1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Combat modifications

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Community Enchancement Project' started by SpoiledFruit, May 21, 2006.

1. SpoiledFruit

SpoiledFruit Chieftain

I think that we should add an optional combat style to the CCP dll like Dale's combat mod. I do think that combat needs somewhat of an overhaul and this is an example of one that is headded in the right direction.

Dale's combat mod: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=168966

This is definitely not a priority addition but would be nice to add once we get the foundation laid.

2. The Great Apple

The Great Apple Big Cheese

From what I can tell he's probably made quite a few heavy duty changes to get this to work as it does.

As you said, we'd have to get a bit further off the ground first. He'd have to finish it first as well :p

3. chrusion

chrusion Chieftain

4. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

Has anyone here played Pirates!
    Maybe we could have a combat system like that. It should be simple enough to make the AI understand it.
    To stop the player becoming bogged down in battles maybe all battles with less than 5 troops should be automaticaly resolved?

5. The Great Apple

The Great Apple Big Cheese

A quick note - we're not about modding the game to be something else. We are planning to have mods which can change the game to be something else if the user wants to, but these mods will mostly be available in the community as well. This comment really belongs in the main C&C forum, for example. Probably in the discussion about the combat mod.

6. Dale

Dale Chieftain

To be honest, I think you'd be surprised at how much of the original implementation is still used. ;)

I've written a wrapper to combat that essentially changes "getBestAttacker" and "getBestDefender" to me feeding in a specific attacker and defender. Combat resolution still uses the same formula at the base level.

Some of the changes I DID make include:
    - no collatoral combat (since one unit can combat a number of units within one battle)
    - All units have the possibility of performing multiple attacks/defends per battle
    - ranged/bombard units first-strike concept changed so they get free combat rounds (still with a chance to miss). If there is no melee units covering them, then the ranged/bombard units become the frontline troops and loss this bonus.
    - The wrapper allows the concept of combined arms, where each type of unit works assists each other during the battle.

A consequence of allowing combined arms was I had to write specific wrappers for air combat (intercepts and air bombs) so they would work with the new combat model.

As for completion, field bombardment is almost complete and stacked combat is complete. This morning I also implemented missile attacks, so if a unit has <bDCMMissile>1</bDCMMissile> in their xml UnitInfo section, then they will be destroyed after their combat roll.

Dale