1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Communitu_79

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Map Scripts' started by tu_79, Aug 12, 2019.

1. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

What you see is what there is. You may modify sizes safely, but be careful about 60 tiles width, the code for the rifts changes.

2. Pill

Pill Chieftain

+1 to a forced pangaea option.

I think with the current slightly-lowered Normal scattering and turning OFF the circumnavigation path, it's been making nice interestingly-shaped thicc 1-2 continents so maybe try that out.

3. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Maybe set just one ocean rift. The forced water might compress landmasses. But you won't be able to use ships other than in that ocean, since the poles are navigable no longer. Not balanced in my opinion.

Pill likes this.
  4. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

yup!

5. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Ok well maybe one hiccup. Ok, so another game with strategic balance on where I've taken half of a major landmass, and not one drop of coal. This is anecdotal of course (one man's opinion and all that), but coal has been awfully scarce in basically every game I've done on this version.

Also people mention strategic balance doesn't affect coal/oil. Is that the case normally or just not on this mapscript?

6. azum4roll

azum4roll Emperor

Vanilla strategic balance = guaranteed iron, horse, oil 1-3 tiles around start
    Communitu_79a strategic balance = guaranteed iron and horse 4-6 tiles around start

Coal is supposed to be scarce since you only need 2 copies for each city and refineries exist. In average each player gets 7 coal from the map.

7. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Oh! And we placed most coal deposits on scattered islands, so naval civs have another reason to settle island cities.

EDIT. Maybe if your map options prevents islands from forming, it could lead to a low coal in map. As azum4roll said, coal is set to provide 7 units per civ. Trade. Find City States with coal. Settle on islands. Or take Statecraft.

8. Balls of Steel Baby

Balls of Steel Baby Chieftain

While exploring the code I've found

Spoiler :
    elseif oTemp == 3 then
    print("Map Temp: Hot")
    mglobal.tropicLatitudes = modifyOdds(mglobal.tropicLatitudes / mglobal.topLatitude, 1.5) * mglobal.topLatitude
    mglobal.horseLatitudes = modifyOdds(mglobal.horseLatitudes / mglobal.topLatitude, 1.5) * mglobal.topLatitude
    mglobal.iceLatitude = modifyOdds(mglobal.iceLatitude / mglobal.topLatitude, 1.5) * mglobal.topLatitude
    mglobal.polarFrontLatitude = modifyOdds(mglobal.polarFrontLatitude / mglobal.topLatitude, 1.5) * mglobal.topLatitude
    mglobal.tundraTemperature = modifyOdds(mglobal.tundraTemperature, 0.8)
    mglobal.snowTemperature = modifyOdds(mglobal.tundraTemperature, 0.8)

Should it be like that?

9. Balls of Steel Baby

How did you manage to remove ice near top border? (first screen)

10. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

I just removed the code that created a forced line of ice, then a line of sea. And let the climate logic do everything.
    By the way, I'm not sure if the piece of code that you found is a bug, azum4roll changed that part, but probably it's a typo only to show in hot maps.

11. Balls of Steel Baby

Well, the difference between the numbers would be barely noticeable anyway.

I may have found these lines, but I didn’t check them. Do you remember where were they approx?

12. azum4roll

azum4roll Emperor

Likely just a typo. You can change that to snowTemperature.

13. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

No, sorry.

You can take a look at the main script where all subroutines are called, and look for the one that creates biomes and rifts.

14. Balls of Steel Baby

I have found it indeed and the ice sheet is out of the way.

About the forced line of sea, I've found this function:

Spoiler :
    function CreateArcticOceans()
    local mapW, mapH = Map.GetGridSize()
    CreateOceanRift{y = 0, direction = mg.E, totalSize = 1, oceanSize = 1, fill = true}
    CreateOceanRift{y = mapH-1, direction = mg.E, totalSize = 1, oceanSize = 1, fill = true}
    end

Now, commenting the bolded line does allow forming land on top, but I'm not sure about this solution. Could you confirm it, please, if you recall?

15. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

I think I just commented out or removed the call to this routine. You may call it again, but may conflict with my ice forming function. Not sure about that last thing.

Edit. Heck, I did a ton work just because I disliked that arctic rift.

16. Balls of Steel Baby

After a solid amount of finetuning and testing I'm content with the result. Oddly enough, after deleting forced ice and sea on the north pole, there appeared much more snow tiles, south and north alike, something like 1/3 or even half of the tundra. I had to up polar front to as much as 100. I can be wrong, but it seems it works the other way around than iceLatitude, ie. allowing tundra and snow further the bigger the number is. I didn't check the function for it tho

Anyway, thank you guys for this amazing script :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    tu_79 likes this.
  17. Balls of Steel Baby

btw. i got this random near-earth map while testing (well near-earth to me anyway) :c5gold:

Spoiler :
    Near earth small map.jpg

I think South America was bigger, but apparently got crossed by a magellan

EDIT:
    Script's Rebalanced resource placement does not work with mod "Culturally Linked Start Locations"

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    tu_79 likes this.
  18. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Do you have any idea of what might be causing the conflict? Vanilla resource placement works fine?

19. Balls of Steel Baby

It wasn't this mod (or not only this). I'm now investigating the matter.

20. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

If I wanted to get a "some main continents, but a lot of smaller islands" kind of vibe, is there a set of settings I can use that does that?