1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

Colours and Civ Icons

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by j51, Jun 4, 2016.

1. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

It looks like their using the exact same colour schemes as in civ V so far. That would be a first for the series. Also, has anyone seen any icons for the civs? Maye they did away with those. It would certainly make changing the colours of the civs less annoying. Also, it would mean that no civs would have icons that are the same as some specific religions (i.e. Arabia, Spain, Korea, Byzantium).

2. Haig

Haig Deity

They should give us Civ 3 colours, England was orange and France was pink. (Clearly they planned Civ 3 for mobile devices)

I'm satisfied if they keep Civ 5 colors although there's couple I don't like, Aztecs for example. Matter of taste of course..

3. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

Ugh, I hated the French pink and English orange. I just want the early modern units to have the correct colours for their uniforms. (English red, French blue, Russian green, etc.) I hope that having civ-specific unit designs means that this could happen without having to use those specific colours for those civs. Most of the civ V colour schemes were good, but they over-used dark red and having India and China as different greens was weird. Also, the Austrian, Polish and Russian colours were all mixed up.

4. m15a

m15a Emperor

Pink for France? Seriously, ugh!

Every true Civ fan knows the England is pink. ;)

5. King William I

King William I King

Actually, from the screenshots and video, we can assume that Egypt will have been inverted from 4 and 5

6. Haig

Haig Deity

I hope that the industrial/modern units get some of the national flavor, like German riflemen having the spiked helm and British world war infantry having their flat steel helmets etc.

7. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

Oh yeah. That's weird. I wonder what Rome's colours will be? A dark wine red, maybe?

That would be great. I also hope the musketmen are in 18th century tri-corne uniforms.

8. Haig

Haig Deity

j51:
    Yeah I'd like that too or napoleonic era style.
    It's been different from game-to-game, like in Civ 3 the musketman has this early musket + rod where it rests:
    Spoiler :

9. Loaf Warden

Loaf Warden (no party affiliation)

Civ II mostly used the same color schemes as the first game. Five of the seven pairs of civs kept their original colors.

My suspicion is that the designs have just not been finalized yet. I would certainly be okay with having the icons removed; while some of the icons have actually been pretty cool, with some civs it is problematic to try to represent the entirety of their civilization with a single icon. They've never gotten one for the Greeks that really works, and as you point out some of the ones they've used are actually symbols for religions that may or may not align with what religion the civ ends up with in-game. The St. George's Cross they used for England in Civ IV works, but seems a bit jarring when the ruler ends up being Churchill or Victoria. (As, indeed, it's a bit jarring to have Churchill or Victoria ruling an entity called "England" with only English cities, rather than acknowledging the rest of the UK. But that's another issue.) By contrast, the crown they used for England in Civ V seems bland and generic to me. It doesn't say "England" to me so much as it just says "monarchy". I understand that the UK (and therefore England) is one of a dwindling number of countries in the modern world that retains its monarchy, but in a historical game of this scope, where most civs have notable monarchs from their history as leader irrespective of whether they are still under a monarchy today, there's nothing particularly notable about England having a monarch.

The insistence of having only two colors for the icon is also too limiting. There would be a wider range of available symbols, and therefore a better chance of finding a symbol that really works, if they would do away with that limitation. It's one thing to have two colors represent a civ for, say, their borders, but why restrict their icon in that way? If they must keep the icons, they should at least allow for more colors to be used in them.

10. Art Grin

Art Grin Emperor

I do miss blue Germany and dark red Byzantines though. :blush:

11. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

In Civ V the UI of your own cities doesn't display the civ icon, only foreign cities. Thus far the only foreign cities we've seen are the City-States, which have the city-state type icon in the usual place. I'm expecting that foreign civs will still display their civ icon in that slot.

The UI is still a work in progress; you can see in the video that Xi'an and Shenyang have empty black circles to the right of the city name. I would guess that's where the religion icon goes.

12. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

Yes, please. Give England Scottish, Welsh, and Irish city-names (or make Dublin a city-state), and give "The Celts" Gaulish, Brittonic, and Celtiberian city-names (if they must be "The Celts" rather than "The Gauls").

13. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

Spoiler :

Yeah, the Greek icon's have not been great. A Gorgoneion would be a neat pan-Greek symbol.

As for England, I liked the crown. I think they picked it because of the popularity of the Keep Calm and Carry On sign back when Civ V came out.

Yeah, making the English the British would go a long way towards squaring the Celtic circle.

14. stiiknafuulia

stiiknafuulia King

Imo, they should make it easy to switch the colors of the civs to any color that you like, at least from the setup screen, but why not from within an ongoing game as well. Since you can do it in the World Builder in Civ V, it can't be that hard to offer this option in the actual game. This way, everyone would get their favorite combos; the only downside that I can see is that some sort of abstract 'identity' of the civs is diluted if their colors are easily adjustable. As far as I'm concerned, that's quite a bargain. :goodjob:

15. m15a

m15a Emperor

I guess the downside would be having all those extra menus in the game. Possibly it wouldn't be worth the visual space if not many people would care to change them. In that case, making the colors easy to change in an XML file would be a good solution.

16. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

It wasn't hard to change the colours in five using xml, but it still left the icon unchanged. Even after BNW, when the smaller icon's would change their colour, the larger would not. They just need to make it so that the icon colours can change with the civs. Basically, the icons should only exist in alpha. (If I'm using the correct term.)

17. Felis Renidens

Felis Renidens Prince

They should give civs 3 colors each, with many of them using different combinations of red, white and blue. :p

18. IkM

IkM King

Sorry to an off-topic question guys but could anyone tell me how many civs they announced so far?

19. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

3 officially confirmed.
    China
    America
    Egypt

1 observed in screenshots but not confirmed:
    Japan

Plus some hinted at:
    Aztecs
    India

20. nunor