1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Communal vs Minimal

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by mazzz, May 12, 2007.

1. mazzz

mazzz Emperor

In all my years of civ3, I never used a communal government. Can someone tell me when a communal corruption system is better\worse than a minimal one?

2. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

This probably belongs on the Quick Answer thread but anyway...

A communal works best when you have a large, but not enormous. number of big powerful cities. I believe that the optimal number is about 120 but I certainly am not sure.

Minimal government works best with a strong core and hundreds of tiny cities out in the boonies.

3. DBear

DBear unbeliever

There's really no point in switching to Democracy from Republic, tho. The reduction in corruption going from nuisance to minimal is more than offset by the increased maintenance costs.

4. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

As someone who has used Communism frequently in the past, it's mostly useful for AW where a Republic would have severe WW issues. It gives tremendous unit support, and with lotsa courthouses and police stations, the corruption is not bad. It's also nice that captured cities become productive much faster. Even with a hundred cities, the outlying cities are still productive enough to be useful. Best for huge empires. Oh, and the SPHQ gives you a third core if put far away from the Palace and FP. Like on a captured city on another continent.

5. A Revolutionary

A Revolutionary Beating the Drums

The point of a communal government is so that all your frontier cities don't have to rely on the core for pretty much everything. However it also reduces the effectiveness of the core cities.

6. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

Communism is Civ 3 is awesome. If you have a huge empire, it's the best.

7. A Revolutionary

A Revolutionary Beating the Drums

That's why I like it. As well as the reason I stated above.

8. btfx

btfx Prince

In my best payed game I would only let a city build units if it was fully developed (temple, courthouse, police station, stock exchange, library, factory, barracks, hospital, harbor, and comm docks). So my core was still the only ones producing, but I actually used the draft to get a huge conscript army. Whenever I had an "extra" citizen, (Scientist/tax man) I would draft. I had enough men to build a wall across the huge pangea world, and stop any war I didn't want to continue. I could also exert pressure on an enemy without fighting them by filling their territory with my units. Communism owns.

9. Nitfan

Nitfan Warlord

@Overseer - Communism will not give you a 3rd core, just a third city with zero corruption (with CH and PS). City position has no effect on corruption in communism. The only thing that effects corruption in all non palace/FP/SPHQ cities is the total number of cities you have and map size. That is why as Abegweit stated you want to have big powerful cities, because everyone you add increases the corruption of every city.