1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Colonies

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by apparition, Oct 21, 2003.

?

What's your view on colonies?

1. Cheap and gotta have them

15 vote(s)
    14.4%
  2. Too much hastle to defend

22 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. Cities are easier to defend, even if I have to break my expansion pattern

67 vote(s)
    64.4%
  1. StealthRanger

StealthRanger Chieftain

Myself i find colonies a waste of time and effort im a big expansionist so i never worry to much about not controling enough res. or lux. but i have been caught in some possitions where a colony would be useful but with me if it ever gets to that point my colony would end up being in enemy territory soon and i find that a pain to mess with. Usually ill just bust out with an invasion force and take the territory over if i lose it to someother nation.

2. Globetrotter

Globetrotter ...wherever i may roam...

Am not a big fan of colonies
    I usually head for cities

3. Justus II

Justus II General Staff

I have used colonies on occasion, primarily due to terrain, if I want the resource sooner than the # of worker turns. If it is anywhere near me, I will try to put a city there, but if it is at a distance, or on an island, for example, I will use the colony to connect the resource quickly (assuming I already have the harbor connection). Especially on mountains or jungles. Sometimes on the offensive, it is worth it to connect a luxury after autorazing a city, to get that lux connected immediately (since I have captured workers running around), until I can transplant a city.

4. apparition

apparition Warlord

I'm finishing the game that prompted me to start this thread.

Building those colonies turned out to be very important for two reasons.

1. My start location was great for city growth but was no where near any resources so the colonies were valueable until my growth reached those resources.

2. I claimed as much resources as quickly as possible and defended them. Ther were 3 other civs on my very large land mass and my early access to resources made me strong and easily able to get RoPs and make them gracious toward me.

Their tech levels were strong but I controlled the resources that would have built their armies.

5. denyd

denyd Emperor

The most important time for colonies is in a OCC or 5CC game where you don't have the resources within your boundries. Aside from that I normally just wait for them to come within by territory either by city building of culture expansion.

6. MajorFallout

MajorFallout Battalion-Command

There is another reason to use colonies, and that is to draw barbs to that location so that you can make your units elite. Just make sure that the colony is far away enough from your borders so as not to scare them off. May be plant a fort next to it, as a defensive post, until your civ expands enough to it's position.

7. Aramazd

Aramazd Deity

I just build a settler and make a city by that resource.

8. Haethurn

Haethurn Chieftain

Wouldn't a colony be useful if the luxury or resource was in a desert or jungle terrain and thus any city built there wouldn't be productive?

9. bru

bru Prince

I don't use them much, but I have thought that being able to use a colony for gold would make them more useful!

10. Brewster

Brewster stays crunchy in milk

Why sacrifice a worker (the most important unit as far as I am concerned) when a settler would be better. If I don't like the location, I can always disband the city at a later date.

11. Frostyboy

Frostyboy Never Beaten

Colonies are a good flavour to the game but are not meant for lasting. They are made for lasting just for some rounds _before_ it falls into your civs border. If not it will get overrun unless you station a troop there. But How good isn't it for say the Perisans early on to could sacrifice _one _ worker to get hold of some iron far away instead of using a settler witch must travel away and instead could be used for producing new settlers in the core of your civ?

12. apparition

apparition Warlord

I'm currently using a colony to get coal that rare on my current map. I thought of sending a settler but the time it would take to set up would cut into my development edge over my neibours.

With growth and production boosted by rail, my empire will reach there soon enough.

13. testdummy653

testdummy653 Prince

Colonies never produce anything

14. Frostyboy

Frostyboy Never Beaten

Colonies are good UNTIL you'll get the resource In your teriitory. If you are RELIGIOUS or SCIENTIFIC thatn meas 2x less the time to wait. Why expend a settler for this when you can can sacrifice a worker. (Provided the resource is far away and so on

15. Flavor Dave

Flavor Dave Warlord

I use colonies, but only in the obvious, rare circumstance. For example, you're at war, and you have to have iron or horses or gunpowder RIGHT NOW. Even rushbuilding a temple (and early in the game that's not going to happen) will take 5 turns.

The other circumstance when I use colonies is late in the game, during a war. I usually have a bunch of captured workers, who aren't very fast. And I have lots of workers without a whole lot to do. So I'll use a slave to create a colony just outside the radius of a captured city. That way I don't have to rush build a temple. At that point, I'd usually rather build a courthouse to make the city semi-useful.

16. Frostyboy

Frostyboy Never Beaten

Colonies are also FLAVOUR - they look pretty and are some of the things that makes Civ3 different form previous games.
    Its better to sacrifice a worker (at least a captured one), than building a new settler to put up a city in a crappy and corrupted location.

17. ShADoW^HawK

ShADoW^HawK The Shanksta Ganksta

I say that colonies suck more balls than a migit hooker.

Seriously, if you want a resource, and its far away from you, chances are that its closer to an enemy, and chances are that by the time you can build a city nearby it, its no use because its already been taken over by an enemy. Besides, you have to build roads to get to it, and by the time it takes you to build roads all of that distance you might as well just have moved a setler over there and built a city.

One of the best first games I played was on a huge Pangea map, and all I did to do so well was to outexpand everyone, and how did I do that, whenever I saw a good spot to build a city, I sent my settlers there directly as I build roads along the way. I ended up having half the map to myself by the end of the game, and I was the most powerful nation, 1 age above everyone else (while they started making railroads, I was already pumping out Modern Armor). I defeated two large civs, and probably could have conquered the world if I was less scared to go to war (since that was the time when I didn't want to use nukes, because I cared for all the people).

What I say is "Conquer over Colonies". That's the way to go. Always conquer the others cities instead of making colonies that will eventually be swallowed by the others.

18. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

i dont bother with colonies because of the nuscence that a perfectly good worker is used up to get it. i prefer building a city because if there is a war in the modern era, i just airlift a bunch of modern Armors and stuff to the city. i hate colonies because they are usually remote and are the first casualties of a war and you lose resources. another thing, when i was playing aganst the egyptians, they got a colony for iron and i just pilliged the road leading toward it's city, and later built my city next to it so i can get the iron

19. Zoke0

Zoke0 Dangerous Hobo

I almost never use colonies, but once did I find and good use for them. Once I built a colonie on an oil (yeah, this was the industriel age) near an Ai's border and connected it to my trade route. About one turn before the Ai civ's border expanded I get the dreaded "this source of oil has been depleted", pop up!!

Basically I stole the oil from the AI and used it all before they got a turn!:lol:

Yeah, I know I could have built a city, but I was too concerned else were.

20. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

:lol: i once got a source of Uranium that time when i got fission tech and the turn i got it, there was a source near my capital and it disapeared that turn