1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Colonization music

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - General Discussions' started by Malignant, Aug 21, 2008.

1. archeide

archeide Chieftain

Thanks for your answers.

morchuflex: indeed, like the old graphics with big pixels seemed very nice to me... :eek:

You can download all songs from here:
    Original Colonization MP3s

I have temporaily put a playlist file, so you can hear it from my server:
    Original Colonization songs

2. morchuflex

morchuflex Emperor

Just finished downloaded everything. Thanks again! It will help me wait until Col2 reaches France.
    BTW, you're in Paris too? That's funny. May I ask where?

3. archeide

archeide Chieftain

I'm not really in Paris, but in Maisons-Alfort (94).
    Good to see that there are several french colonialists to build la Nouvelle France.

4. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

Maybe you had just simple Sound Blaster then.

MIDI music, like in Colonization, sounds much worse with older Sound Blasters cards, compared to better ones that are capable of having Wavetable Synthesis for playing MIDI music.

5. morchuflex

morchuflex Emperor

That might explain it...

6. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

Yeah.

After all, MIDIs aren't music like MP3s or WAVs. They're actually scores with instructions that get sent to your sound card, which has several instruments stored in its synthesizing program. According to those indications, your card 'plays' the music itself according to its configuration, instead of providing the playback of a recorded song. That's why MIDIs sound different in PCs with different sound cards.

7. Matte979

Matte979 Jedi Master

Thanks, brings back great memories.

8. themadz

themadz Chieftain

so i was playing the new one.

and god.. the music blows harder than i could have imagined!

i have yet to hear any of the classical songs.

it's all downright depressing music

but the biggest insult has to be the music they use for combat. it sounds like someone went to a re-enactment with a tape recorder.
    you can hear crowds in the back and not only that, the music sounds like it's in mono. in road to boston you can hear that the band is moving from one area to another.

how can they screw it up sooo badly. like really. convert the old midi files to a new standard is all they really had to do.

9. morchuflex

morchuflex Emperor

In Civ4, by default, the sound is set to mono. Have you checked your options?

10. Phobic

Phobic Chieftain

I assumed the crowds were supposed to be soldiers. :lol:

11. comtedemeighan

comtedemeighan Chieftain

I really like the music for the New game its great the even have 'The World Turned upside down' which is awesome :D

12. 1EyedKing

1EyedKing Chieftain

I'm liking the music a lot; the classical stuff kicks in after a couple of hours of playing, and the military fanfare sounds improvised enough; they've even included the Yankee Doodle!

Also, in case you haven't noticed, the themes played for the leaders of a same nation are actually reprises of a same motif.

13. Kathandrion

Kathandrion Chieftain

Oh, thank you so much for the music! I don't have Col2 yet, but gutted to hear that they don't seem to have kept the old tunes in some shape or form!

Interesting to hear about the midi file definition. All the midi music from games sounded best on my Dos/Windows 3.1 computer with a Sound Blaster, compared to how my XP interprets the music.

14. ColPaladin

ColPaladin Chieftain

Guys, when I get the music, what do I DO with it? I'm not sure how to put it into the game. Also, if you want some great music for this game, try the music from Imperialism 1; an almost classic song. I'm putting the background music for "Shakespear In Love" in this game too (If I can eve figure out how to do it, that is).

15. brianshapiro

brianshapiro King

The original Colonization music was entertaining, but the music in the new game is pretty and is designed more to work with the other background sounds. So I think its pretty disrespectful to say it 'blows'. It wouldn't be bad if there were a few light tunes that came up from time to time, I was playing while my TV was on, and when a commercial came up that had music from the original Colonization, I mistakenly thought it was part of the game

16. 1EyedKing

1EyedKing Chieftain

17. Common Sensei

Common Sensei Warlord

I submitted an archive to the file database which contains the tunes ripped from Colonization for Windows, along with xml files to add them to the game's soundtrack as well.

Feel free to compare.

18. ColPaladin

ColPaladin Chieftain

Would someone be so kind as to tell me/us how you get the music you are showing us, into the game please :confused:

19. cephalo

cephalo Deity

I generally prefer the old music, but one of the new songs I really like. That one with the crazy native american chant is very cool.

20. Common Sensei

Common Sensei Warlord

Take a look at the mod in the link I provided above and read the readme.txt file. It will tell you where to put the files so that you can hear them in the game.