Communitu_79

It can happen at the east/west border, but not noticeable in vanilla maps because the border is always filled with ocean tiles in those.

Tu, I was curious where this project stands now. Do you feel the map is in a "strong place...just a few more tweaks" or are you still planning any big changes?

I was considering giving it a shot and wanted to know how stable it was.

I'd say it's stable now. Give it a try!

Tu, I was curious where this project stands now. Do you feel the map is in a "strong place...just a few more tweaks" or are you still planning any big changes?

I was considering giving it a shot and wanted to know how stable it was.
I have one more change in mind, but it's minor. I want to set the second ocean rift to be somewhere around 40% of the world landmass, so both continents are similar in size. It's not really difficult to do, but I had to unistall the game, and now I want to complete another game before I reinstall Civ V. You know how hard it is to play other games when VP is calling you for testing new stuff.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the map script. I would still reduce a bit the amount of strategics, just for myself. I think scarce should be really scarce, while normal should be scarce. I see no point in playing with abundant resources, since normal looks abundant to me.

Maybe some canals could have some work, but that's outside my abilities.

We can change scarce/abundant to affect the amount of strategic deposits instead of the amount of strategics in each deposit. And make a "Very Scarce" option too.

That said, I think I'll still reduce Normal strategics amount for a bit now that we have a working Strategic Balance option. And move Strategic Balance and Legendary Start to separate options (so you can have Very Scarce + Strategic Balance + Legendary Start if you want), if the game allows this many options.

So, a few real game playtesting (actually just two) show that iron, coal, horses and aluminum amounts can be too low (40-ish in a Standard map) in certain settings. I'll probably bump them up a bit in the next version. Also expect map options overhaul, if it's possible to code.

I wonder if it would be possible to exclude starting locations like this one:

Spoiler :
20200128220017_1.jpg

There is no way a human can pull off this kind of start at any decent difficulty, let alone AI.

This AI Germany is 100% doomed:

Spoiler :
20200128221043_1.jpg

Hopeless tundra starts are the main reason I don't play Communitu mapscript as often as I'd like to. It's a shame because in many other regards this mapscript is more polished than any other.

Last edited:
Now get @CrazyG to play this scenario. He'll probably just does as well.

Jokes aside, have you tried Ctrl+Z to view the map with resources? Maybe it isn't that bad after all. It's very likely that 2-3 fish appear near Berlin and around the island that Poland is on, and deer are very common in tundra forest. They'll both lack horses (tiles) but will not have troubles finding iron, coal, oil, aluminum and uranium.

Would it be ok for you to make this the official v1.14? I like this more than Communitas, so I edited this map to be compatible with Even More Resources instead of regular Communitas. It will work perfectly fine even if you don't have the mod however. Resource placement is unaltered if you do not have the mod.

Aside from that, I fixed a bug: previously the option to disable the Communitu_79 resource placement does not work.

Spoiler :
Moved all the AssignStartingPlots functions into the MapGlobals:New function.

Also, minor new feature: option to force coastal starts for all civs. This is a feature I liked from the Tectonic map script, and it was quite easy to add (option disabled by default).

Attachments

• Communitu_79a - 1.14.zip
    77.6 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Would it be ok for you to make this the official v1.14? I like this more than Communitas, so I edited this map to be compatible with Even More Resources instead of regular Communitas. It will work perfectly fine even if you don't have the mod however. Resource placement is unaltered if you do not have the mod.

Aside from that, I fixed a bug: previously the option to disable the Communitu_79 resource placement does not work.

Spoiler :
Moved all the AssignStartingPlots functions into the MapGlobals:New function.

Also, minor new feature: option to force coastal starts for all civs. This is a feature I liked from the Tectonic map script, and it was quite easy to add (option disabled by default).
Good changes.
Has anyone tested it already?

I've been playing Terra starts on your map for 4 games (1.13), which is my first experience with the map script.

Overall I quite like it. I found that with low sea levels I had enough space in the main continent that it didn't feel like a "war or die" scenario, but still plenty of ocean to work with. I really like the complexity of the second continent, its been fun to explore each time. Here's a screenshot so you can see the minimap of my latest game.

Strategics are definitely lower. I've generally never had problems with iron/horses but coal can be a problem if I don't find good areas to grab it.

My only real complaint is I've have noticed a distinctive lack of luxuries on the second continent, which has reduced my desire to go to certain areas (this is with the tu resource rebalancing active).

upload_2020-2-7_8-15-38.png

I've been playing Terra starts on your map for 4 games (1.13), which is my first experience with the map script.

Overall I quite like it. I found that with low sea levels I had enough space in the main continent that it didn't feel like a "war or die" scenario, but still plenty of ocean to work with. I really like the complexity of the second continent, its been fun to explore each time. Here's a screenshot so you can see the minimap of my latest game.

Strategics are definitely lower. I've generally never had problems with iron/horses but coal can be a problem if I don't find good areas to grab it.

My only real complaint is I've have noticed a distinctive lack of luxuries on the second continent, which has reduced my desire to go to certain areas (this is with the tu resource rebalancing active).

View attachment 545411
Yeah, luxuries are populated around starting civs. That's the way the original script was built. Maybe I've borked something with my changes resulting in terra maps not working properly. You know how located fat in the belly makes your trousers not reach your heels anymore?
But I doubt it. Did you tested the original Communitas which comes with VP on terra maps? Luxury placement should behave the same.

Luxury placement is outside debugging area, so it's difficult for me to try to fix it. Azum4roll did all the work on adding options to generate with the default resource placement, so Terra maps can be set on that way. Maybe we should ask him to make this option the default one for terra maps.

Luxury placement is 100% unchanged from base mod. You would get the same behaviour with vanilla Terra or the "As base mod" mode.

Btw, 1.14.0 exists that fixes starting positions of Terra as well as landmass size. Please try that instead!

Top Bottom