Colonization or Pirates

~Bamboo~

Chieftain
I was gonna pick up Colonization however it sounds kinda buggy from what Ive been reading here in the forums.

I've never played Sid's Pirates. Should I just go pick that up for now and check Colonization later?

If neither, could someone suggest a good strategy title I may have missed:). I've played Civ 2,3 and 4. Loved them all.

Thanks guys:crazyeye:

Yes, Pirates seemed like a time-waster, but for some reason it does become highly addictive. Much, much more so than Col II seems to be.

I think pirates is more repetetive and therefore ultimately more boring but it can be quite addictive nevertheless.
One thing I really miss from the original pirates! Is the way you meet ships. It's all out in the open in the remake.. in the classic pirates! you had to make a decision if you wanted to close enough to make out ship type then to make out flag.. and you couldn't be sure unless you got close, it might be other pirates or hunters trying to sneak up on you and you could be forced to fight if you didn't stay clear! There was always an excitement because you would search the waters for targets instead of having them on a huge radar, the sequel lost this mystique.

Pirates really is a classic. This game is also very good, but if you have to choose, Pirates is the more important game I think.

Ultimately you'll end up doing everything there is in the game before long.

And fight the same guy over and over and over.

I found pirates great fun but ultimately repetitive and lacks strategic depth. You say you've enjoyed civ, then pirates may be too arcade' for you while colonization presents more of a challenge.

I loved Pirates back in the day and the remake is great. But the thing I really hate about it is that there's only one path to becoming a Governor (I think that's the highest rank or is King's Adviser still in it?). The game basically gives you a list of everything you need to accomplish so once you meet the treasure quota, it makes no difference how much treasure you gain after that. I liked it better in the original when I didn't have a clear list of what to do and I felt I had more freedom to do what I want. I'd spend the game conquering the Caribbean and converting any enemies cities to my own nation. But now, obviously, doing that in the remake is pointless, especially if you're a duke for that nation. I just don't think pirates should have a checklist.

Oh god, Pirates! is a toy for kids. I can't believe anyone would compare it to the new version of Colonization? I mean really ...

The Dancing, which you really can't ignore, pretty much ruined Pirates for me.:(

Pirates is a wonderful game. (And anyone who can learn to do the swordfighting can learn to do the dancing, as well.) Totally different from Civ or Colonization, but I think, all in all, I've got alot more hours of fun from it that I will get from this version of Colonization which is indeed buggy.

Yeah, the dancing is not unlearnable, but I just don't want to be forced to learn something that I really think should have been left out. The entire game has a Disney feel to it and completely lacks a serious or gritty feel. Certainly enjoyable for a short while in a very casual way, just not in the same way that I remember Pirate's Gold. I played that alot.

Does anyone else have the problem with Pirates (new version) where the game is sped up excessively to a point where it's way too fast? It's like it's coded like old-time games where speed is conditioned on the hardware output of the rig running it.
I can't play it anymore because of this. :(

You guys rock. Thank you all for your opinions. I picked up Colonization on Steam. I'm really enjoying it so far. It is buggy however, I have not hit anything gamebreaking yet.

I am however lost on how to improve relations with the Native American's. Hell there's lot of stuff i don't understand yet. I am enjoying the game so far. The colonist/resource system is great. I just hope the trading and political decisions are not as shallow as they appear to be at this point.

Thanks again guys:goodjob:

They are shallow.

You can improve relations by trading (methinks, not sure), missions and certain founding fathers.
Also, some natives are just more friendly.

I found by increasing my culture boundaries I just kind of pushed the indians off their land without having to fight them for it, yet it didn't seem to piss them off at all.

Top Bottom