Colonies: Yay or Nay!

I thought I was following the discussion, but for the last couple of posts I'm not sure:

Are we discussing placing cities under your civilization's banner on distant islands or continents? Or are we discussing releasing those cities as a vassal civ?

Hope I haven't added to the confusion. I believe we're talking about releasing those cities as a vassal civ. I think you were following the discussion. I think some players are confusing this with vassals in general without realizing there is a difference.

For instance, I generally like taking vassals. It speeds up domination and diplomation victories and can provide help with research and war. I dislike releasing cities on distant continents as colonies even though they become vassals. That slows down those victories.

Colonies can lower maintenance costs but, for me, that doesn't make up for what you lose usually. Especially under State Property.

Hope I haven't added to the confusion. I believe we're talking about releasing those cities as a vassal civ. I think you were following the discussion. I think some players are confusing this with vassals in general without realizing there is a difference.

For instance, I generally like taking vassals. It speeds up domination and diplomation victories and can provide help with research and war. I dislike releasing cities on distant continents as colonies even though they become vassals. That slows down those victories.

Colonies can lower maintenance costs but, for me, that doesn't make up for what you lose usually. Especially under State Property.

I started losing it when colonies were the source of costs, not the solution to reducing maintenance costs. I don't see the trade route point as particularly strong because you can always trade with AIs on other continents to pad your income.

This obviously takes a backseat to my preferred method: :hammer:

Colonies could of been great, but like so many things they're unbalanced and it's not clear which is better at a given time. Just like firaxis :sad:

Top Bottom