combat strength feels off

BenchBreaker

Warlord
Early game the relative upgrades are massive

warrior vs spearman(6->10, 67%)
spearman vs swordman(10->15, 50%)
horseman vs knight / pikeman vs tercio (15->25, 60%)

last night I had to face turn 20 cataphracts with 30% combat promotion, it's 26 strength is more than 4 times that of my warrior 6 so its like GDR against long swordsman, that's way too big a gap early game. from experience generally horseman are pretty much invincible against archers taking less than 10 damage per shot whilst bowman can do decent 30ish, the jump is huge.

however late game upgrades are very small
landship vs tank(55->65, 18%)
rifleman vs infantry(45->55, 22%)
infantry vs mech infantry (55->70, 27%)
special forces vs xcom (65->80。 23%)

the rocket artillery 80rcs/50cs can petty much demolish them all from huge distance whilst not too afraid of being melee'd

percentages matter because promotions, terrain and GG buffs are based on percentages, if the upgrade is so small then a veteran unit with terrain and GG and authority bonuses can easily outclass and kill units 2 eras more advanced. which is what happened when my morden armor and mech inf got killed left and right in 2 or 3 hits my rifleman and Gatling guns

It's good to make the numbers look pretty but they still have to be more or less proportionally balanced. the 25->35->45->55->65 stuff gets weaker and weaker upgrades.

I think a good balance is each upgrade tier is 40% stronger than the previous one, so a unit with couple promotion and moral/authority/GG can pretty match the next tier unit. also notice two 40% compounded is 96% so pretty much doubles cs every two tiers This means currently the early upgrades are too much and the later ones too little.

here is a list of 40% upgrades rounded to the nearest integer
Code:
5 scout
7 warrior
10 spearman
14 swordsman
20 longswordsman
28 tercio
39 fusilier
55 rifleman
77 infantry
108 mech infantry
151 GDR
pikeman should get 17 halfway between swords and long swords since they are 3 tech columns from spearman

we can make the numbers pretty but i would not recommend for the earlier ones since one or two points is significant percentage wise, so
Code:
14(15)
28(30)
unique units should have 20% more CS so they are half way to the next tier
notice currently some unique have like 37 vs 35 against the units they replace which is 6% increase whilst many early unique are 12 vs 10 which is 20% increase. we cant just add 2 cs and say they have the same effect.

so with that we would have following strength for unique
Code:
9 jaguar
12 immortal
17 legion
24 samurai
33 musketeer
48 winged hussar
65 pricinha  etc
for archery units their combat strength should be 1 tier lower than same era melee, so
Code:
5 archer
7 composite bow
10 crossbow
14 musket
20 gatling
28 machinegun
40 bazooka
this might seem low but ranged units already dominate as it is, currently even if they get cached offguard by same era melee they wont even lose half hp in most cases. and for mounted archery their cs should match that of the current era melee, so
Code:
7 chariot
10 skirmisher
14 heavy sk
20 criussier
28 cavalry 
40 armored car etc
currently their cs is too high that same era melee attacking them (which is difficult enough to do often results in minor defeats)

unique unites can also get 20% buff camel archer can have 17 cs

Overall, given that promotions, terrain, buffs, policies are all percentage it makes sense to keep the CS era to era proportionally balanced rather than simply add 5 or add 10

EDIT:
another thing is that same era ranged ships are almost one shorting each other like crazy since they are using their rcs when attacking but melee cs when defending from ranged attacks. so Dromon firing on another Dromon is 15 vs 5, gallaes on on another is 25 vs 10. which means with a couple of anti ship promotions you'll one shot everything same era and below. basically once you get range promotion on your ships you can easily snipe all of AI's ranged ships without them responding

I find the implication that the current CS/RCS balance exists as-is because "it's good to make the numbers look pretty" quite insulting. It is also absolutely unfounded.

Current CS/RCS balance exists to favor bigger % CS/RCS change up to the mid-game game because you have far fewer units during the first 200 turns of the game than you do during the last 200-400 turns. As the size of AI/human militaries increase, the disparity between tech levels of units goes down so that civs with higher production are able to adequately challenge civs of a higher tech level. Otherwise, we encounter yet another scenario where the only thing that matters is tech level. Furthermore, late-game units receive a lot more free promotions (and also have access to quite a few more unique promotions and/or standard XP promotions), thus CS/RCS is adjusted downwards to compensate.

G

ok somehow multiples of 5 just happens to be perfectly balanced :shifty:

j/k aside if so make advanced units cost less to produce because the hammer cost and gold upgrade cost increases are huge. and provide such little benefit, rather than tech up, you'd better invest in xp building and the extra promotion pretty much give you the same result with less hammers needed to produce the units

as it stands spearman(Impi) killing tank(lanship) is back in fashion

also you did not respond to the ranged cs issue, melee are pretty much useless right now which hinders AI greatly since melee is needed to take cities

Early game the relative upgrades are massive

I do feel like the archer is underperforming for some reason, it deals absolutely no damage to warriors and spearmen, which are same era units (and absolutely no damage to galleys, but galleys are stupid)
Don't really have enough data to back this up, but having a slinger with 3 dealing 4 damage per hit to a spearman really doesn't feel good to me.

I do feel like the archer is underperforming for some reason, it deals absolutely no damage to warriors and spearmen, which are same era units (and absolutely no damage to galleys, but galleys are stupid)
Don't really have enough data to back this up, but having a slinger with 3 dealing 4 damage per hit to a spearman really doesn't feel good to me.

yeah and as soon as you get cbow/xbow they owns face

I like it how it is mostly, Knights being very strong is natural because they did dominate the wars and battles of Medieval. Hell, if we were to be very accurate Pikes/Spears should only get any significant Horse fighting bonus if defending, otherwise be pretty bad.

I only don't like ships too much, they feel a bit too strong? I don't know why land units get -25% damage against those.

ok somehow multiples of 5 just happens to be perfectly balanced :shifty:

Now you're not just uniformed, but also just being a jerk. Classy. Since you seem to have a hard time understanding this, I'll explain it again.

Early units have a higher disparity in unit->unit upgrade CS/RCS because you have fewer units, and you do not have the capacity to field armies as large as you can in the late-game. This gives a slight advantage to tech-rushing your military (as tech-rushed unit production costs need to have strong incentive to work).

This disparity shrinks as the game goes on because other factors begin to affect the utility and power of military units. Buildings, UAs, wonders, policies, beliefs, etc. all affect the combat power of your units. Thus having a standardized spread of military CS/RCS change creates an imbalance of power for civs that prioritize technology over military infrastructure and veterancy for units.

The fact that the difference between units is 5 is irrelevant – It could be 200 or 70 or 10, and my design intent would remain the same. Late-game units should have decreased CS/RCS disparity to compensate for the value of training and promotions. Having the end result CS for units hover around 100 IS a design element that I chose precisely because the 0-100 scale is quite common in Civ, thus it is a easily-recognizable valuation of power. Compare this to, say, the fact that a Missionary is worth 1000 pressure. This number is difficult to judge without an understanding of how pressure is calculated.

In the future, instead of lobbing unfounded accusations at me, how about you simply ask me WHY I designed something the way I did?

G

In the future, instead of lobbing unfounded accusations at me, how about you simply ask me WHY I designed something the way I did?
I'll ask you some WHY-questions if you want :D
Why are archers(the unit, not the line) so weak?
Why do they have the same CS as RCS?
Don't you think they would have been better off as maybe 6 RCS and 4CS?

There is a pretty big jump between the Archer and the Comp-bow (in tech), I mean the comp-bow shows up after the swordsman. I have no idea how the archer performs versus the swordsman, but I can assume that it deals no damage at all as that's how it deals with spearmen :D

I'll ask you some WHY-questions if you want :D
Why are archers(the unit, not the line) so weak?
Why do they have the same CS as RCS?
Don't you think they would have been better off as maybe 6 RCS and 4CS?

There is a pretty big jump between the Archer and the Comp-bow (in tech), I mean the comp-bow shows up after the swordsman. I have no idea how the archer performs versus the swordsman, but I can assume that it deals no damage at all as that's how it deals with spearmen :D

I had mixed feelings about leaving the archer where it currently is, RCS/CS-wise. I didn't want to promote 'archer-rush' cheese by making them too strong, but I also didn't want to make them too weak. I think I leaned towards the latter out of caution. A single point bump in RCS might suffice, especially considering, as you note, the tech disparity between them.

G

I had mixed feelings about leaving the archer where it currently is, RCS/CS-wise. I didn't want to promote 'archer-rush' cheese by making them too strong, but I also didn't want to make them too weak. I think I leaned towards the latter out of caution. A single point bump in RCS might suffice, especially considering, as you note, the tech disparity between them.

Might I also suggest you bump up the slinger to the same RCS (with maybe lower CS to compensate), Archers still aren't going to be strong and that 1 point of RCS is the difference between dealing 5ish damage and dealing 15ish damage (which kinda neglects the whole point of the logistics)

I agree that Archers seem super weak since the CS re-balance a little while ago. I mostly skip making them if possible, just like Warriors.

I would definitely be in favor of a 1 point RCS bump in archers (not sure if the CS would need to be nerfed, I would just do the RCS bump first to test). The feeling I've had is that archers are nearly useless as soon as spearmen are on the field, and from there it's quite a while before composite bowmen show up.

I would definitely be in favor of a 1 point RCS bump in archers (not sure if the CS would need to be nerfed, I would just do the RCS bump first to test). The feeling I've had is that archers are nearly useless as soon as spearmen are on the field, and from there it's quite a while before composite bowmen show up.

Could have the Archer at 6RCS 5CS and the slinger at 6RCS 4CS, would be fair I think.

Now you're not just uniformed, but also just being a jerk. Classy. Since you seem to have a hard time understanding this, I'll explain it again.

Early units have a higher disparity in unit->unit upgrade CS/RCS because you have fewer units, and you do not have the capacity to field armies as large as you can in the late-game. This gives a slight advantage to tech-rushing your military (as tech-rushed unit production costs need to have strong incentive to work).

This disparity shrinks as the game goes on because other factors begin to affect the utility and power of military units. Buildings, UAs, wonders, policies, beliefs, etc. all affect the combat power of your units. Thus having a standardized spread of military CS/RCS change creates an imbalance of power for civs that prioritize technology over military infrastructure and veterancy for units.

The fact that the difference between units is 5 is irrelevant – It could be 200 or 70 or 10, and my design intent would remain the same. Late-game units should have decreased CS/RCS disparity to compensate for the value of training and promotions. Having the end result CS for units hover around 100 IS a design element that I chose precisely because the 0-100 scale is quite common in Civ, thus it is a easily-recognizable valuation of power. Compare this to, say, the fact that a Missionary is worth 1000 pressure. This number is difficult to judge without an understanding of how pressure is calculated.

G

1) I already accepted your design principle in my previous reply, the comment you quoted was meant to be a light hearted swipe at the end result which is multiples of 5

2) You are taking it too seriously by calling it an 'accusation', I only stated what is apparent on the surface.

3) The decreasing CS disparity is not the only factor, cost of production is another, what is the advantage of researching a tech if you get a slightly better unit, but also takes a lot longer to produce? in medium/weak production cities this could be a difference of 3+ turns which is huge near the endgame

4) A more important issue is the ranged ships one shoting each other

turn 20 cataphracts with 30% combat promotion, it's 26 strength
GG
I'm not sure about these guys though. They are very strong, to the point where they don't really take damage. The downsides (1 less movement and more hammers) are interesting, but I feel like the Horseman remains, overall, very strong.

I am in favour of a small buff to archers.

ok somehow multiples of 5 just happens to be perfectly balanced
So brave.

Top Bottom