1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Combining mods or aspects of mods

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by nik0tine, Jun 1, 2008.

1. nik0tine

nik0tine Chieftain

Hello. I have had an interest in modding civilization for quite some time now but i dont really know what i am doing. Is it possible to combine mods together? For example, I want to combine the 'carter earth' mod with the revolution mod so that I can play the revolution mod on a gigantic earth map. There are other things i'd like to know too but if someone can just help me out with this i'd really appreciate it. I might ask more questions later if i can get past this little stumbling block.

2. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

Well of course it's possible... people do it all the time. I've converted 34-civ maps to play with my own mod (Wolfshanze Mod) and others have taken my mod and merged it with Dales Combat Mod and other mods (Merged Mod).

Thing-is, it's usually best to become at least vaguely familiar with Civ4 XML and how to create a mod in the first place before trying to incorporate other mods together, but yes, it can certainly be done with a little patience and knowledge.

Also the "Earth Map Mods" so-to-speak are pretty-light on the "mod" aspect, as few are really less of mods and more of maps that require one or two minor tweaks (like a new DLL to play with more then 18 civs).

3. Rhuarc

Rhuarc Chieftain

The two mods I would like to see integrated are Dales Combat Mod, and Bhruics Unofficial Patch. Any idea how hard this would be? I wantt o know what I'm getting into it before I start trying!

4. Kalimakhus

Kalimakhus Emperor

Dale's mod already includes Bhruic patch 1.11. It wasn't updated to include the latest version however. Some mods combine Dale's Combat mod with the latest Bhruic patch like RevolutionDCM, Beginning and others.

5. Ninja2

Ninja2 Great Engineer

Did he do this with 1.5? 'Cause in 1.4, it was plain 3.13...

6. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

I've just accessed a new DLL that combines Bhruic's latest 1.21 mod with a 40-civ mod, so that's already done if folks want it.

7. EnlightenmentHK

EnlightenmentHK Emperor

I'm not terribly familiar with Dales Combat (or if I am, I don't know it), but I hear it talked up alot here. Anyone know of its potential capability to the military doctrine + stack-aid system that Total Realism uses?

8. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

Oops... never mind.

9. Kalimakhus

Kalimakhus Emperor

@EnlightenmentHK

Dale's Combat Mod (DCM), is a collection of mainly SDK modifications that modify the combat behavior of units. It started with Dale's Range\Field bombardment that was available for Warlords before. This well know component allows siege units to bombard enemy units and improvements in tiles within its range.

For BTS Dale added a number of components that he developed for The Road to War mod. These components include:

-Air-Units missions which defines more missions for Air Units allowing the player to choose bombarding specific types of buildings in the city with chance of destroying a building of this type if successful.
    -Stack Attack which resolves combat between two stacks of units based on the total number of units in each stack and on their composition. This includes Air-Units present in a city where a stack may be stationed in time of battle.
    -Opportunity Fire: Ranged units have a chance of hitting enemy units when moved within their range.
    -Archer Bombardment: Archery units can attack at range.
    -Battle Effects: Visual and sonic effects for battle fields.

I believe DCM can complement Total Realism quite well. Some components will fit in nicely namely Range Bombardment, Air Units Missions, and Archery Bombardment. Other components may not add much while their stability is questioned. Concerning TR doctrines it doesn't match or contradict with any DCM component. The Stack-Aid system of TR is replaced with the Stack Attack component though practically they can work together (there is no conflict on code level) though the effect would be redundant. IMO while Stack Attack is quite impressive when it works properly it is notorious for causing random CTDs. It also can be confusing for the player as the combat feedback doesn't help him in planning for battles on tactical level. Mostly you end up piling as many units as you can with the advantage of throwing a variety of units into the mix as this tend to get you better results. I think the stack-aid system is simpler so it is clear for the player what to expect and how to plan for his battles.

10. Aeravel

Aeravel Chieftain

Wolfshanze if you meant Lt. Bob's dll, in the readme it says:
    V4.0e 11-05-2007
    Uncludes Bhruic's unofficial patch v1.11
    Updated for latest version of Bhruic's patch
    (not the latest version 1.21)

It's not stable for me at all when running 3.13 and I'd really like to find a +18 dll merged with bhruic's actual latest patch.

I think all that would have to be done is recompiling the latest bhruic patch with the 18 civs changed to 40. I'd tried to do it myself..but I have no experience with C++. The line changed is explained in the thread below. Also dlls for over 18 civs are found there.
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=192620
    I'm wondering what are you using for +18 civs with your mod Wolfshanze?