1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Combat mechanics?

Discussion in 'CivRev - Strategy & Tips' started by Freddy Fear, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Freddy Fear

Freddy Fear Chieftain

Sorry, wrong forum...

How is the combat mechanics working? I can't seem to figure out why I loose and what it takes for me to win. I loose alot.

I'm trying out Noble now in BtS, and that meens I suddenly need to do quite a bit more fighting then the easier levels where I could go for a science, cultural or some kind of friendly victory. I usually had stronger troops then my oponents, so I'm rarely attacked.

At Noble I get the understanding that I play with the same " means" as the oponents, but to me this doesn't seem to be the case.

Example: me: Saladin, neighbor: Joao. I saw him being able to seal me off early, so I start serie- producing tropps (Archers and Axemen), and kept doing this for the rest of the game. Still he is able to keep a stronger force than me constantly (we both had only Capital when this started). In addition he made 4-5 settlers, kept replacing the workers I killed while he still kept ahead of me in research, I was never below 80%. He established 5 other cities, 2 I managed to raze before he filled these with Archers and this didn't seem to hurt his maintenance in any way.

Then the combat: I attack his 20% defence city with a stack of 6 Axemen, it's defended by 2 Archers with 1 Strength upgrade, my Axemen had Strength and Raider. I throw all 6 at him and I'm beaten.

On my side he sends 1 Archers (again with 1 strength) after my lonesome worker trying to hurt my Copper harvest. He kicks a hole in my outer perimiter of Archers, even though I have Protective trait so my Archers have 3 upgrades and 25% defending bonus from Fortify. I then throw 2 more at him as he passes through my lands and the third manages to take him down!!

To me these numbers, defence- percentages and upgrades seems like only a measure for comparison. The mechanics are based on difficulty and the strength me and my oponent have. Like this: I was torn down by Montezuma in a game the other day and just kept playing to see how bad it would get. 2 of my cities were taken very fast and I was suddenly at the very bottom of the scale. But now I had 3 Archers defending my Capitol from the inhumane stacks of Swordsmen he was sending in. And they defended it very good. He threw in stacks of 10- 15 each round, with Chariots, Spearmen, Swordsmen, Archers and I still won!
    So why didn't the other cities defend this good? To me it seems like the game "calculated" that I wasn't doing that bad when he first attacked me, so my forces were weaker! Or performing worse in a way.

Warfare is just frustrating this way, it's a like a dice- roll but the dice have alot of modifiers.

Could someone explain this to me? Or point me towards some article on this subject. Or is there a modifier I'm not aware about?

2. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

Are you playing Civ IV instead of CivRev?

3. Freddy Fear

Freddy Fear Chieftain

ouch, just realised, sorry...