[Community Effort] Spanish Translation

Leoreth

Blue Period
This is the thread for translating the mod into Spanish. See here for the general thread explaining how the translation works and should be organised.

I will maintain this first thread with the members participating in this translation including the endorsed coordinator, but otherwise leave organisation to you. You don't need to be in this list to participate (I may be slow to update sometimes), but please coordinate with the coordinator.

Last edited:
I've written some translations, but I preferred to use "tú" over "vos". My German is rusty (I'm using it sometimes as a reference). When is "euch" used as a second person pronoun?

I'm not sure you can draw conclusions from German for Spanish. "Euch" is second person plural only, and only used in singular in case of a royal we.

The best solution here is to go with whatever standard the already existing BtS translation has established.

I haven't played Civ4 in Spanish in years, but as far as I can recall, they always used "vos", a formal but archaical way of "you".

I translated Dynamic Names of civs starting with "A". Where do I upload them?

Attachments

• DynamicNames.xml
    12.7 KB · Views: 156
  • DynamicNames_Argentina.xml
    2 KB · Views: 153
  • DynamicNames_Aztecs.xml
    3.7 KB · Views: 151
  • DynamicNames_America.xml
    5.8 KB · Views: 133
  • DynamicNames_Arabia.xml
    10.6 KB · Views: 65
I believe Spain switched from vos to tú around at the end Middle Ages, so unless you're Argentina or Colombia (which still use vos, though to a lesser degree in Colombia)... I assume it's not possible to make it dynamic?

No, but it seems it is common to release media in Latin American and European Spanish versions separately, for example Disney movies do this. Civ4 only has Spanish though, but I don't know if it is based on the European or any Latin American dialect.

Civ4 used the same translation for both versions, but it was Spain's translation.

OFF TOPIC (About Spanish language translations):
Spoiler :
Actually, most TV and movies are released separately in both regions, videogames being relatively recent (mid-to-late 2000's or something like that, while unexperienced videogame companies still use the same translation for both).

Most Latin American translations you'll ever hear are made in Mexico (Ex: Most movies and LatAm-translated videogames), while some are made, from most to least common, in Venezuela (Ex: Spongebob, Discovery Channel, History Channel, DC Animated Features), Argentina (Ex: Some Disney TV shows, Sony videogames), Chile (Ex: The Last Airbender), Los Angeles, Miami (Ex: South Park, The Fairly Oddparents), and Colombia. However, they're all required to use "acento neutro" (neutral accent), a dialect of Spanish that uses the least possible regional words, accents, and pronunciations.

In Spain, they're usually done in Madrid or Barcelona. I heard one dubs most movies and the other dubs most TV shows, but I don't know which is which. They both work using a Castilian dialect.

As for Disney movies, it was quite the opposite until the early 90's: They used the same version for both Spain and Latin America, until they decided to do it separately with The Beauty and the Beast, a successful move, and it has been like that ever since. As a Mexican who has seen most Disney movies dubbed and seen clips of the Spanish translation, I could say the two versions are great in both voices and dialogue, often even better than the original version. Part of it is because Disney is directly involved in those translations. In fact, the earliest dub actors and translators were hired by Walt Disney himself.
There are companies, like Sony and Dreamworks, that release two versions for Latin America: One with neutral words (no slang or regional words) and another one with Mexican words (Mexican G and PG rated slang and humour can be pretty funny, but most of it can only be understood by us, unless other countries have been exposed to Mexican media, which is often the case). An interesting case happened with The Incredibles: It had four dubs: Spain, Latin America (neutral), Mexican, and Argentinian. The Argentinian dub, like the Spaniard one, had its own separate voices, but it was not successful, so after few movies they went back to having Argentina share the same translation as the rest of Latin America.

As for the Spanish vs LatAm translations, people who are used to listen to one version often dislike the other, and they're often a cause for highly heated flamewars. In my opinion, each one is made for a different audience, adding the challenge of one being targeted to one country while the other one is targeted to half a continent, and most of what is used to criticize one can be used to criticize the other.

I believe Spain switched from vos to tú around at the end Middle Ages, so unless you're Argentina or Colombia (which still use vos, though to a lesser degree in Colombia)... I assume it's not possible to make it dynamic?

Actually, in-game text and dialogue use medieval "vos". I've only seen it used by medieval texts and archaic fictional characters. The "voseo" used in countries such as Argentina is a different one. For example, with the verbs "ser", "estar", "tener" and "haber".
"tú": eres, estás, tienes, has.
Medieval "vos": sois, estáis, tenéis, habéis.
Argentinian "vos": sos, estás, tenés, habés.
And the remaining few countries that use it also have their own conjugations. Medieval "vos" mostly survives in many dialects of Spain Spanish as "vosotros", the plural of "you".

(Meanings: "ser" is "to be", as in inherent things. "estar" is "to be" as non-inherent things, like mood, weather, or location. "tener" is "to have", as in owning, possessing, or having a duty. "haber" is also "to have", as in having done something).

No, but it seems it is common to release media in Latin American and European Spanish versions separately, for example Disney movies do this. Civ4 only has Spanish though, but I don't know if it is based on the European or any Latin American dialect.
Unless they alternated throughout the game or had different versions, the Spanish of BtS is that of Spain (they use "ordenador" for computer instead of "computadora").
When they quote the Old Testament for Animal Husbandry, they use "tú", so might just be best to go with that for consistency.

Regardless, I think it is very important to fit the word "coger" somewhere in the translation (meaning "to catch" in Spain-Spanish, something very different in Latin American-Spanish).

Last edited:
Yes ,in BTS they used Castillian Spanish instead of Latin America's. I would also use this approach if possible. As for the second person, if I remember correctly they didn't use the "vos", but the use of imperative and other verbal forms is very similar and indistinguishable if you don't know whether the speaker is referring to a person or a crowd. Finally there is also the formal "usted" that uses 3rd person for impersonal second person usage, but I don't think it was used in BTS

I would love to help as a native speaker makes this work easier for me. Unfortunately I have a busy summertime period, so I doubt there would be anything else to do when I become available

You don't have to create a pull request right away, if you collect translations in some other way that is fine as well.

Working on Actions.xml for around 3 hours, so far...

Attachments

• Actions.xml
    14.5 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
I had done some work there. Perhaps we should open a Git branch where we can all work on this translation. I have already done half of the dynamic names.

I strongly encourage you to state what you're doing BEFORE you start.

I have a question: if I wanted to place (for example) a "ñ", should I convert it first to a decimal number and then type "&#241"?

Last edited:
Top Bottom