1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Comfirmed FIX for Crashes and Reboots! (ATI Cards)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by vodkamattvt, Nov 3, 2005.

1. VirtualCLD

VirtualCLD Chieftain

I would like to add a quick update. I started a new game on a standard map and I think that was my big problem. With the Cat 4.12 drivers and Anti-Aliasing turned to 0, the game runs smoothly. I think there was just a problem with playing tmy old saved game. The next step will be to play on a huge map and see if it's still smooth with faster load times and little lag. Thanks so much for the help vodkamattvt, you're a godsend!!

2. FullyCompletely

FullyCompletely Cheftain. i just cook.

So to the point, if someone is using an All-in-wonder, using catalyst 4.12, there's no way to watch TV without getting the newest version of catalyst and screwing up civ again? There's no way to update just the TV component?

3. Dease

Dease Be Original

This fix worked for me :goodjob:
    My specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 3400+
    1GB Corsair RAM
    ATI 9800pro 128MB
    Win XP SP2

I had been getting stuttery wonder videos and extremely frequent system reboots, one time loosing a school project. Everything works now, the game runs like silk with all settings maxed.
    The whole 'ATI latest drivers' thread should be replaced by this fix ;)

4. Lucky The Fox

Lucky The Fox Prince

Well I'll be damned. Setting AGP to 0 really made the problem with disappearing leaderheads and unusable globe view go away. Unfortunately wonder movies still stutter and everything gets jerky eventually. I'll try to install those drivers next.

5. GIDustin

GIDustin Emperor

I am one of those who uses an x### card and I still had crashes with civ4 with the latest drivers.

Just downloaded 4.12 and will give this a go later tonight. Will post my results, but it seems as if I will just be repeating many other people. :)

6. vodkamattvt

vodkamattvt Chieftain

Yes, sorry for naming this thread deceptively. It should read for ATI users only. If a mod can change it that would be great.

As for TV working ... I tested TV after installing and it seemed to work ok. I had video and audio from cable. I never touched the latest ATI multimedia install, just uninstalled the control center and drivers and then installed 4.12. I have a 9700 Pro AIW.

Like I said, these drivers are from around a year or so ago, so support for newer ATI chipsets may be dodgy. For the 9700/9800 and similar cards, 4.12s seem to be the fastest and most stable drivers I have found.

7. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Does it fix the "black terrain" issue too? I have a Mobility Radeon 7500 card (laptop).

8. mephistoex

mephistoex Chieftain

Ok just had a nice multiplayer action going, we had like 6 players and rest computers. 18 players in total. Heh, and I WON!.. By points victory on 2050ad. Oh well no CTDs at all, and my first online game, spreat Judaism like hell, created prophet and had some +13 gold with 100% research.

:king:

9. kazin9

kazin9 Chieftain

This worked for me!

vodkamattvt, you sir, win many internets.

May thousands of Al Gore-faced world projects bless your glorious future. :)

10. the oob

the oob Retired PTBS host

Using the Catalyst 4.12 drivers and setting my AGP to 0 (on a Radeon 9700) worked, mucho thanks to vodkamattvt and bart_pl. It could have just been the AGP that did it though (that was the second thing I tried, the drivers on their own had no effect), so if no one has done so already, someone should try that on its own, I'm sure many of us would rather use newer drivers if it works just as well. Note that I didn't update my motherboard chipset.

BTW, when I say 'worked' I mean I no longer have the frequent crashes that I used to have (especially in diplomacy, but at other times as well), I do however still have the stuttering problem during wonder movies, so I'll have to try some of the solutions for that which I've seen. As for the crashing, I think larger maps have more of a problem that smaller maps, my last game was on the 3rd-to-largest size and had less problems that my current game which is on the 2nd-to-largest size.

11. aquavit

aquavit Chieftain

Must the Anti-Aliasing and AGP be set to 0 for the 4.12 drivers to work? I see people mentioning that they have done one or the other. I didn't change either one of those and the 4.12 still led to crashes.

12. Lucky The Fox

Lucky The Fox Prince

4.12 made things slightly smoother, but it's still pretty jerky. Also, info boxes stop appearing once in a while which is fairly annoying.

13. makoto916

makoto916 Chieftain

Unfortunately it doesn't seem that the Catalyst 4.12 drivers include support for the Radeon 345 IGP. So this suggestion won't work for those of us who have this chipset in our laptops or embedded motherboards.

14. HermS

HermS Chieftain

This fix worked for my X850 XT PCI-E, but it's far from ideal because there are fixes in later drivers that I need for other games.

15. jake sibley

jake sibley Chieftain

I reverted back to 4.12 and got the failed to int. thing :( , so I had to revert back to the new drivers and face the crashful hell.

16. jobijo

jobijo Chieftain

how do you set your AGP to zero, I have a RADEON9550??? would like to try this first before uninstalling and reinstalling those damn drivers, had enough fun with that last night:eek:

17. Akaz1976

Akaz1976 Chieftain

I have a 9800PRO and this fix (4.12 drivers and setting AGP to 0 in Smartgrat) corrected my random reboot problem.

I had already set my settings all the way down to fix my slow down issues so now my games run fine for hours on standard map setting.

I have not turned the wonder videos or unit animations back on yet nor have i tried trading maps (which use to cause immense slow downs).

But none the less i can atleast play the game now without rebooting every 15 min.

Thanks for heads up on this man!

Akaz

18. oldStatesman

oldStatesman Cybernaut

Great Work! Thanks! :goodjob:

But I'll pass and wait for the patch that allows the current drivers to work.

I have other programs that are optimized with the 5.10 release...and don't feel like re-tweaking everything just to get the game to run.

19. Jeff3F

Jeff3F Chieftain

Since I'm using an even older 8500DV, I jumped at the chance to put older drivers into play. Unfortunately, it worked only part-way. While my repeatable crashes were solved, gameplay was very very slow. And I got a system-killing bug before I got too far.

I went the other way (found leaked 5.11 cats on an omega DL mirror) and got the same relief from repeatable crashes, only with better performance. Still had the random system crash after a few minutes though.

Something that game does is too aggressive--they need to make it more systems friendly, instead of fiendly.

20. Tokio

Tokio Chieftain

Someone on Apolyton had the same problem as you and used this Pak Utility and now it works fine for him with the 4.12. Maybe you should try that.

Here is the thread from Apolyton.

Apo

Hope it helps! :)