Combat frustration

buck beach

Prince
So I have this army attacking a Russian City. It is a very diversified make up including 6 Bombard units and many classes of defending support units (Spearman, Hunters, Footman, Archers, etc and two classes of Horse units.
The Russians have this low powered unit called "Vasdniks" that is apparently allowed to flank attack my Bombard units unmolested (an wipe them out) regardless of any other defenders (including advanced Spearmen).

Something just not right here. How does one defend against such units?

Errgggg!!

After another look it seems like all units are allowed to directly attack my Bombards. Where the defenses.

Last edited:
Flank attack doesn't necessarily mean it attacks your siege units directly. It attacks your stack and if the attack is succesful (that is the unit survives the defender -- which is usually not the siege unit), it deals some damage to siege units in your stack. Most light cavalry have this ability. Timariot used to have an ability where it automatically attacked the siege units directly, but IIRC it got changed to be against some other type of unit because it was frustrating and devastating.

There is no mechanic in the game which specifically prevents units from directly attacking siege units, other defenders present or not. It comes down to how the defender is chosen.

If your bombards are chosen to defend against vsadniks regardless, it might be because they actually are the strongest defender, which seems counterintuitive but I think they have a higher base strength than spearmen, hunters and archers. And Vsadniks, I think, have a bonus against mounted units. It's also possible that you might have a better defender but it has so many promos that the AI considers it a "valuable unit" and protects it (an option which can be turned off), choosing not send it to combat unless the odds are greatly in its favor, or it's the last resort. It really comes down to lots of situational variables. The combat in RI can be really challenging (a positive thing in my opinion).

If I had to offer one advise: The rest of your stack composition seems to be a bit obsolete, compared to the level of technology bombards become available. With that kind of composition I usually have at most trebuchets as my siege units. Can you build swordsmen, or medieval swordsmen, or one of the best units for stack protection: pikemen? Or are you lacking iron? Axemen, if you have bronze? If you don't have resources, does the civ you're currently playing have the option to build longbowmen once you've researched the required tech?

Also, flank attack can be less devastating if you have two stacks with the siege units divided amongst them (2-3 per stack). Naturally you might need more of the other units.

Flank attack doesn't necessarily mean it attacks your siege units directly. It attacks your stack and if the attack is succesful (that is the unit survives the defender -- which is usually not the siege unit), it deals some damage to siege units in your stack. Most light cavalry have this ability. Timariot used to have an ability where it automatically attacked the siege units directly, but IIRC it got changed to be against some other type of unit because it was frustrating and devastating.

There is no mechanic in the game which specifically prevents units from directly attacking siege units, other defenders present or not. It comes down to how the defender is chosen.

If your bombards are chosen to defend against vsadniks regardless, it might be because they actually are the strongest defender, which seems counterintuitive but I think they have a higher base strength than spearmen, hunters and archers. And Vsadniks, I think, have a bonus against mounted units. It's also possible that you might have a better defender but it has so many promos that the AI considers it a "valuable unit" and protects it (an option which can be turned off), choosing not send it to combat unless the odds are greatly in its favor, or it's the last resort. It really comes down to lots of situational variables. The combat in RI can be really challenging (a positive thing in my opinion).

If I had to offer one advise: The rest of your stack composition seems to be a bit obsolete, compared to the level of technology bombards become available. With that kind of composition I usually have at most trebuchets as my siege units. Can you build swordsmen, or medieval swordsmen, or one of the best units for stack protection: pikemen? Or are you lacking iron? Axemen, if you have bronze? If you don't have resources, does the civ you're currently playing have the option to build longbowmen once you've researched the required tech?

Also, flank attack can be less devastating if you have two stacks with the siege units divided amongst them (2-3 per stack). Naturally you might need more of the other units.

That is exactly how I thought the mechanics were suppose to work. That is my complaint!! This appears to be broken. First line of defense appears to be my Bombards exclusively (Str6). I do have the equivalent of Pikemen in the form of Heavy Spearmen (Str8) and Footmen (Str8) in the stack as well as "cannon fodder" Levies (Str 6).

I have play the Mod in the past and don't remember this being such an issue.

Top Bottom