1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Comings, Goings and New Arrivals IV

Discussion in 'Picture Threads Archive' started by Abaddon, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shekwan

Shekwan Kim Chi Quaffing Celt

I meant in general you're more likely to get into a fight in the Gold Goast.

You're probably right about using the colonial name in Ghana.

Although I don't think how modern a country is has anything to do with how likely people are to to be touchy about their history. I would probably get into a fight here if I insisted to people that Ireland is in the British Isles.

2. Yared

Yared That Guy

Yeah...

3. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Keep in mind that half the Australian population is drunk at any given time.

4. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

I don't think the majority of Australians could even point to Ghana on a map, let alone know or even care what it was called prior to it being Ghana. Honestly, this is like the Americans declaring that we should all be sensitive to their peculiar little racial hang-ups. I'm all for outlawing Morris Dancing but not because some of them paint their faces black. Besides, I don't see the Ghanese-Australian population lynching people every-time they utter the words: Gold Coast. I wouldn't expect them to and I don't see why you would expect them to. For amusement value I pretty often mangle the names of various South East Asian countries: Indonesia gets called the Nederlands-Indië, Malaysia keeps getting called the Union of Malaya and for delicious irony I like to refer Myanmar as Karenistan. Doubtless this pisses off the nationalists I do it to but even they don't feel the need to beat me up for it. (They've taken to calling New Zealand Aotearoa even if they haven't quite figured out that's a compliment).

5. Millman

Millman Mark the Magnificent

I'm that random gamer you love to hate. In and out.

6. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

Hey, how's it going! Welcome to the addiction :twitch:

7. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

Not everyone is addicted. Some just like the game and do have other lives.:newyear:

8. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Hi. Have you received your welcome basket yet?

Don't mind the crazies and have a good time!

9. mythmonster2

mythmonster2 BEC NOIR! RUN!

Welcome to CFC! :wavey:

10. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Son of Huehuecoyotl

Welcome to CFC! I hope you have a good time here!

In terms of OT, so long as you don't vocally disagree with the majority on too many political issues, you should not face any injury to your person.

..but. Have fun regardless! :)

11. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Moderator Action: AronPP's thread merged into the old standby....

12. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

Jus saying I am still alive, only a few weeks left in NZ!

Someone else can re-start this thread.. i'm too busy Zorbing etc!

13. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

I didn't want to be minded anyway.

14. aelf

aelf Ashen One

Myanmar should be called Kamboja, as it is in some parts of the world, in memory of the mighty Scythian warriors.

15. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

Zorbing :ack: I was a bit worried when they told me I'll have to wear a neck brace for that....was fun, though :)

16. Yared

Yared That Guy

Welcome Aron.

17. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

I am back and I think that I need a vacation to get over that one. :D I found the Gold Coast interesting to be at. The Theme Parks were well worth going to, especially Dreamworld, It was fun doing the Giant Drop. I had to tell my cousin that I did that ride, since he and his wie were too scared to go on int.

18. WildFire

WildFire amour

Going to Michigan for my cousins wedding!

19. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

I am stuck in an airport for 16 hours waiting for my connecting flight!

WeeeEEeee, at least soon (36 hours?) I'll be home and with Lizzie :groucho:

20. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Rational Spiritualist

The CFC system says my last visit was Sep 12, 2002 at 02:51PM. The system also tells me, "... it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks." Uh, yup, you could say that. I may have just put the HI in HIatus. But I'm very glad to see Civ Fanatics is still up and running at all, much less still going strong.

Took me a while to find the current comings/goings thread here (wasn't sure one still existed), which is esp. amusing to me since I started a similar thread "back in the day" (or perhaps "early morning" on that "day") when this was a new idea: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=3199

Just wanted to drop a quick shout out here to the old guard that I actually am still alive, still in relatively good health, still working, and still playing Civ (which is somehow still my favorite). From time to time, I still think of y'all, as evidenced by any return at all.

Since it would take more than anyone wants to read to catch-up on the last 2,810 days, here's the summary ...

Since my last visit, I:
    • got divorced and remarried (I consider it a significant upgrade)
    • moved twice (apts) in the same town, and am about to do so again (house)
    • had a 3rd child 4-months ago, to add to the 13 & 10-yr-olds (all water-births)
    • changed jobs only once, but changed companies twice :) (like, who hasn't experienced that?)
    • have not left the USA, but am about to do so again (visiting wife's family)
    • got 1 cell phone, back when I think there were still "cells" (5 yrs ago), which I still use
    • got cable (watching the 2006 Winter Olympics in a dense apt building on rabbit ears, where there was more snow in the signal than in the content, just wasn't cutting it)
    • built my own PC (that was exciting)
    • received a Wii (from my brother to my kids; but I'm not sending it to the ex's house!)
    • mysteriously got into board games (love BoardGameGeek.com for those who also like to play offline)
    • saw the end of the Harry Potter series :cry: (but celebrated it in costume)
    • discovered "Good Eats", the best education in food a nerd could have (thanks, Alton Brown!)
    • still can't resist the parenthetical expression
    • witnessed and participated in the same world/social/tech history you did in the last 7 years, 8 months, ~11 days (Can you believe browsers have TABS now? Plus, I'm currently diggin' the Pac-Man Google tribute.)
    ... at least that's the major stuff I can think of.

Anyway, so if you remember when we used to hang here together, or otherwise want to say Hi, feel free to PM me if so inclined so we keep it out of the forums. Unfortunately, I have much less free time than I did when I was very active here, but since my Civ leanings haven't abated after all this time, I'll also try not to disappear for years at a stretch.

Peace, all!
    Spiff :scan:

P.S. - There's something about this place that never leaves some of us and we feel drawn back here. It's probably the same thing that keeps CFC going. I truly wonder what that is. Whatever it is, "Good job, TF."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.