1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Colonies means war?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Neato, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Neato

Neato Dog Culture Advisor

Since I have 3.13 and the unofficial patch, I wasn't sure if this a bug or just something I missed since I don't do it very often. I looked around for similar posts, but only found ones that discussed vassals turning on civs who liberated colonies. Hence my posting it here.

I'm playing on a standard, "big and small" map and decided to liberate an island of mine. Apparently the rest of the world thought this was a pretty bad idea and took it as an act of war. I had negative diplomacy all over the place (declared war on us, declared war on friends, don't like your vassal, war spoils relationship) and a bunch of furious (formerly cautious) civs all around. Anyone know what's going on here? Do the other civs just really not want me to liberate a country or is it a known issue with the patch and unofficial patch - in which case I apologize for taking your time.

2. Neato

Disregard my post. I'm a numbskull and upon inspection, it turns out that I didn't install the unofficial patch last time I installed the game. If you're reading this because you have the same problem, download the unofficial patch and smile. If you're still having problems, post it in the "bugs" section and hope for help!
    Sorry if I wasted your time! Thanks anyway! :blush:

3. neckface

neckface Warlord

Just a caveat on a working as intended aspect of the game:

When you colonize or vassalize, you can get a -1 diplo modifier (paraphrasing: "We are upset that you are the masters of our rival civilizations"). I don't know if this happens all the time.

But, moral of the story is that this once caused a potent rival to declare on me the very next turn and nearly wipe me out! :(

4. Neato

At least that makes sense though: "Shame on you for appointing such a bad person as the leader of your liberated colony. I declare war." War ensues... :ar15:

But in my game, while I fully anticipated taking the diplo hit, I didn't realize hitting the "Liberate" button was essentially the same as synchronously declaring war on everyone, which is what happened, along with the number of serious diplo hits that followed. Though I am abandonning that game (the save game apparently didn't like the changes that came with the unofficial patch and the new accopanying modified assets), I believe that colonizing won't be such a mess in future games now that I have the unofficial patch. :goodjob:

Still though, shame on your rival, I hope you knocked him off his high horse.

5. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

Same thing happened to me. I was getting the 'surrendering cities' bug, and insisted that I had Bhruic's Unofficial Patch installed. When I checked, it wasn't on. :blush:

6. Neato

You know what? Now I'm glad I posted this thread.

How many more like us are there? And how many will learn from our mistakes? This is good stuff.

7. theKurgen

theKurgen Warlord

Anyone playing without Bhruic's patch should be purged IMO.

8. Solo4114

Solo4114 Prince

What's the difference between that and the official 3.13 patch? I JUST got BTS like two days ago, so I'm behind on the news here.

9. OTAKUjbski

OTAKUjbski TK421

The official patch breaks as many things as it fixes.

The unofficial patch fixes the things left or made broken by the official patch.

In other words, only the unofficial patch leaves your game in a fully playable condition.

10. Solo4114

Solo4114 Prince

Crap. And here I just went and installed the official version. Guess I'll have to uninstall BTS and reinstall with the BHUIC patch.

>grumble<

11. theKurgen

theKurgen Warlord

You still need patch 3.13. It's really a FIX for the official patch, rather than being a patch on its own.

12. LordMachiavelli

LordMachiavelli Chieftain

Bhruic installs over 3.13. I've heard there are issues with Bhruic and multi-player though, so rename the old .dll file instead of writing over it if you want to play multi-player games. Even though I never play multi-player, I keep the file hanging around just in case I change my mind one day, and the only thing it costs me is a few megs of disc space.

LM