1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Colonizing New Islands

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by TehAko, Feb 13, 2006.

1. TehAko

TehAko Chieftain

Hey guys, I'm new here and just got the game -- how do I use my settlers to colonize new countries/islands/etc? I can't fit them on Caravels, and Galleys can't cross oceans. Could anybody tell me how to do this? (Hope this is the right forum for questions. =P)

Thanks!

2. sligo

sligo Warlord

If you can't get there with a galley, you may have to wait for the galleon (astronomy)

However, if the radius of one of your cities extends to the shore-area of the "target" island, I believe your galley can get there.

- Sligo

3. Eddie The Best

Eddie The Best Chieftain

You either have to have the galley travel along the coast and hope its close enough at some point. Caravels are good for exploring but i dont think they can carry settlers. Galleons will be the answer your looking for,cargo capacity 3,can traverse any sea square. Only a tech or two after Optics(where you got the Caravels from)

4. Karl Townsend

Karl Townsend Prince

be better if there was a tech that allows you to cross ocean with a gally

5. Canadian Bacon

Canadian Bacon Chieftain

Galleys can cross oceans if it is within your cultural boundaries, I believe. If that doesnt reach any islands, then you have to wait for Astronomy and Galleons.

6. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_ King

Yep, if I spot a good island out there in the ocean with a caravel, I usually beeline for astronomy to get my settlers out there first.

7. JIM G

JIM G Chieftain

Do lighthouses extend the range of galleys?
    I'm sure I read that somewhere...

8. crunch

crunch Emperor

In Civ3 perhaps.. The Great Lighthouse granted +1 movement bonus to ships...

9. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Chieftain

You may be thinking of the Great Lighthouse in Civ3. Lighthouses in Civ4 do not increase the mobility of seafaring vessels, they merely add +1 food to all coastal tiles in the radius of a city it was built in.

10. SenhorDaGuerra

SenhorDaGuerra Prince

I think this is a fault in the game, because the Portuguese and the Spanish both colonized South America using Caravels to cross the atlantic, taking their settlers with them.

However, after experiencing this first hand playing the game, im quite glad they didnt allow caravels to carry settlers because it helps to balance the game out, especially on Terra maps. and it also mean that the whole world isnt colonized by 1000 AD. It allows for barbarian cities to develop into quite formidable "city-states" and makes it more funt to colonize and hold onto ur newly founded cities. Well, i like war, so thats just my point of view.