Colorblind

Stoney the I

Prince
is there a colorblind mod?

I cant tell the french and the sumerians apart,to name just one example. on the minimap and often on the big map as well. its hell for me if two civs with (for me) the same color start next to eachother,

stuff like this is annoying: i was at war with the french in the east, and thought i was getting flanked in the west, only to find out its gilgamesh moving his army towards the zulu's through my land.

these days i scan all units of questionable origin with my mouse to see whom it belongs to, but thats annoying. i miss the colorblind help from civ3.

anybody have any leads?

No leads but I'm right there with ya. I hate not being able to tell.

In the creation and customization section there is a mod somewhere that makes every civ a different distinct colour.
This is all I can think of at the moment. I'll paste a link if I can find one.

Best way around this, declare war on all and make them all Orange!!!! The Dutch FTW!!!!

is there a colorblind mod?

I cant tell the french and the sumerians apart,to name just one example. on the minimap and often on the big map as well. its hell for me if two civs with (for me) the same color start next to eachother,

stuff like this is annoying: i was at war with the french in the east, and thought i was getting flanked in the west, only to find out its gilgamesh moving his army towards the zulu's through my land.

these days i scan all units of questionable origin with my mouse to see whom it belongs to, but thats annoying. i miss the colorblind help from civ3.

anybody have any leads?

This might help a little. On the main screen switch on show enemy units, it's the icon above the mini map on the far left. This will cause every enemy unit to have an icon pointer attached to them (like resources). Units not visible on screen will still have a pointer, but on the screen border pointing in the direction of the unit. If you hover you mouse over a unit it also tells you it's nationality in the info box (bottom left above the rest of the GUI).

Someday people will realize that it's not enough to make things different colors.... different patterns like hash marks and such go a long way. Until then, just mouse over stuff to see who it belongs to.

Hehehe, well I like the colours as they are....From time to time when Stoney and me are whooping ass, he often asks me the question WHERE are they left....gives me something to do, searching the Mini Map.....He has Prets, I have good vision, the AI has a problem :D

Thats the way, uh-huh uh-huh, I like it, uh-huh uh-huh!!!

Something that you could do (kind of a measure of last resort) is to copy the CIV4PlayerColorInfos.xml to your CustomAssets\xml\interface folder and modify the problematic player colors according to your visual (patho)physiology.

So to make Izzy turn green modify her entry (PINK) to:
Code:
<PlayerColorInfo>
	<Type>PLAYERCOLOR_PINK</Type>
	<ColorTypePrimary>COLOR_PLAYER_DARK_GREEN</ColorTypePrimary>
	<ColorTypeSecondary>COLOR_PLAYER_YELLOW</ColorTypeSecondary>
	<TextColorType>COLOR_PLAYER_DARK_GREEN_TEXT</TextColorType>
</PlayerColorInfo>

to get something like this:

:)

I am not colorblind, but I even have trouble telling some of them apart. The graphs tend to be hard to read when you have a couple of shades of purple, blue, gray, etc.. Yesterday I marched an army to the wrong city because of the color was so close to the guy I was warring with. Maybe if someone comes up with a easy solution, it will benefit colorblind and non-colorblind alike?

Makes me feel a bit better knowing even non colorblind guys march on the wrong cities :)

Nice to read people's thoughts on this, hope more is to come.

Something that you could do (kind of a measure of last resort) is to copy the CIV4PlayerColorInfos.xml to your CustomAssets\xml\interface folder and modify the problematic player colors according to your visual (patho)physiology.

thanks, thats a great tip. ill do that for the civs i like playing against but cant tell apart. :goodjob:

I sometimes have trouble distinguishing between the various greys, and the browns... I'd like to be able to choose the colours used for each team mid game. With that feature, if I start getting confused between two greys, I could just set one of them to be pink or something.

I like the idea of certain civs being certain colors, but outside scenarios it just isn't practical anymore. It might not be that hard to mod the game to just give random colors to the players in a game based on some kind of math that keeps the colors different enough.

I looked at the SDK a little bit and have some leads. I'm working on a mod directed at those with visiual impariments and this would be a good adition, so I'll look into it and let you know what I find out. :cool:

That would be neat, even for me who isn't colorblind, but has hard time telling some of the civs apart. I don't do any modding, but I wonder how hard it would be to make a mod where you could choose all of the civilizations colors before starting the game? That would probably work the best due to some people having different colorblinds (I don't think that is the correct term, but it works).

That would be neat, even for me who isn't colorblind, but has hard time telling some of the civs apart. I don't do any modding, but I wonder how hard it would be to make a mod where you could choose all of the civilizations colors before starting the game? That would probably work the best due to some people having different colorblinds (I don't think that is the correct term, but it works).

I've thought about letting players choose their color when they choose their Leader and Civ, but I don't know how that will work out yet. Is on the mod's outline and later I'll let you know more definitively if it will make it in or not. :goodjob:

For the moment, my main plan is a new Option Tab in the Options Screen. It will let you change your own Color in MP Games, among other things like putting decals around various things on the Map. In SP and HotSeat Games their will be a way to set the Color of any Player.

But yea, the basic idea is to give a dynamic way for those with special visual needs to personallize all the colors of the interface.

From the research I've done in the SDK so far, all this should be pretty easy to do, but I won't really start coding this until next weekend some time, so I'll know more then. :cool:

This might help a little. On the main screen switch on show enemy units, it's the icon above the mini map on the far left. This will cause every enemy unit to have an icon pointer attached to them (like resources). Units not visible on screen will still have a pointer, but on the screen border pointing in the direction of the unit. If you hover you mouse over a unit it also tells you it's nationality in the info box (bottom left above the rest of the GUI).

That is very helpful. Thank you.

Top Bottom