1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

compared to civ3

Discussion in 'CivRev - General Discussions' started by shawntown, Aug 11, 2008.

1. shawntown

shawntown Chieftain

well, i posted this question over in the patch thread but realized thats not the place for this discussion...so new thread it is:

from a civ 3 perspective (since i never played civ 4) what do you vets of 3 like about civrev? what features would you characterize as improvements in this console version of the game? (and as an aside, how bloody wierd is it to play with a button controller rather than mouse and keyboard?!)

2. Raw Power

Raw Power Chieftain

Played Civ3 and also civ3PTW for quite some time, but it's long ago so don't shoot me if I remember wrongly.

1) It's faster, no workers, fewer buildings
    2) It's easier, but still varied. Easier as in fewer units, buildings, no maintenence/corruption, no unhappiness, etc.
    3) Era bonuses, not just one bonus for each civilization, but multiple bonuses which kick in the different eras.
    4) Game of the week, Firaxis made map/puzzle each week. Somewhat like GOTM here at this site, but with fewer win options.

On the bad side:
    bad AI
    less options
    somewhat easy even at higher difficulties.
    multiplayer doesn't work to well yet (PS3)

As for controlling with a gamepad that goes very well, hardly miss the keyboard and mouse at all.

3. 806slidingdoors

806slidingdoors Chieftain

Just loaded Civ3 again on my PC for a look at it. I can't believe how primative the graphics look now. When I first played Civ3, I thought the graphics were fantastic. CivRev has raised the graphics standard very high.

I was surprised at how quickly the people rioted. I had burning cities everywhere. I had to raise the luxuary rate & give the cities entertainers. Ha! I don't miss that.

And those workers were labour intensive! Road building, mining and clearing forests square by square. It is just tedious.

But I do like the choices at the start of the game. I enjoy choosing land masses & the number of civilisations to play against.

Despite all this, I would rather play on my PS3 than wait for my PC to boot. I need a new mouse too. It's CivRev for me.