Colonies IV makes a curtain call

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario Creation' started by Patient English, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Patient English

Patient English Designer

Thanks very much, sir! I'll have a quick run through later this week....

2. Patient English

Patient English Designer

Thanks for doing this. Can you tell me why the active unit does not flash, though? Makes it hard to play. Is there a setting at my end I ought to change? (The Graphic options - Ctrl-P - don't seem to be active)

3. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Hi John - are you playing with ToTPP? If so, you'll need to check this box. Base ToT has the issue (among others) of not having the active unit flast. @TheNamelessOne fixed that in ToTPP.

upload_2020-12-15_16-46-37.png

4. Patient English

Patient English Designer

Thanks, John. (Only just re-checked on this thread after submerging myself in Medieval Millennium over Christmas....) However, I have tried checking that box (it was originally checked anyway) and launching the scenario, and also un-checking it and re-launching. Either way, the active unit does not flash - only the cursor/active tile marker. In all other scenarios I run under TOTPP, plus the base game itself, I do not have this issue. So, something to do with this particular conversion, perhaps?

5. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Deity Supporter

Under graphic options (ctrl+p), disable unit animations.

6. Patient English

Patient English Designer

Well, this is weird! All of the normal options under the Game menu are available to play with (Game, City Report and so on) but the Graphics Options, while not greyed-out, does not activate when selected. Either with the mouse or with Ctrl-P. Again, with all the other scenarios on my PC I do not have this problem.

I think maybe a re-install of Colonies 4.3 is in order. Thanks for your help, anyway!

7. Konig15

Konig15 Warlord

Hey I just want to say I love Colonies IV, one of my favorites of all time.

I do want to say though Colonies I had one of the most fascinating what if premises ever. Starting in 1492, starting as one of the other European powers. I was RPing as France, but instead of God, Gold and Glory, I was sending trade and missionary exploration to the Americas to try and study and convert the Indians like the missions to the Cumans and Vikings and Vandals of old. It was a fascinating premise of trying to RP in a way that French monks trying to learn and record all of the history and mythology and culture of the American Indians before the New World diseases started to hit them in earnest (which they themselves could not know about obviously).

Probably not your intention, but given the Spanish tendency to well...burn the heathen texts, colonies I was a great idea that I completely understand why you didn't follow up on but I'm so utterly thankful you made it. It was like a 1939 World War II scenario or a World War I scenario that starts in January of 1914, which open up all kinds of interesting possibilities for a roleplayer and storyteller of one but is totally mechanically derailing and that why it's almost entirely unheard of. But I want to thank you for that first version. It made me think and it made me dream.