[Community Support Request] German, French and maybe Spanish

Hello, I'm bilingual in French and English. I'd be interested in having a crack at the French translation. I've done Fr to En translation before, though not the other way round -- but I'm sure I'd get the hang of it.
Another option besides the Diplomacy file is New_Professions, which is the first fully translated file and will be uploaded soon. By the way, it was translated by DeepL, which has proven to be better than Google. All French texts generally need a thorough reading.

For translating it works best if you use Notepad++.

I don't need immersion in the game. I, as a translator, need that at the time of the release of the game, the player could navigate the game. and for this, first of all, a translation of what I spoke about is needed. and how difficult it is to translate games, I learned back in 1998) using DOS Navigator:D
so trust me, i know what i'm talking about.

Last edited:
Hello all,

my English is bad and I don't have that much time currently, but I think I can still support in a meaningful way.

- German as native language
- Thanks to good online translators I will already understand the content of the texts
- Already many hours of XML modding in Civ4Col
- No experience with GitHub, but at least with SVN

Many greetings
Aemon

PS: Text translated automatically ;-)

@Fürstbischof , do not add or edit tags for the Russian language. because until the text is translated, the text will be in english, but not "TBD". this is not a request, this is my demand.
I guess you wanted to do the best, but it turned out the other way around.

UPD. I have removed all <Russian>TBD</Russian> tags, you don't have to fix it. GitHub files are already updated.

Last edited:
I appeal to everyone who is going to translate, is already translating or correcting texts.

please don't use special characters like this - º. this causes errors in Cyrillic OS (even if the text has been translated). use letters or other symbols whenever possible.

for example. instead of "Vasco da Gama, 1.º Conde da Vidigueira" write "Vasco da Gama, 1st Conde da Vidigueira".

Thank you.

Unfortunately I have not yet managed to create the CvGameCoreDLL.dll (error message in Visual Studio).
I have taken the files from github.com/We-the-People-civ4col-mod/Mod as a basis.
However, the "Project Files" are 2 years old and contain accordingly a "RaR.vcxproj" and no "WTP.vcxproj".
Also, in the directory the newest files are 8 months old. Here are probably the new files to be translated not included at all or?

Are there newer files and if so, where can I find them?

Many greetings
Aemon

Last edited:
github.com/We-the-People-civ4col-mod/Mod
The master is outdated by 2 years. (It is the last public release.) --> Do not use it.
There were a few bugfixes after Release 3.0.1, but all the actual development happened in other branches.

Once we publish a new official full Release it will become "Master" again.
(But that will probably still take a bit of time - first we will have a beta.)
Are there newer files and if so, where can I find them?
The most current dev branch is "New Hope" and it is found here:
(It is the branch that will become Release 4.0)

-------------

However:

Do you use GIT? And do you know how to synch?
If you do not use GIT, please do NOT start translating anything.
You would just cause unnecessary overhead for us to merge.

Once you get "New_Hope", it is very simple steps to compile.
Put the mod in the /Mods folder of the base game installation (where you also find the exe).

Then simply:
1. Install Strawberry Perl
2. Klick the "Get Compiler.bat" (in "Project Files")
3. Klick "compile.pl" (in "Project Files")
4. Select Option 2: Dynamic DLL

--------------

Also if you want to work with us, please announce / coordinate everything you do !
There are now several people working on translations and without communication we will cause trouble and overhead.

Especially coordinate with @Fürstbischof , since he is also working on German translation currently.
(So you should better not work on the same files since it otherwise could be double work.)

Use this thread on our discord to coordinate / communicate work on translations:

-------------

To summarize:

1) Use "New Hope" as base
2) Use GIT and properly synchronize
3) Communicate your work in discord.

Anything else will cause problems.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

--------------

I am currently not around every day and pretty busy with private life.
But the rest of the team is more active, so if you have questions, just ask. :)

Last edited:
Thank you! Was not "without problems", but NewHope is now running.
I haven't worked with Git yet (only with SVN), but at least I managed to find the branch "New_Hope" with "GitHub Desktop"...
I am now almost ready to work.
(I don't have write permissions for Git. But first I'll talk with Fürstbischof about tasks).

guys, one more thing: before uploading your translation to GitHub, try to create a DLL and run the game. if there are gross errors (an unclosed tag, a symbol is missing in the tag, etc.), you will receive an error and be able to fix it. this will save you and other contributors the trouble of finding and fixing bugs after updating the mod.
Thanks for your attention.

Last edited:
With me there are now always error messages, because in the UTF8_FatherInfo.xml the characters were written with & # and not directly the UTF8 character.

Is there a reason why the characters were not set directly as in the other files?

(Locally I have changed it)

Last edited:
With me there are now always error messages, because in the UTF8_FatherInfo.xml the characters were written with & # and not directly the UTF8 character.
That actually makes no sense, since & and # are also UTF8 characters ... :confused:

Is there a reason why the characters were not set directly as in the other files?
Because that is the way it had to be done in Civ4Col Vanilla before @Nightinggale implemented the new Text System for WTP.
(Special characters had to be encoded. And sometimes encoding even today is necessary if it is not UTF8.)

Please contact @Nightinggale to find out what is going wrong. :thumbsup:

(Locally I have changed it)
Maybe you messed up one of your changes and it is not about the encoding of a special character. :think:
(e.g. Sometimes people miss closing tags for a language.)

Make a diff using Notepad++ between the changed version and the original file. :thumbsup:

Edit:
Without more detail it is almost impossible to help. :dunno:

Last edited:
That actually makes no sense, since & and # are also UTF8 characters ... :confused:
Actually when using the html character escapes it's possible to set the byte value of each byte. This in turn allows adding values, which are invalid according to the UTF-8 standard and as such can't be decoded. That should trigger error messages.

Don't use character escapes unless you absolutely have to, like &lt and &gt for < and > respectively (since those character would interfere with the xml reading). I have no idea how escaped characters shows up in an utf8 file, but if they do, then that's a mistake, which should be fixed.

I think they are there to replace special characters in some languages in a certain encoding. for example: Gr&#252nderv&#228ter is written instead of Gründerväter.
It's strange that this causes errors...

I have added some missing TXT_KEY_ tags. for the German and French languages just carried out changes of such symbols. please check if I replaced correctly and correct if necessary.
since I don't know these languages, I used google translator. so I apologize if the words were translated / spelled incorrectly.

After doing the German translation in CIV4GameText_WTP_New_Buildings_utf8, I noticed that the strategy entries tend to be duplicate history entries.
Example:
TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CONFECTIONER_HOUSE_PEDIA
At first settlers import candy from the home country but before long an enterprising confectioner realizes that sugar is growing right next door, and all that's needed is a way to flavour it - maybe chocolate or vanilla. There's one other trick; grinding the sugar so fine that the candy has a smooth consistency.
TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CONFECTIONER_HOUSE_STRATEGY
Having a candy store means that the settlers and their children don't need to wait for the ship to come in from Europe to satisfy their sweet tooth. The local confectioner makes everybody happy, the dentist in particular.

According to the "old" pattern, however, strategy should rather say there:

The confectioner's house is the lowest level of a confectioner's building. Confectioners produce chocolate from cocoa and sugar. This process is even more effective if you assign a master confectioner to the profession.
(Content purely from memory - only as an example)

My problem: I don't like to "delete" someone's creative work. Nevertheless, I think that under strategy should rather be game mechanics.

Partially, I could put the current strategy texts in the history entry. However, the English language could then suffer, since DeepL writes much better English than I do ;-)

Or asked in another way: Should I work on it from the "German side" or does someone (the author?) prefer to work on the English Pedia entries himself?

English texts are managed by @Kendon. maybe you should talk to him about this.
I have not yet translated Pedia and Strategy, so I can not say anything about this.

After doing the German translation in CIV4GameText_WTP_New_Buildings_utf8, I noticed that the strategy entries tend to be duplicate history entries.
Example:
TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CONFECTIONER_HOUSE_PEDIA

TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CONFECTIONER_HOUSE_STRATEGY
According to the "old" pattern, however, strategy should rather say there:
(Content purely from memory - only as an example)
My problem: I don't like to "delete" someone's creative work. Nevertheless, I think that under strategy should rather be game mechanics.
Partially, I could put the current strategy texts in the history entry. However, the English language could then suffer, since DeepL writes much better English than I do ;-)
Or asked in another way: Should I work on it from the "German side" or does someone (the author?) prefer to work on the English Pedia entries himself?

I just checked Confectioner House. Here's what's there now:

<TEXT>
<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CONFECTIONER_HOUSE_PEDIA</Tag>
<English>At first settlers import candy from the home country but before long an enterprising confectioner realizes that sugar is growing right next door, and all that's needed is a way to flavour it - maybe chocolate or vanilla. There's one other trick; grinding the sugar so fine that the candy has a smooth consistency.</English>
<German>Zunächst importieren die Siedler Süßigkeiten aus der Heimat, doch schon bald stellt ein geschäftstüchtiger Zuckerbäcker fest, dass der Zucker gleich nebenan wächst und man ihn nur noch aromatisieren muss - vielleicht mit Schokolade oder Vanille. Es gibt noch einen weiteren Trick: Man muss den Zucker so fein mahlen, dass die Bonbons eine glatte Konsistenz bekommen.</German>
</TEXT>
<TEXT>
<Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_CONFECTIONER_HOUSE_STRATEGY</Tag>
<English>Having a candy store means that the settlers and their children don't need to wait for the ship to come in from Europe to satisfy their sweet tooth. The local confectioner makes everybody happy, the dentist in particular.</English>
<German>Ein Süßwarenladen bedeutet, dass die Siedler und ihre Kinder nicht auf das Schiff aus Europa warten müssen, um ihren süßen Hunger zu stillen. Der örtliche Süßwarenhändler macht alle glücklich, vor allem den Zahnarzt.</German>
</TEXT>

The entries are different but your more important point is that strategy should include a reason why a player might build a confectioner's house in the first place.

I've just checked the German text using DeepL and it's the same as the English. That may have been done before you got started.

I'll go through the New Buildings and add tips for playing.

What would be good is for you, as you write the German, to add those playing tips to strategy; but only in the German. That way I can incorporate your ideas into the English while I still can manage idiom and phrasing. Sometimes I'm using words that relate to a different file so that a story gets built and style is maintained. That way there's a unity to game progress.

So yes, I'd prefer to make the English changes myself but I did have a nagging recollection that something got overlooked. Thank you for pointing it out.

Top Bottom