the game could merge with rise of nations, where u can see the cities and the land as if you where there and you can choose where u build, send armies through them, and it would make combat much more dynamic and strategic. You could choose where you build, and then you slowly see buildings change as you proceed. Even with this, you can zoom out and see the map like normal civ games to scroll, and see a single unit which would represent the army, but for combat zooming would be needed.

My third idea is the idea of developed and developing nations, and how using the second idea you can see the poverty, or the glory of a nation that are in the same time period.

my fourth idea would be seperate currencies, and stock exchange, which would have a major impact on how players develop their economy. This would apply more to industrial and modern eras and would be interesting to see

my last idea is creating an actual future age, instead of having future technology research. It could make the game longer and quite interesting

I agree with all of these except for merging with Rise Of Nations. While it is a great game I don't think that Civ should be combined with an RTS game.

Rather than me starting a new thread, I'll add my one-liner ideas to this one. :)

1.) Keep the goody huts, yet make them configurable (so that scenario designers can specify the contents, and remove what can be a game-breaking element of randomness in the early-game).

2.) Allow improved combat odds with technologies. For example, discovery of 'tactics' allows you an increased chance of winning over someone without it.

Originally posted by ainwood

2.) Allow improved combat odds with technologies. For example, discovery of 'tactics' allows you an increased chance of winning over someone without it.
That's a cool idea, except in might be weird if discovery of a tech in the middle ages (or whatever) benefitted your combat odds in modern times. Tactics have changed throughout history, no discovery of specific tactics has been a permanent advance. Nevertheless, it'd be a cool option to have in the editor. While they're at it, tech advances should be able to turn on things like lethal bombard (Smart Weapons should do this), or things like improved combat odds specifically certain types of units against others (for example, a Sonar advance could increase your odds when using aircraft against enemy ships, implying that you could refit your existing bombers to carry homing torpedos instead of simple bombs).

I don't think the RoN merger would be good, but I definitly agree with future techs that would make the game much better.

Originally posted by judgement
That's a cool idea, except in might be weird if discovery of a tech in the middle ages (or whatever) benefitted your combat odds in modern times. Tactics have changed throughout history, no discovery of specific tactics has been a permanent advance.
Agreed. That is why the bonus should only be applicable when one civ has the tech and the other doesn't. :)

I do think that one element should be taken from RoN. Which is the effect that civ specific abilities has on opening strategies in RoN. I think that conquests tried to spice up the opening sequence a little with introduction of the agricultural trait while adding a little interest it doesn't really take away from the "sameness" of the opening forty turns or so. In order to succeed at the toughest level or beat the best human players in RoN one needs to implement radically different opening strategies - all though the mid game and end game seem to follow a course common to RTSs.
In short i would like to have to make a lot more and different decisions in the earlier part of the game based on civ specific abilities.

I would like colonies to be permanent. That is, building a city next to someone's colony is not sufficient to disband it. The colony could then be treated as an enemy unit needing ROP to not upset the AI civ. And as a one tile city it would be more easily flipped.

I also like the idea of coastal colonies acting like harbors. Who hasn't had their only accessable iron on an all mountain island in an archipeligo game? Giving workers the ability to build a harbor on a tile as an improvement might also be a solution. This would also provide an advantage to cities near but not on the coast. The worker should be lost for this (like outpost).

Top Bottom