1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Community Game - Japan

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gothic_Empire, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Gothic_Empire

Gothic_Empire AKA, Ramen Empire

Edit: I am smart, and uploaded the wrong Intial Autosave. Stalker0 made a really good point about using exta mods, so I am just going to start a VP-only initial auto-save and upload that.

Edit 2: And we're off the races. The correct file is up, and no other mods are used other than VP.

I thought it would be a good idea if at least a few of us played the same game and reported back with how we did, what felt too strong, what felt too weak, and just generally how the game went and how we played.

Mods:
    Vox Populi 9-12
    Historical Religions Edit

Settings:
    Japan
    Standard Speed
    Emperor
    Communitas
    Standard Size
    Default # civs & city states

Initial Auto-save

Non-messed up initial autosave

I'd rate this map as fairly easy (at least for the strategy I'm using) so even if you don't play Emperor normally, give it a shot. If you normally play at a higher level, maybe drop it down and see what new strategies you can get away with. I'd love to see how other people approach the same situation!

I have no idea what this map looks like now, beyond the starting hexes. There is a pearl and some tea in view. =)

2. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

It's a great idea. That said, it's not a good idea to include mod mods for these exercises....even ones that don't appear to change any core functions, so you are assured you are getting a true look at the mod uninfluenced by anything elae

3. Gothic_Empire

I forgot to disable it before I started. The next one will be clean. :)

4. Greggy08

Greggy08 Chieftain

I think i will play the next one so, I don't want to install other mods now.
    Anyway, great idea, I feel this is going to help a lot!

Edit: Is there a way to change the difficult of the game, while keeping the save?

5. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Warlord

SHAMEFUR DISPRAY

I installed your mod - by the way, why even use that instead of the way cooler Strange Religions? Do you hate fun? Do you not feel like founding Chaos is something you should aspire to do? Or Illuminati. Or Triforce belief. So many cool stuff with cool icons you could be founding instead.

Too bad the save doesn't load anyway. It also shows me Boudicca face + icon on the save, and when trying to load the save it crashes...

Anyway, I still know how it is. It's good for your tactic. Your tactic involved god of the sea. That means there's lots of sea resources. And you're playing Japan. It's impossible to check the strength of anything from something like that tbh, RNG smiled upon you... Probably... That's what I can assume without being able to load the save.

6. Gothic_Empire

Yep. I uploaded the wrong file. New one incoming. :lol:

7. Gothic_Empire

What is shamefur?

I use Historical Religions Edit because that's what my office plays. The four of us like it.

8. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Warlord

It's a joke related to Japan in Shogun II Total War.

I still recommend Strange Religions, your office will love it, esp warhammer lovers.

9. Gothic_Empire

I swapped the upload out for one that requires no other mods. :)

10. Gothic_Empire

AI got my god of the sea. :'( Looks like my current goal is ancestor worship + veneration. :p

11. heinous_hat

heinous_hat Chieftain

Trouble loading the save due to DLC requirements...

It's either Scrambled Continents (which would be silly) or Upgrade Data 1... is that the description for EUI?

EDIT: So I "refreshed" my Civ5 Complete purchase (didn't know you could do that) to add the Scrambled Continents map packs... cost me $.82 :king: That's all it needed.

Attached Files:

12. Gothic_Empire

13. heinous_hat

heinous_hat Chieftain

Well, it's happy about the DLCs and loads the save, but it CTDs after that. Have to check the logs and minidump.

I actually had the terrain mod installed as well... forgot to take it out.

14. Txurce

Txurce Warlord

I never play with Japan, but I like the idea of these comparisons. So I'm in!

EDIT: I can't open the WinZip file. It seems to have an error. Anyone else succeed opening the "non-messed up" one?

15. ExpiredReign

ExpiredReign Chieftain

Shouldn't need to unzip anything. As far as I can see it's just a CivV save file.
    I haven't actually loaded it because I'm still trying to consistently win on 'King', I'll fail miserably on 'Emperor'.

16. Gothic_Empire

Ideally, you can just drop it into modded saves and go from there, but apparently I have an uncommon DLC that it thinks is mandatory. :(

17. Txurce

Txurce Warlord

Thanks. I dropped it into the Modded Saves "auto" folder, but the game doesn't find it.

18. ExpiredReign

ExpiredReign Chieftain

@Gothic_Empire your "uncommon DLC" is the Scrambled Continents Map Pack. Though not required for Vox Populi, if it is part of an install that DLC will be active in any saves made and they cannot be shared.
    Many users, myself included, don't have that DLC.

19. Gothic_Empire

I will try this concept again on the next release with that disabled.

Scrambled Continents has an excellent mapscript simply called "earth" with identical coast-lines and scrambled innards. It's really fun. Oceana and Small Continents Plus are also interesting, but I can't with any honestly recommend the DLC. I don't really want to support Firaxis selling *only* mapscripts, and the mapscripts do not feel in any significant way novel.

20. heinous_hat

heinous_hat Chieftain

Well, if nothing else, this thread filled that last, unknown hole in my Civ5 installation :) Small Continents Plus is also hidden in that DLC, by the way... solid script.

Finally got the save to load without crashing. I use a pile of whoward's UI mods (since I'm a non-EUI guy)... one of those is likely the culprit as all went well with just the VP package. Need to figure out which one though...