Combat calculations at begin of turn

Commander Bello

Say No 2 Net Validations
Combat seems to be calculated in 2 subsequent rows, or better, calculation and display seem not to be linked very closely.

As you may see in the attached save, the Sumerian Galley south of Babil gets attacked by a Barbarian Dromon (changed the Barbarian naval unit from Galley to Dromon). It is a bombardment.
When it is displayed, nothing seems to happen.
But, after you have managed all your cities, and the turn actually starts with enabling you to move your units, suddenly you here the explosion and see that Galley loose some hitpoints.

This effect is confusing when you have several naval attacks and bombardments going on. It may be a special problem of Barbarian naval attacks, though...#

Nevertheless, although this effect seems to be related to the modification I did, I think it really is a (at least minor) bug, since not the results or something similar, but the sequence of the events are confusing.

Save game

I've seen the same thing with several types of naval units - always bombardment. So it's not just a barbarian issue.

I think it is a graphics issue. The computer is calculating all kinds of AI things and desn't have time to update your visual information. When it has finished calculating some AI tactics, it shows the result of the bombardments.

Originally posted by Roland Johansen
I think it is a graphics issue. The computer is calculating all kinds of AI things and desn't have time to update your visual information. When it has finished calculating some AI tactics, it shows the result of the bombardments.

The problem is, the game displays the bombardment and then switches through all other units. After that, out of a sudden the result of the bombardment is displayed again. This can be very confusing if more than one bombardment takes place.
Some turns ago I had some Dromons bombard and attack different Galleys of mine. One of them was sunk.
So, you just look to the one edge of the world, then the display switched to another one, you see your Galley sink and have lost all idea about what has lead to that result.

But I agree with you, it is clearly a problem of at which event the display of the graphics (and sound, by the way) is triggered.

I believe that the graphics and sound are updated when another event takes place at the same part of the map. Then the results of the old combats become visible.

Something like this.

A unit of yours is bombarded. You have no idea of the damage done. Then it is bombarded again and you see the damage of the first bombardment. Then you move to another part of the worild to see some fighting there. Later you move back as the unit next to the first unit is bombed and at this moment the graphics for the first unit are updated and it dies.

If this is what you are experiencing then it is not new to C3C and it is a problem of the game allocating processor power to things in a certain order. Graphic updates clearly don't have priority.

Top Bottom