Community Deity Game 32 - England

Nothing I try fixes it. Except if I play a turn and then open IGE. Then the settler moves. Sorry about the error. I guess the moral of this story is to not move the AI units with IGE. Hope peeps can have fun anyway.

Never mind. It was something a bit different. It's not the kind of map I would normally want to play as I tend to dislike maps with lots of promontories and the like. I prefer my maps fairly rounded and my starting position not too isolated. I'll leave this one for now, but thanks for making the effort. Map generation is one of the major frustrations of this game. It seems to me that you get a bad hand of cards more often than you get something you want to play.

Never mind. It was something a bit different. It's not the kind of map I would normally want to play as I tend to dislike maps with lots of promontories and the like. I prefer my maps fairly rounded and my starting position not too isolated. I'll leave this one for now, but thanks for making the effort. Map generation is one of the major frustrations of this game. It seems to me that you get a bad hand of cards more often than you get something you want to play.
Hmm, sounds like we like the exact opposite kind of map! I love this map type. In fact, my favorite is Fractal where you get those snakey shapes. That's why when I saw this map come up with a Continents setting I knew it was the one I had to go with. Just too bad about that settler.

But hey, for anyone reading this and still yet to play
Spoiler spoiler for stuck settler location and easy early civ to attack :
just head due north to bum rush The Celts who will have a settler stuck. Might get an early capital.

I've never played Fractal and wouldn't want to try for the reasons I've given, but if a snakey map is what you like you might be interested to try the Communitas map. Perfect World and Planet Simulator might also be worth investigating. For me it's mostly Hellblazer these days.

My first play through I lost on T314 to the faraway runaway. I had nothing going on really. I reloaded back to Ideology (I was 3rd, and 1st to Order) and aimed for an SV.

Funny, this second time through, the faraway runaway was much less interested in building parts. The fastest I could get to SV was T330. I sat on the last part so I could close out exploration, winning by SV on T342.

For achievements, I had four points. Three for closing out Exploration, and one for the six LBs w/ Logistics. (All of which survived long to enough to be upgraded to Bazookas, but all of which where dead by the end.)

civ5ss-cdg32-t342sv.jpeg

I retried from early, going Liberty. Game was not as strong, I never was able to get my war on. Points for closing out Exploration, that was it, and that detour did not help my game. The faraway runaway launched on T298, before I had even finished unlocking Rocketry.

My lands where in a little bit more coherent, as I put two expos on the peninsula to the west (for seven cities total). In my Tradition play, I had 5 cites pre-NC then picked up Sri Prada and Mt. Fuji. With Liberty, I got Mt. Fuji early, so my religion was a little earlier, but lost that city to the psycho neighbor and the AIs settled the Sri Prada island.

It might be interesting to try wide Tradition play, especially if I abuse map knowledge to snipe the stuck settler to the north, but I think I have wrung enough fun from this map.

SV turn 340. Only 4 points, but I'm not good enough to target achievements, so I'm just happy I won. Also, my first deity victory (the lite map of course) without a restart (not counting reloading twice when coup's failed). 1 capital before industrialization, 2 before flight, and 1 point each for 6 longbowmen and 10 SOL

Settled in place and went tradition. Rushed a settler to get to Uluru before the CS got it. 3rd city went near the GBR and 4th on the coast east of London. Almost lost out on Edinburgh to the Japanese, but snuck in to take it. I guess this pissed them off and the DOW'd me shortly after. Was at war with them most of the rest of the game, but unfortunately the capital wasnt in SOL range, so it took far longer than I expected. It didn't help that Harold kept attacking me, so I had to divert alot of troops, but the GBR worked as good defense so I held off.

By now I knew I couldn't invade the other continent, so it became a race with the Iroquois, who were the runaway on the other side. They had me out-teched at the end and had launched 3 parts already, so I was nervous, but i faith bought the last 4 GS i needed to rush techs, and had enough cash to buy the last 3 parts I needed and got in ahead of him.

Fun map and I love playing as England, so I may try the harder version.

Wow, I don't know how you all play so fast. I'm still on my first game and each turn is taking minutes. I have been in near constant war though and war in Civ 5 takes a lot of time.

This is one of the most fun games I've had in awhile. I think England may be my new favorite civ. I wonder why they're not ranked higher in people's tier lists? I thought LB were awesome, but +1 range Gatling Guns are incredible, better than cannons! I've read complaints about how Gatlings only get range one while bows get range 2 but I see why they did it like that now. And I've never bothered upgrading Gatlings to Machine Guns but I will with England. One negative is that the upgrade from SotL to Battleships is ridiculously expensive, I'm going to need to build the Pentagon just to afford it.

Spoiler status of late game :
Attached screenshot shows at T253 I had just conquered Copenhagen and set up my Ship of the Line blockade of the Straights of Sofia. But its now T275 and I can tell I'm not going to be able to stop The Iroquois or The Maya from getting a SV. I might be able to stop one but not both. Hiawatha already has 3 boosters. And its just too expensive to upgrade all my SotL to Battleships to take the fight fully to him.

Attachments

• England T253.jpg
    England T253.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 178
Top Bottom