Community Call to Power Project Compatibility?

biship

Warlord
I love TBM (can't play CIV without it), the changes in the Community Call to Power Project look great. Anyone know if the two are compatible?

The call to power project is a total conversion with the goal of turning Civ into a CTP-like game. It replaces most of the things I alter in this mod, where the goal is focused on balancing vanilla. It'd be very difficult to make the two compatible.

Chances of the two ever working together are slim. One of the biggest reasons is that Thal carefully balances yields in this mod, and CTP uses increments of 5 for all yields.

Yes, my opinion is similar, it won't work together.

But, in general, whats with CIVUP? Is this one compatible to the most mods, e.g. spatz alpha centauri mod? (which has an own balance mod part, and on top the game is extended with more eras, e.g. digital, fusion).

Another discussion point would be: Are there (from other modders) any intentions to use VEM+CIVUP as a basis for a so-called "modmod"? This would VEM make more popular and make the chance to get the basis of many mods.

CiVUP is the more compatible of the two. I've designed everything in CiVUP to easily support modmods, if they end up being made some day.

The only limitation is the way user interface files work. There only can be 1 of each, so any mods that use CiVUP as a basis but want to change the user interface must keep the files synchronized, if that makes sense. However, I rarely make changes to this part of the package, so synchronization wouldn't be required often.

One thing I've been considering, is suggesting CiVUP as a hall of fame mod like bug/buffy was for Civ 4. I don't really know how to go about doing that. :think:

Thal's mods already line up well to be modmod basics, as it gives a relatively strong balancepoint to branch off of. Ever popular add 1000 buildings and units mods would work well.

:beer:

The question is how to get something like that going... I've never been good at the promotional side of things. Look at what a resounding "success" my Collaboration thread was... :lol:

But, in general, whats with CIVUP? Is this one compatible to the most mods, e.g. spatz alpha centauri mod? (which has an own balance mod part, and on top the game is extended with more eras, e.g. digital, fusion).

It's been a while since I've tested this. The reason my mod is split into separate Balance and Content mods is exactly so that people could pair other folks' Balance-type mods (especially Thal's) with my Content mod and still have a playable game. But I don't regularly test this compatibility, so it's easily possible that there'd be problems. As things get a bit more stable on my end I'm going to attempt to verify compatibility with most of the major mods.

:beer:

The question is how to get something like that going... I've never been good at the promotional side of things. Look at what a resounding success my Collaboration thread was... :lol:

The easiest way would probably to simply create an example mod. I'd be happy to help you create a mod where we just quickly add a ton of units, wonders, and buildings as an example of how to use one mod as a basis of another in CiV. From there, others would probably be more willing to check out the coding and move from there.

It's been a while since I've tested this. The reason my mod is split into separate Balance and Content mods is exactly so that people could pair other folks' Balance-type mods (especially Thal's) with my Content mod and still have a playable game. But I don't regularly test this compatibility, so it's easily possible that there'd be problems. As things get a bit more stable on my end I'm going to attempt to verify compatibility with most of the major mods.

That's very interesting! Currently I'm playing your mod, where I find the balance changes good (but noticeable different compared to VEM), and the AC-additions are the kicker...

If I'm not completely false, CIVUP includes several UI enhancements (like promotion flag display, happy resources UI) which I would like to have in the AC mod. When I'm from business trip, I will test them combined (but with Spatzimaus balance mod, since the changes are aligned for the AC mod).

Back to topic, I know that several mods are compatible with CIVUP+VEM, but most bigger mod projects are not (e.g. Community CTP).

So maybe it's worth to (actively) discuss with the other modders that they incorporate CIVUP as a basis of their mod, leaving them on the other site the chance to make suggestions which additional features/corrections should be integrated into CIVUP in order to get their mods working right.

This would make CIVUP even more popular, especially that CIVUP is usable without VEM for other mods. And Thal, your dream of getting CIVUP as a hall of fame mod would become closer. :)

@Sneaks
Sure, I'll send you a PM. :)

@DragonGreen
One place to start could be the community CTP project itself... I'll bring it up in that thread. If people start using it in their projects I might split CiVUP and VEM into separate downloads. The only downside is the potential confusion it might cause, if someone accidentally overlooks the warning that VEM requires CiVUP.

@Sneaks
Sure, I'll send you a PM. :)

@DragonGreen
One place to start could be the community CTP project itself... I'll bring it up in that thread. If people start using it in their projects I might split CiVUP and VEM into separate downloads. The only downside is the potential confusion it might cause, if someone accidentally overlooks the warning that VEM requires CiVUP.

then include the CiVUP with the VEM but not the VEM with CIVUP, state that is the case clearly and thats about all you can do if people arent going to pay attention to stuff ;).

Great mod btw :)

Top Bottom