Comparable games

Aragon

Chieftain
Can anybody recommend another game for someone who likes Civ III and wants to try something similar (or maybe better)?

Someone is out there touting Europa Universalis II in one of these threads..he is pretty convincing too. If Civ3 wasn't wasting all my time..I would probably look into it.;)

Civilization 1 and 2 ;)

All the Civilization family, in this order (from best to worst)

Alpha Centauri
Call To Power II
Civilization II
Civilization: Call To Power
Civilization I
Civilization: Test Of Time

Later you can try Caesar III, Pharaoh or Zeus Master Of Olympus, but this is enough for begining

What about Colonization? One of the best games ever, wish that Civilization had some of it feutures: cities declared independence would be very good

I just bought Europa Universalis 2 and am very impressed! It is much more complex then Civ3 and I can see myself playing it many times (great replayability like civ3). I would say the games are equally good and I enjoy each for their own reasons. Civ 3 is simple fun, Europa Universalis is much more involved and complex.

And Colonization was a great game. Too bad they didn't incorporate more of it in the civilization series, though it would require dramatic changes that would be better put in a spin-off series (ie. Civilization Advanced). It really makes no sense that the Americans are an ancient civilization (though I understand why) but if you had revolts and new civilizations forming you could imagine them forming....

Anyone with a lot of time on their hands, a heavy interest in this type of game, a fondness for multiplayer, no dislike of math, and a perfectionistic methodical character should check out an email game called Galaxy. (You can find it with "searches", I play a variant called Galaxy Explorer. I recommend searching for "Blind Galaxy" however because Galaxy Explorer may or may not ever run again.)

Galaxy is the best game I have ever found. Easily. No question at all.

The downside (I do not consider this as a downside but normal folks probably do) is that games last typically 6-15 months AND require immense amounts of time to work out each individual turn.

The Galaxy games are text-based, graphic-less, long-term strategy games.

Galaxy is not a game with any flashy effects. A person should consider carefully before joining as the game requires serious amounts of time and effort. (Once the game gets past turn 15 or so, I spend about 15-20 hours per week on it.)

Galaxy games are free, run mostly by veteran players.

One of the main problems with converting a game like Civ to multiplayer is that the turns resolve one player at a time. Anyone who wanted to play an 8-player email game where you had to wait for 7 other people to move would have to be a lunatic. Galaxy solves this by having the moves run simultaneously (in the same way that the board game Diplomacy does). Everyone writes out their orders and then all the orders run at once.

Top Bottom