1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Community Game - Japan

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gothic_Empire, Sep 15, 2016.

1. IcyAngel

IcyAngel Prince

The prospects were exciting -pearl and atoll in starting range?!- but I hit unit cap on turn zero and received a policy on turn one.

2. Gothic_Empire

Gothic_Empire AKA, Ramen Empire

Yeah, I'm going to come back to this idea with a bit more careful prep after the next release. :lol:

3. heinous_hat

heinous_hat Prince

I'm playing it now... turned out to be Flag Promotions and InfoAddict that that were causing a CTD on load. Both mods are properly flagged with regard to affecting saves, so this was my oversight.

Anyway, game in progress...

This particular map would be a swell start for the old Japan that drew culture from iron and horse... oh the irony ;) But it's an excellent start nonetheless, with tea as the regional luxury and some secondary pearl tiles nearby. There are only 4 pearl instances in this game, so a second monopoly is a strong possibility.

I still went the usual route with Japan by going Trapping-> Fishing. By the time I got to my pantheon, however, God of the Open Sky looked a lot more lucrative than God of the Sea or any of the dependable scalars, so that was my pick.

I also left my comfort zone by taking Authority instead of Tradition, which seems a better basis for trying out the reworked Japan.

4. Gothic_Empire

For certain! Authority Japan is super powerful, and the extra food / culture from the sea resources covers the opportunity costs of going tradition, easily.

I ended up with Ancestor Worship, and founding Shinto with Veneration and Golden Age points from missionary spreading, but I was worried there wouldn't be a strong religion nearby for me to exploit. I have not, sadly, had time to keep playing. :(

5. Meister Maggi

Meister Maggi Warlord

I also tried that one (not sure it is worth continuing after the overhaul of Japan with the new patch):
    - founded "left" on the lake
    - got culture from a hut in turn 3
    - opened tradition on t.5
    - built stonehenge on t.23 (!) - thanks to guardhouse -> sea pantheon

From there things went pretty smooth - built a block city to the north and expanded peacefully along the map - with the resources and the space (and the wonders I am catching - I am well ahead in the points, decent in science - 500 AD 3 turns from middle ages, and strong in culture);

This of course only ultimately showcases that the change of Japan makes sense, as I was doing very well without any wars...of course, without the many sea resources things would have been more difficult...

6. heinous_hat

heinous_hat Prince

I'll be moving on from this game as well... anxious to try the fully revamped Japan. The removal of the magic sushi strategy is a real shake up... quite frightening really :shifty:

One thing I've (re)learned from this map is that Communitas features WAY too many instances of bonus and strategic resources. I think I used to play the sparse setting for this reason. Atolls are also well out of hand. It goes without saying that conquering these 2 city states wouldn't be a terrible move...

Spoiler :

IMHO, the script still needs more down-tuning to bring it in line with vanilla and custom scripts that use default placement routines. Otherwise, we're never on the same page when discussing balance and design issues.

Anyway, I think community map playthroughs are a nice idea and a good accompaniment to community challenge games on random maps. Each has it's strength as far as balance testing goes, but playing a common map and sharing stories can be fun.

Attached Files:

7. Gothic_Empire

Yep. I hit turn 200 or so but I need to try the new patch.