1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Communitu_79

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Map Scripts' started by tu_79, Aug 12, 2019.

1. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Depending on how populated your continent is, you can place 3-7 cities before clashing.

Gampela likes this.
  2. swapoer

swapoer Warlord

For newcomer, can you give a brief introduction of Communitas?
    I seem to me this map script is quite random.
    In one of my recent game, I have one nation in one continent, the other 6 in one big continent, and several CS in a island chains.

3. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Well, let's see.

Communitas makes a quite random elevation map, using the percolate method, which gives believable forms. It then throws a line of water at the poles and cut the map vertically with two ocean deep lines, with sinusoidal shapes. The randomness of the elevation can be modified at different frequencies, some affecting the squizziness of the continents, some altering the straightness of the coast line.

The place where these ocean ocean rifts are located is decided based on the local height, as if trying to cut where there's less land. Due to the randomness, the oceans don't divide landmasses with the same amount of land. The more common outcome is one side with 65% of the land, the other with 35%. These land masses may or may not be a single continent. Sometimes they are quite a few big islands.

In addition to this, I made two major changes. I changed how the ice was separated from the land that formed a canal between the land and the ice. I allowed the ice to reach the land, and azum4roll helped solving a few issues with this, so now you can't pass from one ocean to another by the poles. The other change was the addition of a horizontal strip of shallow water. Sometimes you can see where it cuts, sometimes it's seemless. Another thing I changed is the sinusoidal lines. Now they don't follow a function, but rather adapt to the altitudes ahead.

The result of all this is usually a big continent in one side, touching south or north pole but not both, and two smaller continents in the other side reachable by sea, with a few islands along the ocean lines. In the Atlantic, you find islands near the poles and the gap is wide, whilst in the Pacific it is the opposite.

Climate is based on a geostrophic model, so the shape and location of the land masses determines the location of biomes. It wildly varies from one map to another (given the randomness of the elevation map), but it is easy to find them all, even some snow.

In all, it is a highly replayable map that tends to create one big continent where most civs start and a couple of smaller continents in the other side of the oceans, with some small islands in between.

saamohod, Gampela and swapoer like this.
  4. saamohod

saamohod Prince

What about resources? Last time I tested this script it gave too much certain strategic resources (coal if I remember correctly).

5. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Well, azum4roll discovered that resource allocation was duplicated by some mods inside Vox Populi, and he created an option to completely ignore resource allocation by the script (which forces the script to be used along VP, by the way). Use that option and Communitu_79a will behave just like any vanilla map in this regard.
    Using custom resources might produce still a little too much of them. Or not. Azum4roll might know better.
    I want to play with it a little more before attempting more tweaks.

saamohod likes this.
  6. saamohod

saamohod Prince

My apologies. By saying "last time I tested this script" I definitely meant original Communitas a year back. I didn't realize this thread is dedicated to a mapscript modified by you.

7. azum4roll

azum4roll King

I made all resource spawns follow the terrains specified in the VP civilopedia, with a couple of additions (horses and wheat on fresh water desert tiles). This has the side effect of making a specific strategic resource scarce in some map settings and common in another, e.g. horses and aluminum are rare in wet maps because they only spawn on featureless tiles, while oil is relatively common due to all the jungle and marsh. The resource amount should be balanced with default settings.

Another major change of this over Communitas is the removal of the 1-2 tile island chain along the pacific ocean.

saamohod likes this.
  8. Yaviel

Yaviel Chieftain

What are the differences between the latest Planet Simulator and this map script? PS seems very impressive but I'd still like to give communitas another shot.

9. azum4roll

azum4roll King

At least one of the differences is that Planet Sim usually makes a very long mountain chain that can span a whole continent but Communitas breaks mountain chains to create passes.

swapoer likes this.
  10. ridjack

ridjack King

This situation has been happening a lot and it's become quite frustrating:

Spoiler :

No matter what else is on that coastline, my capital would never be able to be connected by sea trade route because of that one piece of ice, unless I spent a couple turns relocating, of course.

This wouldn't bother me, except it's happened in probably 5 of my last 7 games. (Playing some civs biased to the poles.)

11. saamohod

saamohod Prince

My only gripe with PS seems to be its propensity to create one-tile islands and inaccessible sea natural wonders. Once I even discovered the two tiles of the Great Barrier Reef in the open ocean with no land in sight.
    Other than that, PS is an amazing map script and often generates amazing land patterns.
    I'm gonna give a try to this version of Communitas though. It used to be my favorite map script some time ago.

swapoer likes this.
  12. saamohod

saamohod Prince

What mod is this ?

13. Yaviel

Yaviel Chieftain

CTD either on 1st AI turn or within the next few turns. I used the newest v1.13 and think it is your map script because normal maps work just fine. The error I'm getting:

[447679.968] no such column: Type
    [447679.968] In Query - select * from Natural_Wonder_Placement where Type = ? LIMIT 1
    On my last game with PS I had 2 natural wonders in my surroundings and they were both nicely workable.
    Wonder Planner

saamohod likes this.
  14. saamohod

saamohod Prince

I mean, Natural Wonders don't spawn unreachable in PS all the time. Only the sea natural wonders, and not always. But pretty often to be annoying.

15. azum4roll

azum4roll King

Check for mod conflicts. The map is pure LUA but you're getting SQL error.

16. ridjack

ridjack King

Something I found while playing as the Inuit custom civ:

Spoiler :

Would be literally inaccessible to anyone if I weren't playing a civ that can walk on ice.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  17. saamohod

saamohod Prince

This was my issue with the Planet Simulator. I wish there was a way of stopping it happening in Comminitu. One-tile mountain islands.

20191020205754_1.jpg

18. General_Drax

General_Drax Warlord

I recently installed Reseed to test the map generation. Sadly after my current playthrough.

Since i'm playing VP only I'd like to find on first page of this thread your advised settings and a direct link to the latest script version and installing instructions (like place in folder xyz, need or not need to install) for VP and eventually for Civ 5 resource wise.

Last playthrough with this script left me on a continent alone with 0 coal and 0 alluminum. I'd like the option 'Strategic balance' if possible.

These are QoL improvements: all informations can be found through forum scavenging.

Thank you !

19. ridjack

ridjack King

Having just finished another game with this map, I'm sadly going to have to abandon it for Tectonics again. Strategic resources continue to be a major pain in the backside. This most recent game was 15 cities entirely in tundra, which is supposed to be strategic-rich, but I ended up starved for almost everything. I was able to maintain a decent navy, but I was also the only one who could. Everyone I went up against with my Ironclads and Cruisers was stuck on Corvettes and Frigates and thus never stood a chance. Horses were extremely scarce; I never got a single one, and others didn't have much. I got literally ZERO Uranium.

These late-game strategics are too important for them to be so scarce. Iron in particular is unworkable at these quantities; you simply lose if you can't secure a decent quantity before Ironclads come online.

I really like this map, like a lot. The layouts are fantastic. I just can't deal with strategic resource starvation on this scale.

EDIT: Somehow never thought to play with the 'Resources' setting before throwing my hands up. Guess I'll give that a go and see what happens.

@General_Drax There IS a 'Strategic Balance' setting.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  20. General_Drax

General_Drax Warlord

Yes, ridajck, i tried that but was starving coal and aluminum. I'll try reseed for a dozen time before going for a playthrough to test resource generation.