1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Companies

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by AbsintheRed, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Baron03

Baron03 Baron

As far as icons go the original companies can probably use what they already have. The potential newer ones did not take a lot of digging:

Order of Dragon

Order of Santiago

Order of Caltrava

Guild of Saint Luke: you can probably use one of the medieval company icons that AND uses like the drapers' guild. There's lefty to pick from.

Silk Road: I think DoC uses an icon for it if I remember correctly.

2. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Well, we have some icon ideas here for the 2 added companies :)

Anyway, I want to restart brainstorming about companies, as the updates are not over yet.
    With the recent update I feel the basics are already in a really good place - I did a huge amount of testing with this one - but some things are not adjusted yet.
    For example the city screen and the company screen. Also there are no gamefont icons for the new companies yet, so there are not visible on the map at all.
    I also plan to further improve some functions, but more on that later.
    First I want to have all the necessary stuff ready for the release of 1.5

Spoiler new company system :

- Dynamic Company system is introduced to the mod!
    - Companies are not founded by civs anymore (or with GPs actually), but are independent entities on their own
    - They semi-automatically spread to cities based on their own preferences:
    -- Available regions and provinces for the companies are set up on a (more or less) historic base
    -- Most companies have hated and preferred religions, and have modifiers for most religions (both on a state and on a city level)
    -- Hated state religion or the lack of preferred religion in the city can even be an excluding reason for some companies
    -- Wars might also add negative or positive effects to company spread on some situations, mostly based on state religion of the participants
    -- Knowledge of some techs give better odds for some companies (e.g. Chivalry, Plate Armor for military orders; Banking, Shipbuilding for trade companies)
    -- Military buildings will boost your chances for a military order, trade buildings for a trading/banking company
    -- Many civics have various modifiers to company spread, for example Merchant Republic, Feudal Law, Mercantilism, Religious Tolerance, Militarism
    -- Trade goods available to a city is fairly significant in spread chance, also you get bonuses to yields in a similar fashion as in vanilla BtS corps
    -- Number of trade routes is also an important factor for deciding where to spread the trading/banking companies
    - They have a "birth" date and some have a "death" date, and are mostly active between those (these are usually set on historic dates)
    - All of them have a limit for the number of cities they can be active at at a given time
    - There is competition between the cities for the companies - every few turns the company may leave some cities if there are better ones for their needs
    - If there is a huge drop in the preference value for a company (for example on state religion change or city ownership change) it may leave the city right away
    - There might also be competition between companies for a given city (e.g. Templars-Teutons-Hospitallers), if one is present the rest have decreased chance
    - If a given company has already spread to some cities of a civ, it will have somewhat decreased chance for further spread in that civ's cities

- Masters/Executives can no longer spread companies, they are effectively removed from the mod
    - Currently there are no Headquarters, all cities with the given company spread into them are considered equal - this might change later on
    - Companies have resource preferences, and add various yield bonuses if you have access to them (based on their quantity) - as in the vanilla game
    - Hospitaller, Templar and Teutonic Knights also give you access to the Relic resource type, which adds extra happiness to your civ
    - Companies might have special units and/or buildings associated with them, all of which are only buildable while the company is present in the city
    - Company costs are independent from your civ: do not cost any money when they spread to your cities, and do not cost any maintenance for being present
    - Added various interface messages for companies spreading/leaving, both for your own cities and for foreign cities visible to you
    - Removed unnecessary popups connected to company availability
    - Corporations in your cities no longer add any stability penalty

- All 7 previous RFCE companies were integrated into the new system
    - 2 new companies: the Order of the Dragon, the Order of Calatrava
    - Hanseatic League can only spread to coastal cities
    - Hospitallers, Templars, Teutons and Calatrava spread Catholicism to the city when they spread there
    - The Levant (and especially Jerusalem) has a greatly improved chance for Hospitallers, Templars and Teutons
    - Trading/banking companies have a preference (smallish) to their historical founding provinces
    - Hospitaller preferred region change after the Crusades, with Malta and Rhodes gaining importance
    - Teutons preferred region change after the Crusades, with Transylvania and the lands of Prussia gaining importance
    - Teutons are set to have a very high chance to spread to cities of the Teutonic Order (Prussia)
    - City limit is also modified for Hospitallers and Teutons after the Crusades are over
    - The Genoese UHV is changed to simply build 8 banks (for now)

3. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

One thing in which I would particularly like to hear ideas for:
    What should be the desired resources and the bonuses produced from them, for each company?

4. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

I will add further uniques to the companies.
    I'm fairly sure for:
    Kontor UB for the Hanseatic League (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kontor)
    Knight of the Dragon and Calatrava Knight UUs for the 2 new military orders

Any other suggestions for UUs, UBs?
    Also, any ideas for bonuses and art for these three?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  5. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

well UB for military order like: +1 xp for melee/mounted. or UB +1 esp. small buildings as hospitalers have. its an idea, not ready buildings.

6. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

The year is 1224 in the latest SVN 1200 start, and not a single company present by the time of Prussia's spawn. I wonder, why?

7. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

That's not really surprising, as the 1200 AD scenario has not been updated yet. No companies were added at the start date, to none of the cities.
    They should start appearing nevertheless - although probably slowly.
    Did you play it further? Pls report if they never appeared.

8. TheMulattoMaker

TheMulattoMaker Dictator of RF

Kontor could be something straight-forward like +1 trade routes. Or maybe it can only get the extra route with other Hansa cities.

EDIT: Never mind, just got caught up on the SVN thread where you mentioned this was already done.

...and a question- if a company leaves a city that has the UB, what happens to the building?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  9. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

UBs stay even if the company leaves.
    I felt this was necessary for gameplay, to avoid situations where you (or the AI) invest in the building just to become disabled right after completion.
    Also - though not perfectly the same situation - company UUs stay with your civ after all.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  10. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Ok, few thing about the order of the dragon.

I have found a hungarian page with some details. (http://www.sarkanyoslovagrend.hu/docs/index_kiadvany_forras.htm)
    according to it, they had a military wing and were organising the defence against ottomomans and also had an alliance-like function with diplomats (mostly in HRE +
    poland ).
    So my idea to use res: Horse, timber, salt-or-wine and silver. UB: a fairy ground or noble garden/court.
    fairy ground +1 xp for mounted unit +2 for light cav. +1 commerce with horse
    Noble court: +1 gold and +1 tech breaker for each required res, so its max +4 breaker/city

11. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Keep in mind, that there is a vanilla bonus from resources (as in the vanilla corporation system).
    So in this case, no need for anything like your proposed Noble Court UB, as it can be included in the base resource bonus.
    i.e.: the company itself gives +1 gold and +1 beaker for each resource, when it is present in a city.

PS: also you can get more instances from a given resource, the bonus is added /number of resources, not /type.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  12. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

oh didnt know... :crazyeye:

13. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Btw, these are the current stats for UUs and UBs:

Templar Knight: Heavy Cavalry, 100 base cost, 13 strenght, no defensive bonuses, 1 first strike, +10% city strength
    Teutonic Knight: Heavy Cavalry, 100 base cost, 14 strenght, no defensive bonuses
    Knight of St. John: Heavy Infantry, 60 base cost, 8 strenght, +50% city defence, +25% vs. Polearm, starts with Medic, March
    Calatrava Knight: Heavy Infantry, 60 base cost, 9 strenght, +10% city strenght, +25% attack vs Swordsman, Maceman unit classes
    Knight of the Dragon: Heavy Infantry, 80 base cost, 12 strenght, +10% vs light and heavy cavalry, may cause small collateral damage

Infirmary: 60 base cost, +2 health, heals units +10% per turn
    Kontor: 80 base cost, +1 trade route, +25% foreign trade route yield

Note that Calatrava Knight comes somewhat later, Knight of the Dragon much later than the othe other 3 military orders.
    Any suggestions for further improvements? Also, I feel that Templars and Teutons could use a more unique/fun bonus.

14. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

The Templar and Teutonic Knights are already rather powerful IMO as high-strength heavy cavalry without maluses to city combat, even slightly overpowered.

15. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Sure, they are powerful enough. I didn't mean making them stronger, just maybe making the bonuses less dull.

16. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

On company resources:
    Should iron be a desired resource for all Military Orders, and horse for most?
    Does anyone have specific suggestions for any of the companies?
    I read some about the background of most, but still a little hard to come up with a balanced resource (and bonus) list.
    For example I plan to have Augsburg with a production bonus, mostly from precious resources.

17. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Another question:
    When should the Hanseatic League start in your opinion?
    Even thought the official foundation date of the league is 1358, Hansa cities and similar pacts were active well before that.

18. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

According to hungarian wiki: it started to be big in 1159 (cloclwork) and a strong decline were in the 16th century. Also it was not limited to costal cities only. I.e. novgorod was an important center. Biggest extent from london to moscow. Fur, salt, timber and grain was only a big part of the trade, but also manufactured goods and taxtols too. Imo with new company-system we could add provinces to company spread map and take away costal restriction. Btw, can you add more res to a company?

19. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

I have an idea to add some fun to both templars and teutons. Make a counter for their UU. It will count UU's experience as normal GG counter. After you have enough points it give you a Great Master that can upgrade a knight, as normal generals do. Alternativly it could expand the order into any city.
    What you think?

20. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Actually coastal requirement was already changed, Hansa can now spread to both coastal and riverside cities. (This was planned all along for Hansa with the new system, Novgorod was included in the preferred provinces with that in mind. It was implemented yesterday along with the company building updates. will be up with the next commit)
    I'm still not sure about the starting date. I think it will be better for gameplay, more fun for the players if it started earlier than the late 14th century, but don't want to tie it to something arbitrary.
    Number of resource types is not limited to 4, we can have as many for each company as we want. I do plan to have 3-4 for most companies though.

El Bogus likes this.