1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BNW] Community Deity Game #36 - Japan

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by beetle, Jan 12, 2019 at 8:46 AM.

1. beetle

beetle Chieftain

CDG 36 – Oda Nobunaga

Please see the CDG Series Discussion Thread to express yourself if you have remarks and ideas. Some maps in this series use mods. This map uses the DLC map packs, so you will need “Explorers Map Pack”, “Scrambled Nations”, and “Scrambled Continents”, as well as the earlier (and more common) DLC such as “Wonders of the Ancient World”.

Please be encouraged to share your experience playing this map, but if you post in the first page of this thread, please use the SPOILER tag if you attach a picture, make a comment about your neighbors, nearby natural wonders, locations of ancient ruins, terrain features, luxes, resources, etc.

Before you download and start playing the map, please take a moment to speculate on your initial thoughts and plans for the game. Will you settle in place? Will you try to found a religion? What are your plans for getting the most from the UA and UU? What Victory Condition will you be aiming for?

The suggested VC for this map is Domination.

Spoiler for starting screen shot :
    civ5ss-cdg36japan-t0.jpeg

Spoiler for UA and UU :
    Bushido: Units fight as though they were at full strength even when damaged.
    +1 Culture from each Fishing Boat and +2 Culture from each Atoll.

You can train the Samurai which has the same strength and cost as the Longswordsman which it replaces. The Samurai gets the Shock I promotion for free and also has the Great Generals II unique promotion which is retained as the unit is upgrade. Samurai units have the ability to build fishing boats in a single turn (and without being consumed). Unlike the Longswordsman, Samurai do not become obsolete until Rifling, so they skip the Muskeman upgrade.

You can also train the Zero which has the same strength and cost as the Fighter which it replaces. The Zero gets a substantial bonus against other Fighters and (unlike Fighters) does not require an Oil resource.

Spoiler for the map type and other settings :
    Map type is Oceana with strategic balance. Raging Barbarians but standard size, standard speed, standard number of civs and CS. I used Rotate Start Position to pick the best spot. AIs were manually selected so that none would be handicapped by the water-oriented map type.

Achievements — maximum 6 points in each category:
    1. Exploit the UA early: 1 point for each Atoll and Fishing Boat in your cultural borders – but not including the capital – before NC is completed.
    2. Spam the UU early: 1 point for every second Samurai online at the same time.
    3. Samurai Veterans: 1 point for each Samurai descendant that makes it to Level 6 and that are all alive at the same time. For scoring, the units do not need to survive to the end of the game.
    4. Spam the UU late: 1 point for every second Zero online at the same time.
    5. Zero Veterans: 1 point for each Zero or Fighter Jet descendant that makes it to Level 6 and that are all alive at the same time.
    6. Tricks with the UA/UU (one point each, so just two points available in this category):
      1. Attack once when a unit is very weak, and you normally would not take the risk. Please describe in your write-up.
      2. Build a useful Fishing Boat with a Samurai. This could be 3rd/4th/5th ring lux, or to recover from pillaging.
    Spoiler for links to previous threads in CDG series :
    CDG1: Persia, Oct. 31st, 2015, domination, Pangea, hard, map by Consentient
    CDG2: Assyria, Nov. 15th, 2015, science, Pangaea, medium, map by Consentient
    CDG3: Ethiopia, Dec. 2nd, 2015, culture, NQ Pangaea, hard, map by Consentient
    CDG4: Spain, Dec. 17th, 2015, domination, NQ Pangaea, medium, map by Consentient.
    CDG5: Indonesia, Jan. 2nd, 2016, culture, NQ Continents, hard, map by Consentient.
    CDG6: Zulus, Jan. 15th, 2016, domination, Oval, easy, map by Consentient.
    CDG7: Shoshone, Feb. 2nd, 2016, culture, Oval, very easy, map by Enslingkorp.
    CDG8: Austria, Feb. 15th, 2016, science, Pangaea, very easy, map by IronfighterXXX.
    CDG9: Brazil, Feb. 28th, 2016, culture, Pangaea, medium, map by Blatc.
    CDG10: Denmark, March 14th, 2016, domination, Lakes, hard, map by Beetle.
    CDG11: Venice, April 1st, 2016, domination, Archipelago, very easy, map by Wild_Woojsha.
    CDG12: Byzantium, April 15th, 2016, domination, Continents, very hard, map by Beetle.
    CDG13: Inca, April 30th, 2016, culture, Pangaea, medium, map by Shark Diver.
    CDG14: Celts, May 18th, 2015, domination or culture, Oval, hard, map by Consentient.
    CDG15: America, May 30th, 2016, diplomacy, Mesopotamia, medium, map by Beetle.
    CDG16: Sweden, June 14th, 2016, domination or diplomacy, HB Continents, medium, map by Consentient.
    CDG17: Germany, July 2nd, 2016, diplomacy, Pangaea, easy, map by Dan Quayle.
    CDG18: France, July 14rd, 2016, diplomacy, HB Continents, hard, map by MaxAttack.
    CDG19: Ottomans, Aug. 5th, 2016, domination, Continents, medium, map by Beetle.
    CDG20: Portugal, Aug. 20th, 2016, domination, Pangaea, medium, map by Beetle.
    CDG21: China, Sept. 9th, 2016, domination, Pangaea, medium, map by @Dan Quayle.
    CDG22: Maya, Oct. 2nd, 2016, domination or science, NQ Pangaea, hard, map by @consentient.
    CDG23: Iroquois, Oct. 15th, 2016, domination or culture, NQ Oval, very hard, map by @consentient.
    CDG24: Babylon, Nov. 11th, 2016, science, Terra Incognita, medium, map by @beetle.
    CDG25: Arabia, Jan. 15th, 2018, domination, Pangea Plus, medium, map by @beetle.
    CDG26: Polynesia, Jan. 29th, 2018, culture, Small Continents Plus, easy, map by @beetle.
    CDG27: Poland, Feb. 18th, 2018, domination, Terra Incognita, medium, map by @beetle.
    CDG28: Huns, March 4th, 2018, domination, Terra Incognita, hard, map by @Grendeldef.
    CDG29: Korea, March 24th, 2018, science, Small Continents Plus, easy, map by @beetle.
    CDG30: Songhai, April 23rd, 2018, domination, Terra Incognita, hard, map by @Grendeldef.
    CDG31: Russia, May 10th, 2018, domination, Terra Incognita, medium, map by @Grendeldef.
    CDG32: England, June 9th, 2018, domination, Continents, medium, map by @raider980.
    CDG33: Aztec, June 24th, 2018, domination, Lakes, medium, map by @beetle.
    CDG34: Rome, Nov. 29th, 2018, domination, HB Continents, hard, map by @beetle.
    CDG35: Greece, Dec. 24th, 2018, domination, HB Pangea, very hard, map by @consentient.

There are two save files attached to this post. For the file with lite in its name, the AI civs only have one starting settler (instead of the usual two at Deity).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 2:45 PM
  2. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

The map is totally unknown entity to me but tha start looks ok for starters and I can't even recall when I last played Japan till the end. I think I even hosted Japan to end one of the previous series but I don't remember how it ended or even if it did.

I rarely build iron based land unit never more than one fighter per game so the achis are bringing something new but I particularly like #6.

SiP and go from there towards sailing much faster than usually I think will be starting plan. Other than that it's hard to say as this looks like highly iron dependant game sadly I think I don't have time to start before Monday.

3. beetle

beetle Chieftain

I am trying to pull people a little out of their comfort zones with the achievements!

I think I used Strategic Balance. In any case, I don’t remember lack of Iron to be a particular frustration. I should have mentioned that in OP.

EDIT: I now mention strategic balance option in OP. Also I added the very helpful but-oh-so-tedious-to-edit links to previous games in this series.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 2:01 PM
  4. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

That I noticed with enthusiasm and with strategic balance there'll be at least some iron, hopefully enough for both Samurais & Frigates as I assume both will be needed.

5. raider980

raider980 Chieftain

I'll start this since I'm stuck on both the Greece and Aztec games. Plus, I love Japan. I keep reading how the AA is not that great but I don't agree. It seems to help alot. It counts for defense too right? Even if it didn't, it helps greatly with bombers, ships, Gats, mounted units, tanks, and of course the Zero, which I use a lot - fighters with no oil, sweet.

I'll SiP (think that's the only move here), that desert though, I'm not liking it; given this is Deity I don't hope for DF or Petra, and its flatland desert anyway.

6. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

Not really played but started so T20

Spoiler T20 :

Only 1 Scout and even that was an overkill - a warrior would've been more useful. Started with Mining but it seems that was a mistake as well as there's no one to sell stuff since I advertised greener pastures to Sully's Worker on my side of the fence and that made him mad. I'm also starting Tradition instead of Liberty so I'm swimming in deep waters with this map.
    Next I need to tech to Optics asap, settle a 2nd city, prolly by the Marble as the adequate places are really lacking in the island and keep Sully at his bay. Hopefully there's better land on other islands otherwise the Samurais will be obsolete apart from the boat building duties.

7. penguin74

penguin74 Chieftain

Played about 30 turns before having to restart.

Spoiler :
    warrior got trapped behind suleiman's borders and scout was basically useless. Barbs were EVERYWHERE. It was like raging barbarians was kicked up to 11 (spinal tap reference). Couldn't work any tiles or get a worker so just gave up.

Will give it another go tonight

8. raider980

raider980 Chieftain

I restarted too.

Spoiler ~T150 map and civs named :
    I restarted after exploring a bit and realizing that SiP was not the right move. So I moved north one hex to get the two fish in range.

I then settled a city near the marble so I could get both marble and incense. This was real close to Suleiman though and he didn't like that. Settled another city on the silver down south. Early war with him but couldn't take his capital.

I wish I would have gone Tradition instead of Liberty because I only have 4 cities. There's not as much land (with luxes) close by as I thought.

And I have to load an auto save because Askia just DoW me with frigates and privateers. I'm going to loaded one turn back and make defensive pacts with a few others. I'll still lose my 4th city but maybe the others will keep him from getting more. (Wow, 4 others are willing, question is do I want them all).

9. beetle

beetle Chieftain

Yes, you want them all. I cannot think of any downside to having as many DP as possible to your current situation!