1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Col] Colonization Gold Multimedia !?!?

Discussion in 'Other Sid Meier Games' started by Lantizia, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Lantizia

Lantizia Chieftain

Hey,

So I've been enjoying Colonization a lot recently, I like to play the Windows 3.1 version as I get to see more of the map and the audio is better. I play it through Wine on Linux and it's an absolute joy as I've got some handy scripts/launcher UI which take care of the CD audio without actually needing to put the disc in etc...

For a while now I've just had this jewel cased CD version which states it is for Windows 3.1 & 95 together...

611HESN2MCL._SX466_.jpg

But then I noticed on eBay the other day that there was a big boxed version by a different publisher, which doesn't mention Windows 95 at all - so must be an earlier release. It also comes with charts and a proper manual etc... This is the one I just bought... https://www.ebay.com/itm/143457854770

s-l1600.jpg
    I should also point out that I'd never even heard of Colonization being for Windows at all until *much* later on in life, always played the DOS version. But then I don't think either of the two Windows releases above ever actually came out in the UK -- which might be why. Unless someone out there knows of a Windows UK release of Colonization?

One thing that isn't shown in that eBay image though, is this little bit of paper which was inside...

IMG_20191211_110341.jpg

ANOTHER VERSION!?

Sure enough it seems in magazines at the time... this was being advertised, see this link to see page 156 of "Computer Gaming World" issue 131... https://archive.org/details/Computer_Gaming_World_Issue_131/page/n156

Someone even seems to have taken that advert and hosted it on Tumblr as well (I only found this image via Google Images/Pinterest)... not sure why they uploaded it to Tumblr?...

tumblr_o6ik25iF0A1tg94xho1_1280.jpg

Does anyone know anything about this version, does it actually exist?

There seems to be very little information about it.

Lantizia

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019