Colonies IV (Release 4.1)

This scenario is fantastic. I've having loads of fun playing Great Britain. That said, it might be a little too easy in some ways and a bit too hard in others; let me share a story.

Started play. Noticed that my budget was in massive deficit but, having been warned by the solid docs, I knuckled down to dealing with it. Sold off just about everything that cost significant upkeep except the Royal Dockyards, plus some Cathedrals (but no Crown Lands then or ever) and started chasing after beaver. I concentrated on trade routes between my best trade cities and Amsterdam, and balanced the budget at max science in about 15 turns.

Spent more than half my disposable income building Clansman in Carlisle; Clansmen kick a lot of butt! For the whole of the 17th century, Arquebusiers would march to Carlisle, become clansmen, get blooded in a planned battle, and - now veteran - go foreign.

I also had a blast with Privateers; English always were big on legalised piracy. :mwaha:

It took me a little while to get organized. I didn't get a lock on the slave market until 1650, didn't conquer the Spanish Carribean until the 1660s, and got essentially nothing accomplished in North America during the whole of the century.

July 1667. Every city in the British Isles is British red, and I celebrate by changing from the English flag to the Union Jack. Shortly thereafter, I found the West India Company, and my economy and science start to sing and dance.

[dance]

It is now 1710. I'm getting a tech every three turns, have a total shield production of about 630, own 40 merchantmen and can't be bothered with a Royal Navy, and have built every researchable wonder. My army is so big, and so technically advanced, that any nation in Europe is my meat.

But...

I'm one of the those guys who just can't bear to declare war through sneak-attacking. :cringe: It's not that I need to retain my Immaculate reputation - my Diplomatic Corps can handle that - it's simply that I just can't bear to do it, in most any civ game. I'm running a Parliament, and so I can't even taunt, and they refuse to snap up the colonists I try to feed them. And Parliament doesn't take kindly to revolutions. So I'm trying to...

Colonise the wilds of America. You gotta understand that North America is the most inhospitable piece of real estate on the map, with the possible exception of the deep Sahara. Worse, far worse, than Spain or Africa. The Carribean is a colonist's Paradise in comparison, and Florida - I just like to rest my weary eyes on her, she looks so good. The wilds north of the Carolinas are all over hills and swamps and trees. Trees that require 10 years to chop down to worthless scrubland, trees that only slaves can turn into terrain that's worth a durn, trees that pullulate with natives and their scalping knives.

Now here is a challenge worthy of British arms! :soldier:
And, ah, not-British labour... :blush:

So I've got merchantmen wizzing back and forth like mad things, hordes of redcoats invading the forest, seige artillery taking out the native chiefs, and no plan whatsoever about dealing with the Dutch.

America is hard - but largely because of the Natives. The terrain seems good to me - and Forest converts to Grassland immediately, not via Scrub. Not in version 4.1 or 4.11 anyway!

Anyway, I am very glad you are enjoying the game - I respect your opinion (and your own work) ;)

John-you did it again.Another masterpiece of history,playability,and just downright fun.

Thanks for all of your work.I am glad you did not stop making Civ 2 scenarios.

That's high praise indeed. The game is not perfect, I am all too aware though. The main things that bug ME, are these:

1) The AI does not go for Flintlock or State Commission Army soon enough - despite me giving those the highest-possible AI values. This may be to do with the origianal slots those techs occupy or something. They always seem to prefer National Debt or Mechanics - something the AI with it's money and production cheats doesn't need so badly.

2) I need more events space. Because I have to manually raise Natives (the cities don't produce more Natives like they are supposed to, we think because there are already so many natives on the board), the beaver and slave-able Natives are raised too predictably. Easy to lie in wait for them - especially the slaves - once you have sussed that out.

3) The AI attack is still too weak (a Civ II whinge generally).

It's 1725 and there are Hapsburg soldiers in every city in the former United Provinces, Denmark, Germany and Austria. Oh and I've taken a third of Sweden. Brilliant civ. :king:

Do chuid

John

You had talked about doing an alternate set of graphics ala Boney 2 for Col IV. Im not pushing just wondering what is the status? And yes I know you just got married and it is summer. Im just wondering if that is still in the works?

BTW you probably need to declare war on me soon in the Multiplayer beta so we can test those offensive and defensive values.;) :D

Steve,

Yes, it is still something I want to do. However, the MP tweaking of Bonaparte II and Colonies IV, and the new WW1 scenario Henrik and I are about to start on have to take priority over that...

Declare war on England...? What a splendid idea! I was wondering what to do with all those units I have. ;)
Seriously, I probably will, but is a bit unfair while I am running the Dutch as well.

We could set up a limited conflict if you like....restrict it to Ireland or something? If Spain comes in, then Holland and Sweden probably will too. Still , might be fun?

Originally posted by Patient English
Steve,

Yes, it is still something I want to do. However, the MP tweaking of Bonaparte II and Colonies IV, and the new WW1 scenario Henrik and I are about to start on have to take priority over that...

Declare war on England...? What a splendid idea! I was wondering what to do with all those units I have. ;)
Seriously, I probably will, but is a bit unfair while I am running the Dutch as well.

We could set up a limited conflict if you like....restrict it to Ireland or something? If Spain comes in, then Holland and Sweden probably will too. Still , might be fun?

Well John certainly fun for the French! I fully expect to get my A$$ kicked however we still need to test the Attack/ Defense/ HP values in MP. You tweaked those if I remember correctly.

So yes its off to war. I need to try and get revenge for screwing up the HYW! ;)

Originally posted by Patient English
OK, deal. I proposed in the Colonies IV thread itself that we start the war in Jan 1640. That gives us a few moves to set things up, and no-one can act surprised. Deal?

Deal, and Yaro agreed in a PM to me last week.

We should let Henrik particiipate from a playtest perspective.

(Game wise of course I wish he would stay neutral. ;) )

Any chance of a version for classic 2.42?

Without MGE I'm getting a bit green with all the celebrating and positive vibes this scenario has generated here!

Absolutely spectacular scenario, John.

Things I really, really like;

1.) Giga-map. Gives the thing scope.

2.) Emphasis on economics. Gotta make money.

3.) Tech tree. One of the best I've ever seen.

4.) Unit, improvement, wonder, and city graphics. Perfect.

5.) Slaves & settlers. I was wondering how and when someone would deal effectively with this issue. Leave it to John.

6.) Pirates. I just LOVE piracy. Even if I'm the victim. So cool.

7.) Hunters and beavers. About time someone dealt with the importance of the fur trade.

And you're working on a WWI scenario too?

Good.

Peregrine, you are too kind...;)

I think I agree with most of the things you list as being important in this type of scenario. One thing I am still not happy with is the reluctance of the AI to develop State Commissioned Army (Grenadiers etc). Another is the very limited opportunity to make money from Piracy/Privateering. Carracks are worth something to most Civs, but I wish I could include Merchantmen, and different types of Trade Goods. I am just too limited on events space.

FYI, there is an improved version of Colonies IV in development, that will be released as 4.2 and announced here when I am happy with it. There is also a MultiPlayer version in existence, that we are still playtesting.

Thanks on behalf of the whole playtesting team (see PlayersNotes) for your feedback....

Originally posted by Achinz
Any chance of a version for classic 2.42?

Without MGE I'm getting a bit green with all the celebrating and positive vibes this scenario has generated here!

MGE upgrade is available here and all the special features are not possible with 2.42.

Top Bottom