Colosseums

stopstopp

Struggling Emperor
Does anyone find themselves building Colosseum's to avoid the effects of war weariness? I personally now just started on prince and I am finding I get upwards of 15 War weariness which takes its toll as I lose a lot of production. I use colosseums to help with this problem, and I'm wondering what others do to deal with the problem.

Does anyone find themselves building Colosseum's to avoid the effects of war weariness? I personally now just started on prince and I am finding I get upwards of 15 War weariness which takes its toll as I lose a lot of production. I use colosseums to help with this problem, and I'm wondering what others do to deal with the problem.

I do use coliseums for the +1 happiness before slider.
I use them in conjunction with theatres vs war weariness by upping the cultural slider as high as needed, to be able to build more troops until the end of war.

I completely forgot about the slider, but I think of it as a last result as it sometimes tends to butcher my tech rate in games with a lot of floodplains, and I just hate fighting really backwards.

with that much War Weariness i'd look at how you do war, and how long your war is

Yeah, I guess I need more two front war experience.

Usually that much war weariness doesn't appear before the Industrial/Modern era, and then battling it with Police State/Mt. Rushmore/Jails (eliminating all WW) is less of a sacrifice than building every possible happy everywhere. Usually if I find myself building (non-UB) Colosseums that means I'm in serious trouble happiness-wise and that it's not really a solution, just a desperate stopgap.

Colosseums are one of my least favourite sources of happiness and I only use them in my largest cities. Generally I'll choose a temple or theatre before them if possible. They are useful for countering WW if you use the slider in a SE style game (where there is less commerce to lose) as long as you raise the slider in 20% intervals. Some games I'll run the slider at 20% during a war and even raise it to 40% for the last few turns when wiping out a Civ. In that situation a colosseum and theatre are very useful in large cities.

Dealing with WW is an artform. Note that jails are very useful in any city when the WW gets above 4, let alone 15 (where they save 3 or 4 unhappiness). A major part of any plan I have to make long and hard war includes getting jails. If you are trying to take over a large enemy civ it is sometimes better to do it in two bites rather than trying to do it in one go. So take some cities and then make peace for a time, hopefully extracting something valuable. The WW subsides much quicker when you're at peace. It also gives you a chance to build a few things in the newly captured cities. Then declare again and finish off the job.

Note if you're fighting a two front war it is best to concentrate on one front and knock that enemy out of the war. Don't aggressively invade both enemies at the same time as the two sets of WW are added togther. You only get WW while at war and WW is only gained when fighting on tiles where the enemy has culture. Obviously if you invade enemy territory every attack you make and every city you takes adds to the WW against that enemy. So try to defend on your own territory if possible on one front, actively destroying any invading stacks. Your own attacks and losses won't add to any WW you have against that enemy if you are entirely on your own culture so fighting a defensive war does have advantages. While you do that aggressively knock the other civ out of the war. If you eliminate a civ all the WW you have against them and all their culture is magically removed which makes the captured land much easier to control and use without unhappiness from WW and Motherland.

Top Bottom