1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Community poll: adding a more easily visible Tribute breakdown to City Banners

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by civplayer33, Jan 9, 2020.

?

Would you like to see this added to VP (EUI) and 43 Civs (EUI)?

Poll closed Feb 20, 2020.
  1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    96.2%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Leave me alone, numbers are for nerds!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. civplayer33

civplayer33 King

Since I'm currently playing a game with Autocracy and wanted to check the current state of the Autocracy diplomatic game specifically, among other things, I've noticed a great annoyance: tributing City States requires having a certain amount of units within a certain range, among many other factors; the "value" of a unit for this purpose will change from turn to turn (with a tendency toward being devalued as the CS creates more of his own units or upgrades them and increases his City Strength). This means one needs to often check the relevant menu of the CS to see what the current numerical breakdown is, both to gauge if the units are within range and if they are still enough for the planned tribute demand.

Currently the only indicator of this outside of the menu is the CS banner icon, which will turn yellow if the CS is afraid and thus willing to yield to a tribute demand. However, this only happens once the threshold is crossed and is thus useless for most of the preparatory unit movement and it doesn't help at all if the player chose Autocracy and has access to the Tyranny policy, which allows tributing friendly City States (as their icons won't change when Friendly or Allied).

Checking the menu is tiresome as it requires aiming the mouse at four different buttons (two clicks, one mouse over and one click to close the menu, which can also be done with 'Esc') and may be required literally dozens of times in one turn if multiple City States are planned to be tributed.
    So I've created a solution: I simply added the tribute breakdown for the "normal" tribute to the City Strength tool tip:

CS_tribute_TT2.jpg

This makes sense thematically, as City Combat Strength does influence those numbers and the tool tip previously only contained the "City Combat Strength" text. This way checking the current status for tributing takes only a single mouse over, which is much quicker and much less annoying and it is rather easy to do in the code. By simply subtracting 50 from the grand total the player will know the status of "Heavy Tribute".
    However, I don't know whether my autistic tendencies ( ;) ) and preferences are shared by others so I thought I'd ask around before making a pull request on GitHub (which may very well be denied, but a positive reaction here could carry some weight for this).

So: Would you like to see this implemented in VP (EUI)?

If the reaction is positive I would make the relevant pull requests, but only for VP (EUI) and 43 Civs (EUI) as changing the other "modes" (CP only, CP+CBP only, 43 Civs with CP only, 43 Civs without EUI and full VP without EUI) would require more complicated code additions and those modes are more minimalist, UI-wise, anyway, so I don't want to bother people who dislike EUI and prefer clicking through a gazillion useless menus with my UI enhancements :lol:.

2. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

Would it be possible to add 2 more colors to the CS icons? A dark, burnt orange/brown for heavy tribute, and a purple (ally blue + tribute red) for tyranny tribute? That would be even nicer :)

vyyt, SwirlSlayer and CrazyG like this.
  3. civplayer33

civplayer33 King

Maybe, but for me personally that would still not be enough, as I still need to check the "value" of individual units (so I can calculate how many more of them I need to send) and I need to know when a unit is in range even before I cross the threshold that would trigger the change in color.

4. Tugboatspotter

Tugboatspotter Warlord

I would say why not if it is easily implemented, although I don't play this style.

5. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

I love this idea, and the idea for the thread. Checking for tribute is a huge pain in the but currently.

6. Recursive

Recursive Emperor

Definitely a yes. However, I'll note that the text key "you can demand a tribute of Gold at the cost of Influence" is inaccurate, since heavy tribute can also be demanded...and Mongolia can also annex City-States outright.

7. civplayer33

civplayer33 King

It's not inaccurate, just not comprehensive; to actually demand the Tribute the player has to go into the menu where he will immediately see the available options. No matter if other forms of tribute are available or not, the Gold Tribute is always available, too, AFAIK and any special cases have to be chosen by the player (Tyranny, for example) and make their mechanism very clear in their description.

8. Recursive

Recursive Emperor

Fair enough. I meant to say "partially accurate". :)

9. civplayer33

civplayer33 King

Unless the player has picked Tyranny, which states in its description that Influence is gained on tributing friendly CSs, thus telling the player about the exception, the text is 100% accurate as it does not specify that Gold tribute is the only available option; it just doesn't talk about other things, like Heavy Tribute or the nuances of how the values are calculated or any other stuff and to actually tribute the player needs to use the menu and will see any other options there...the point is that I want to strike a good balance here; I do like the idea and aesthetics of pineappledan's idea but it wouldn't give me the information I want, personally; talking about Heavy Tribute or special cases in the tool tip, on the other hand, would inflate it unnecessarily, IMO, and make it too complicated again, including the implementation. I also thought about adding a "quick tribute" functionality (left click on City Strength label for normal Tribute and right click for Heavy Tribute) but that would require too much explanation in the tool tip, as well, and would probably also lead to unintended tributing.

So that's why I implemented it as shown: it is very lightweight, just half a dozen lines of code, shows all the relevant info and doesn't have any drawbacks that I can see.

Recursive likes this.
  10. azum4roll

azum4roll King

I want both city strength mouseover text and different city state icon colours (dark orange for non-friend/ally heavy tribute, dark green for friend tribute, dark blue for ally tribute - I don't think anyone cares about heavy tributes when they have tyranny), if possible.

vyyt likes this.
  11. civplayer33

civplayer33 King

Well if anyone wants to contribute the icon color functionality I certainly won't stop them but this is a much more involved thing and I'm not sure it's even possible...I looked into it a bit and it would involve changing texture atlases and modifying many different files, while not even providing the most basic info, like how much of an impact a specific unit will have on a CS's willingness to give in to my Tribute demand or if a specific unit is even within range of the CS (unless it's the unit that tips the "balance" and, together with the other units, allows the Tribute to happen, which is of very limited use in comparison).

12. azum4roll

azum4roll King

Colours are useful since you don't have to mouseover again after every movement. Sometimes your army is just passing by and maybe you want to click that tribute button, but you don't think to check.

13. saamohod

saamohod Prince

I'm for it. Autism for the win!

vyyt, Recursive and civplayer33 like this.
  14. civplayer33

civplayer33 King

Unfortunately this behavior is very inconsistent...I've had many cases in my games so far where the banner changed to yellow ("Afraid") not when my unit got in range but when I moused over the City Banner after moving my unit...this is because unit movement doesn't actually trigger a check of surrounding City States and whether they can be tributed...it may be possible to introduce such a check but I don't know whether it's advisable from a performance standpoint (think about it: for every single hex any player unit moves, you'd have to scan the entire area, identify the CSs and then for each calculate the Tribute functions)...there are numerous things that trigger such a check for individual City Banners, such as a mouse over of the City Banner in the case of City States or City damage or the City tile being revealed or becoming visible and some other events but the point is: this would be yet another aspect that would have to be coded and would definitely degrade performance to some degree during the player turn...so, again, if anyone else wants to do it and check whether it's okay from a performance standpoint I'm not opposed but this is not my proposal.

15. civplayer33

civplayer33 King

Alright, looks like this change has been merged in! :goodjob:

It will either be part of the 1-11 hotfix or, at the latest, the next beta release.

It's live now with the 1-11-2 hotfix.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  16. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

What is used to determine if a unit is nearby a CS when trying to tribute?

17. civplayer33

civplayer33 King

Yeah that's a good question :lol:

I've tried to understand this from the code but it's still a bit of a mystery to me...it's supposed to be an area around the CS that is traversable by a "standard unit" (whatever that means) within a certain amount of turns (the code looks like it may be 5 turns but that doesn't seem to make sense considering the observations I'm making ingame)...but it definitely is not a simple radius of x tiles around the CS; if the terrain around the CS is hard to traverse (need to embark / disembark or rough terrain) then the tributing area will be smaller.