Combat animations are awful

Jabulani

Warlord
Unit combat animations are awful imo.

They seem a folkloric dance with some fireworks.

Units switch poitions, move one over the other, many times they do not even use weapons, sometimes horses which lose go 4-5 tiles away lost nowhere...

I hoped each unit had an unique own weapon animation but I see devs remembered to give units ethnic layout but forgot to give them a proper weapon usage animation.

Last edited:
After half a game for me, animations disabled, leader animations disabled, Sean Bean disabled. Did you see the victory movies ? I wish I could disable them too.

The unit animations are far better than they've ever been before in this franchise, with Civ III the closest contender. You must not have played Civ IV, where the units would often not even appear to attack the correct tile. Of all the things to complain about, animations are not among them. I for one will never disable any of the animations, even in multiplayer.

I've found to like the new animations quite a bit. The way a spearman impales the last guy and throws him away is just epic :) Yes there are a few quinks such as submarines torpedoing land tiles and the redcoats that keep marching for 5 seconds after a battle. But these are jusy smaller annoyances, can't say I've noticed any unita using their weapons wrong or anything.

In all the previews and Lets Plays, I never liked the look of the animations. But since playing, and zooming in close to the units during combat, I really am starting to like them. They're fun, comical.

Top Bottom