Communitu_79

Sounds like an error! Can you put your Lua.log here?
Not sure how the lua.log works. I have only one file and I am currently playing a game without any bug rn (turn 125)...
Do you want a lua.log from a not working properly game?

Sorry, I really can't get it to happen using the exact same settings. Everything works fine for me. Maybe try deleting cache?

I'll give it a try! Uh...what folder is that? :mischief:

Edit: silly me, I found it.

Edit 2: clearing cache didn't help. Going to try to uninstall/reinstall.

Edit 3: that worked! So strange.

Last edited:
Not sure how the lua.log works. I have only one file and I am currently playing a game without any bug rn (turn 125)...
Do you want a lua.log from a not working properly game?
Try generating a new map that doesn't work, then upload the log here.

Try generating a new map that doesn't work, then upload the log here.
Here you go. It was pretty easy, just had to launch a new game with the "assignplots" setting on. Cheers.

Attachments

• Lua game w bug.7z
    15.4 KB · Views: 127
Well, you're the second person to trigger that which I can't replicate at all.

Can you try with this version of AssignStartingPlots? Replace the one in mod 6a LUA folder.

I've played a few games now with the map version on the current beta, set for blocky continents. The majority of civs start on what's effecrively their own continent. This creates a sameness to the early game, since there's rarely serious conflict. In my last game (Emperor) Carthage had its own island, engaged in one war (late game, vs 2 civs, who only attacked allied CS) the entire game. My cities had an archer promoted all the way to crossbows, then replaced by promoted Gatling guns. No other land units the entire game, and none needed.

My suggestion is that you rebalance the continent sizes, or at least provide an "extra-blocky" to balance out the offerings.

Both continent size and continent amount are out of control since they're generated by Perlin Noise (same as PerfectWorld3, I don't know which one came first). The only way to (unreliably) lower the amount of continents is to lower the scatter values. You can try 0.001, 0.001 and 0 (landMinScatter, landMaxScatter and coastScatter) for the ultimate blocky experience. Note that this also reduces the amount of lakes though. (For Communitas, lakes are just small inland seas)

Next version (v2.1.0, to be released with the next VP version) will have blocky be really blocky and stringy be really stringy. The normal option will be around the same as the current blocky option.

Both continent size and continent amount are out of control since they're generated by Perlin Noise (same as PerfectWorld3, I don't know which one came first). The only way to (unreliably) lower the amount of continents is to lower the scatter values. You can try 0.001, 0.001 and 0 (landMinScatter, landMaxScatter and coastScatter) for the ultimate blocky experience. Note that this also reduces the amount of lakes though. (For Communitas, lakes are just small inland seas)

Next version (v2.1.0, to be released with the next VP version) will have blocky be really blocky and stringy be really stringy. The normal option will be around the same as the current blocky option.

Sounds good. I'll wait for 2.1, then, which I assue will be the one included in the next VP patch. The odd thing for me is that I don't recall Communitas being as "stringy." Yet based on what you're saying, it sounds like it works the same way as Communitu.

Last edited:
For some odd reason, I'm only getting two Continent art styles regardless of settings. It's always Asia or Africa, never Europe or Americas. Anyone know how to change this?

Last edited:
I was playing an Emperor standard size Terra start and i had complete dominance on the original continent (7/8 capitals 29 cities total) yet there was not a single coal tile inside my boarders both my own settled cities (Capital on tundra with forests) and the 22 cities i conquered when i discovered industrialization ..... not even within CS borders; I thought there was something wrong on my end may be a graphical bug so i used IGE to reveal the map & resources and yet no Coal in the original continent at all besides literally 2 tiles with 2 coal each and the rest of 77 coal that spawned in the map was on the other side of the ocean and i'm glad that i managed to complete the domination in the early industrial because there is no way i would go across the ocean to settle a city to get a couple of coal tiles.
I double checked the resource distribution settings and there was nothing checked to be scarce.... it would be great to make the late game resource distribution a bit more even.
Spoiler Coal? :
CivilizationV_DX11 2020-10-12 00-17-00-250.jpg

Which version is it? It's random and can't be controlled which continent it spawns on.

The version shipped with VP.
Another question if i might ask, is it possible to add a third option to the landmass formation to be more of a Pangea type map with one big landmass and a few islands in the ocean? I really like the Terra map option so far but a few issues with the 2nd continent makes the overall experience less enjoyable like sometimes being literally one water tile away from the main continent despite setting the options to be medium width rift and normal sea level with 2 oceans.

The version shipped with VP.
Another question if i might ask, is it possible to add a third option to the landmass formation to be more of a Pangea type map with one big landmass and a few islands in the ocean? I really like the Terra map option so far but a few issues with the 2nd continent makes the overall experience less enjoyable like sometimes being literally one water tile away from the main continent despite setting the options to be medium width rift and normal sea level with 2 oceans.
Landmass formation (and elevation of each plot) is purely randomized via Perlin noise. There's no control over the number of landmasses.

Can you try Terra with Blocky and 2 rifts in the latest version?

The balance of strategics (coal, especially) should really be addressed if this map is to be the standard going forward for VP. While I appreciate when strategic resources are critical and often require strategic decisions to go about acquiring them, the AI is not currently capable of recognizing the urgency around those decisions. I've played numerous games where leading AI's are handicapped into irrelevance just because they don't have coal.

I've been checking the resource amounts on turn 1 (in the monopoly page) and reloading whenever there are very peculiar resource amounts - which seem to occur frequently with this mapscript. I know it was mentioned before that the randomness is inherent to the game and not the mapscript, but I'm not quite convinced on that.

For now, I think strategic balance needs to give a coal node within range of every starting position.

My other main balance concern is that due to the randomness of landmasses, it very commonly results in players on their own landmass or with one other player. I observe that with 8 players, for example a 5-2-1 or similar distribution is more common than 4-4 or 5-3. This actually led to me playing large maps with 12 players to make this less common.

Are there any options/tweaks that are recommended to avoid landmasses with 1 or 2 players while keeping the "continents" theme (vs terra)? I personally think this is critical to having more consistent, competitive games, and should be an objective for the default VP mapscript.

My other main balance concern is that due to the randomness of landmasses, it very commonly results in players on their own landmass or with one other player. I observe that with 8 players, for example a 5-2-1 or similar distribution is more common than 4-4 or 5-3. This actually led to me playing large maps with 12 players to make this less common.

Are there any options/tweaks that are recommended to avoid landmasses with 1 or 2 players while keeping the "continents" theme (vs terra)? I personally think this is critical to having more consistent, competitive games, and should be an objective for the default VP mapscript.
As long as the "1" isn't separated from all the others by deep ocean it's fine. I tried to look for a way to label pacific islands as "not inhabitable", but it's not easy.

I didn't have as bad as the coal situation. But in a recent game, the only aluminium on the map was near a city-state (but not in their border so it can't be improved), and on the other continent. Aluminium isn't as vital as coal, but was still very annoying.

Okay I posted in the quick questions thread but the problems with no ancient ruins appearing only happens on the communitu map. Any Idea what might be causing it?

It only happens when I have the "override assignstartingplots" turned on. I found the lua.log but it is empty.

Last edited:
Okay I posted in the quick questions thread but the problems with no ancient ruins appearing only happens on the communitu map. Any Idea what might be causing it?

It only happens when I have the "override assignstartingplots" turned on. I found the lua.log but it is empty.
Likely a mod conflict. What mods are you using?

Top Bottom