Colonies

Linkman226

#anarchy
Thought it would be better to discuss this in a separate thread.

I'll start off with something I posted in a convo with J. Pride in another thread:

I was just reading the code. Well in the DLL we have this: void CvDeal::doTurn()

That is called every turn so you can definitely add it there.

The "neater" option, I suppose, would be to add a new type of vassal- so vassals can have an attribute isAColony or something like that. Now in CvDeal.cpp, we have CvDeal::addTrades, which, well, adds trades. So in there we'd perform a check: Is the civ a colony? And if it is, set the vassal civ has having a trade to transfer the gold/ resources.

We also have CvTeam::canVassalRevolt, which checks if a vassal state can break free. So we can set it 'true' if certain conditions are met, whatever those conditions are that Leoreth/I may come up for our respective mods.

Lastly, in CvTeam::freeVassal (called when a vassal is freed) we'd have to change it so that colonies stop paying tribute and are set to war with the mother country.

The only hard part is AI coding.

In my opinion the DLL provides a cleaner solution than python, but is also more time consuming, but ultimately provides more functionality and prevents certain problems in the future (suppose in the future we need to check if a vassal is also a colony in the DLL... it's easier if we set it up now).

I'm going to send this to Leoreth as well.

Leoreth, what do you think of this?

Thanks for the info. I think the best possible solution so far is to keep track of something like "isAColony" via a new member variable, and enforce certain resource deals and gold tributes, which are then cut off when a vassal is freed.

The question is more how the actual decolonization will look like in the game.

But I'm not in the mood currently to engage in a longwinded discussion of this, because it's really still very far away. I'll follow what you have to say about it, though.

Of course!

I already considered giving that effect to Topkapi Palace like in RFCE, but the problem is that in the later game it's getting increasingly unlikely that your vassal has a UU you can actually use.

I already considered giving that effect to Topkapi Palace like in RFCE, but the problem is that in the later game it's getting increasingly unlikely that your vassal has a UU you can actually use.
What about unique buildings? After all, colonial influence is still felt today in many cities of the world...

But more in the from master-to-vassal direction, not the other way around, right?

Yeah, you're right. Guess I looking forward to building to building Mali mints and Portuguese custom houses just a little too much ;)

I'm looking at their website now, looks really interesting. I might give their mod a go just to see what it is like in game :)

Obviously won't be RFC, but I'm curious to see what it is like.

Edit: God, you can tell they're French. Their English is really good but when you call the UN "ONU", and refer to "subventionned agriculture", it makes it obvious where you're from ;) I'm tempted to send them an email and ask if they want a translation from a native English speaker :p

Top Bottom