1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Combating Wiki Spam

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by deanej, Feb 13, 2011.

1. deanej

deanej Deity

Does anyone know of good ways to combat wiki spam? The spam on the modiki has been increasing lately, and I've been removing it as it appears, but I'd like to do something to stop it from appearing in the first place. I've pm/emailed Thunderfall a couple times about installing some add-ons to prevent the spammers from posting but got no response. Is there anything I can do that I'm not already to combat spam? Now that the spammers have figured out how to create orphan pages and user accounts I don't know what to do - the protection strategy doesn't work anymore.

http://modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php/Special:ListGroupRights

Basically, if an Administrator can't do it, count it as a non-solution. Normally I wouldn't post about this here in this manner, but since I haven't gotten any response from Thunderfall and I'm getting fed up with deleting 50-100 pages every single day something needs to be done.

2. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

mmhh...is it not possible to establish IP bans via the mediawiki software?

I've also seen the increase in the last time. I'd suggest that you might maybe revoke the right to create pages for users, and that you create a new user group ("confirmed users" or whatever), in which you move all the currently valid users.

3. deanej

deanej Deity

Can do IP bans, but we have so many and I think they change each time.

Thunderfall put the ability to edit user rights in the Bureaucrat user group, of which only he is a member (unless someone else has access to the Admin account). Trust me, I would have shut off the ability of unregistered users to edit pages long ago if I had access (since at the time the spammers weren't creating accounts).

4. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Any way to track how often which IP appears?
    If not, then...okay...might be a bit radical, but temporary banning whole C class networks might help.

...er...crap.

5. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

@OP: Have you tried PMing Padma or ainwood? They might have the accesses needed.

6. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

On my wiki, when I did that, the bots just made 10000000000000000 users per day.

7. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I recommend physical violence against the spammers.

8. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

Hi deanj. I just sent you a PM. Please let me know if that helps.

Thanks for helping with the wiki.