combat animations and special effects disappearing after a while

lead341

Chieftain
Hi everyone,

I have noticed that after some time (some rounds) combat animations of units start disappearing, like missing muzzle flash, trajectories of projectiles, certain explosions etc. I always have to restart the game in order to get the proper animations again.

Since the game is already out for almost a year I am not sure if this is a bug or if this might be related to my system. I am playing on a Geforce 970 GTX with the current driver 355.82. Is there maybe a compatibility issue to that driver or the graphics card? Or possible some graphics setting that is causing this.

If anyone has got a solution please let me know.

Cheers,

lead

I had indeed found another thread, but this one is pretty old, from the time of the Launch of the game.

Shouldn´t this be patched by now? And is there something I can do in order to avoid that?

Best you can do is save, go to the start menu, then reload the game. It buys you about 5-10 good turns in my estimation.

I am the person who started the much older thread about this issue. I am happy to report that the combat animations STILL glitch out and that at this point I doubt anything will be done about it.

Right now there are much more pressing concerns that they need to deal with so I don't think this problem is on their to do list.

Just adding my own voice to this thread in the hope Firaxis takes notice...

Yeah, I've noticed this as well. Not sure if it's the same bug, but I've reached affinity-related (Purity) unit appearances in my current game, and while some effects show, particle effects (red bolts and all that, I assume) are entirely missing.

I contacted the support center Firaxis and some developers. They told that this is bug of Civ 5 graphic engine (Civ BE use too) and told me that something like this:
"We do not care about fix these bug. This bug there more than five years and we are not worried about your complaint. Good game, bye".

Total: This bug will NEVER be fixed!!! Say thanks Firaxis (2k) support)).

This bug is extremely annoying. I have dealt with it across two different computers since the launch of BE. I can hardly go 5 turns before the pretty laser-colors and explosions disappear. I understand this is nit-picky, but it is sort of ruining the game for me. I really enjoy watching the animations; it sucks me into the world of civ and makes me feel like my men are fighting intense battles, as commanded by me. but every time, my buzz is killed. is it really that complex of an issue to solve...that we can play the game we bought in its natural state?

This bug is extremely annoying. I have dealt with it across two different computers since the launch of BE. I can hardly go 5 turns before the pretty laser-colors and explosions disappear. I understand this is nit-picky, but it is sort of ruining the game for me. I really enjoy watching the animations; it sucks me into the world of civ and makes me feel like my men are fighting intense battles, as commanded by me. but every time, my buzz is killed. is it really that complex of an issue to solve...that we can play the game we bought in its natural state?

I think you must send message to 2k support.

And here I was hoping so much that this problem would have been solved with the Add-on Rising Tide. So obviously it hasn´t right? Due to work I hadn´t started it yet, but I intended to return to the game next week.

I remember my last game end of september - large map, huge final battles. Sometimes I had to restart the game each round, sometimes even several times in a single round. That is so annoying - I mean, still I enjoy the game so much I continued playing, but why can´t this be resolved?

Now people write this is an engine issue. ok, but still - something must cause it inside the engine. Restarting the game solves the problem for some minutes, then it starts occurring. So something must happen during this time which makes the engine do that. Could this be a memory leak-Problem maybe? I´ve got 8 GB of Ram - would upgrading to 16 GB possibly solve it? Or is there some obscure graphics-setting that might be responsible?

I´ve got 8 GB of Ram - would upgrading to 16 GB possibly solve it? Or is there some obscure graphics-setting that might be responsible?
No. This is bug of game engine. You cannot fix it your RAM, videocard or drivers. Only Firaxis can fix it. Tell about in 2k support

It's far from nitpicky. It's a pretty serious bug as far as graphic glitches go, and it's probably not easy to fix. It should still be on the devs' short list, given how fundamental it is.

But it doesn't seem to be, so we can only hope and wait.

Update:

I submitted a bug report to 2K and they asked me in a preliminary reply to post my DxDiag and MsInfo32 file. Now this kind of makes me hopeful. If it was an intrinsic engine issue they wouldn´t ask for my dxdiag, right? So probably it must be something on my (or rather our) systems - that´s the only logical conclusion. As soon as I get the second reply from 2k customer support I will post it here immediately.

Moderator Action: This is an English-language site. Please post in English, or post an English translation.

Update:

I submitted a bug report to 2K and they asked me in a preliminary reply to post my DxDiag and MsInfo32 file. Now this kind of makes me hopeful. If it was an intrinsic engine issue they wouldn´t ask for my dxdiag, right? So probably it must be something on my (or rather our) systems - that´s the only logical conclusion. As soon as I get the second reply from 2k customer support I will post it here immediately.

Request to posting Dxdiag and Msinfo32 is standard action support in graphics issues. They asked me to do the same. If properly explain the problem, they send this report to developers and asked to follow the news on their page.
Text copy my report from 2k support: View attachment 2k report.txt
Last messages in report by Russian here.
To explain the situation, I showed them the official trailer with bug on 1:13 minute https://youtu.be/R7puJXHMx6w?t=1m13s
This was evidence that this is not a player's computer bug.

I hope it is ok and permitted to post the replies from Costumer Support - to help possibly other players:

Thank you for contacting 2K Support.

I am sorry that you are still having issues with the combat animations in Beyond Earth.

It appears that you are receiving core Windows Operating System .dll file crashes. When corrupted, these tend to cause issues across a number of applications.

As with any Windows corruption, it may be a good idea to start with a virus scanner. File corruption can be caused by a variety of factors, most completely unrelated to malware, but it is always a good idea to run a scan if you see these types of errors.

Once the virus scan is complete, we are going to use the sfc /scannow tool, to check for system corruption, and hopefully repair any damaged files.

The sfc /scannow command (System File Checker) scans the integrity of all protected Windows 7 system files and replaces incorrect corrupted, changed/modified, or damaged versions with the correct versions if possible.

*Warning*
*Be aware that if you have modified your system files as in theming explorer/system files, running sfc /scannow will revert the system files such as explorer.exe back to it's default state. Make the appropriate backups of your system files that you have modified for theming if you wish to save them before running sfc /scannow.*

To Run the SFC /SCANNOW Command in Windows 7:

1) Navigate to the Start Menu->All Programs->Accessories==> Then right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator

2) To Scan and Repair System Files NOTE: Scans the integrity of all protected system files and repairs the system files if needed. Please see above.

3) In the elevated command prompt, type the following and press Enter: sfc /scannow

NOTE: This may take a little bit to finish.

4) When the scan is complete, hopefully all files will pass, and it will say \Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

**If SFC could not fix something, then run the command again to see if it may be able to the next time. Sometimes it may take running the sfc /scannow command 3 or more times to completely fix everything that it's able to.

**If not, then you can attempt to run a System Restore using a restore point dated before the bad file occured to fix it. You may need to repeat doing a System Restore until you find a older restore point that may work.

5) When done, close the elevated command prompt.

If none of these resolves the issue, it may be worth creating a new Windows user log-in with administrative privileges, and try running the game from there, and see if that resolves your issue.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Go forth and conquer the world!

Jason L.
2K Support

I hope it is ok and permitted to post the replies from Costumer Support - to help possibly other players:
OMG what is it?)) This is crap! Virus scanning?)) This bug have all players...ALL!
Even in the official trailer you can see this. This is NOT possibly other players.
I think you must read my posts carefully and not posting stupidity.

Moderator Action: Please watch your tone when posting. Addressing other users in this manner is unacceptable.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I opened a ticket of my own, and after submitting the required files (DxDiag and msinfo), Jason asked me to update my drivers, which are only a month old...

But creating new Windows users? That's some serious beating around the bush by 2K Support.

I'll play some more tonight to make sure, even though it's been reported the newest NVIDIA drivers make no difference. And then I'll see what they tell me next.

So far it's been tech support SOP, but I guess they need to get that out of the way to confirm it's a game bug. While that makes some sense, they must've gotten several reports about this, and on the other hand it's not really acceptable that a game would only run as intended if your computer setup is in 100% flawless tip-top shape.

Top Bottom