1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Colonization - worth trying?

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - General Discussions' started by lukeszp, Oct 3, 2008.

1. lukeszp

lukeszp Chieftain

I've read a lot of threads in which people complain about this game. I'm a fan of every Civ 4 game and now I'm wondering if it is better to wait for a patch / mod and then buy this game or not? It's really so bad :confused:

As an addition - I love playing old colonization.

ps. Sorry for my 'english' :blush:

2. Falk

Falk Chieftain

It's definitely better to wait for patches or fan mods.

Even though there evidently are players that have fun with Col2 the risk seems way too high that you are not one of them, especially since you enjoyed Col1.

3. minger

minger Chieftain

Yeah, the more I play this game, the more and more I appreciate the genius and fun of Col1. I really really miss Col1. Speaking of, isn't there supposed to be a free download somewhere?

4. Rockstone

Rockstone Chieftain

Sorry if this is confusing...
    I like playing Col2. Sure it can be improved, but the game is fun.
    There is a bit of a learing curve though, get ready to loose the first few games. Also, there is an exploit to win the game really quickly. Sort of a cheatcode, my advice is to stay away from that as that will ruin the game for you.

5. jediliz

jediliz Chieftain

An issue of PC Gamer, awhile back, had a CD Rom that had a free copy of the original game included, to prepare for the release of this new game. I don't know if you could buy it on back issue, since its not on newsstands anymore.

6. trytogrowupkid

trytogrowupkid Chieftain

Yes, its worth it.

7. unclethrill

unclethrill Why am I up right now?

I think it is worth getting but it will be better once they patch problems and add content. CIV4 was the same way when it first released. I hated it and just kept playing civ 3 until Warlords came out. BTS made the game perfect. So I say get it. Play it some and learn the basics then go back to Civ4 until a patch or expansion is released

8. Randomrandy

Randomrandy Revolutionary

Its worth it to me

9. eewallace

eewallace Chieftain

I liked original colonization. And I've played every civ since civ 2 and find BTS to have great replayability.

That said, I tihnk this game lags. Yeah, it is alot like original colonization, but it hasn't progressed like the civ series did. The lack of technology--or any meaningful education beyond native villages training people--makes for a serious lag from early-middle to late-middle game. The first is fun, with exploring and all. And war for independence is fun. There just isn't enough meat here to fill in, though...

10. Sir Ralph

Sir Ralph Dragon slayer

Not worth it at the moment. Wait half a year.

11. Ellestar

Ellestar Chieftain

Not now, it sucks.
    Wait until they'll release several patches, it may be a very good game after patches.

12. lukeszp

lukeszp Chieftain

Thanks!

BTW Are there any MODs which fix major bugs? I've seen some of them in the MODs download section but I'm still not sure which one (or combination of) removes major bugs.

Thanks again :)

13. dalgo

dalgo Chieftain

In that case you will love this version too. There are some minor issues that will be probably be fixed soon but the game is still great just as it is.